Attacks on guide dogs

13»

Comments

• Options
    NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pie Chart wrote: »
    I assume Nard Dog means all dogs have the potential to be dangerous dogs.

There are a lot of staffies in my area (and some dogs I suspect are at least part pitbull) the majority of their owners get them for the wrong reasons and I worry about my happy go lucky sheepdog who loves to play with every and any dog, and gets a bit confused when a dog snaps at him. He's never been attacked but then he's very young.

I'm all for compulsory chipping, as an aside...

I have a golden lab who loves everyone and when he was attacked by a rottweiler/pitbull type mix he didn't even defend himself. My dog is not small but was so shocked he didn't do anything whilst the animal attacked him (he was on a lead) the attacker was not. I beat the dog away and was lucky I didn't get hurt the owner just stood there.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Coincidence that there is a thread on guide dogs today. I just came back from town and a guide dog did a whoopsie (three dollops and a puddle no less).in the bank.
    The partially sighted owner was mortified at what he had done. People started telling her. I felt really sorry for her.
    A kind lady customer helped her pick them up wih a doggy bag and the bank staff put a wet floor sign up and they quickly came to mop the floor clean.
    Naughty doggy :o

And nice people and staff:D
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    don't make me you're example. i'm simply saying that my dog is smaller than a cat and couldn't hurt you if he tried.

My dog is also smaller than a cat, has the best sweetest nature in the world and everyone who meets her wants one just like her.:D But she is a dog and I respect her, other dog owners and people who are not in the least interested in her or dogs in general. Anyone who thinks small dogs are not capable of biting or under provocative circumstances behaving badly dont understand dogs. Certainly they cannot kill or main but they can be quite tenacious and ferocious given certain circumstances. Not mine of course:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    As can people be, if they are not properly trained or brought up, in the case of dogs bred for aggressiveness they need to be handled by especially experienced or trained owners.

but dogs aren't humans

we can make sure they're not at liberty to do damage before the event
    it's not about dangerous dogs, it's about ALL dogs

it's still not getting through is it?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the country would be a much safer place with many humans on leads with their hands tied by their sides. Properly trained non dangerous dogs shouldn't be any problem off the leash in a park etc., of course on roads they should be on a leash.

In an ideal world - yes. But as you well know there are people out there who do not train their dogs and allow them to attack people and other dogs, jump up people, chase people, cr*p everywhere and these are often the very people who think their dog's behaviour is fine and doesn't need to be on a lead.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    but dogs aren't humans

we can make sure they're not at liberty to do damage before the event
    it's not about dangerous dogs, it's about ALL dogs

it's still not getting through is it?
    Saying all dogs should be leashed is just as irrational as saying all teenagers or immigrants should be, for safety purposes. You have to deal with risk in a rational way, and there is no evidence the majority of dogs pose a significant danger to the population.
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    In an ideal world - yes. But as you well know there are people out there who do not train their dogs and allow them to attack people and other dogs, jump up people, chase people, cr*p everywhere and these are often the very people who think their dog's behaviour is fine and doesn't need to be on a lead.
    I know, which is why I am in favour of some kind of license system where people would have to go through training or show they are competant to train their own pet, with a much higher bar set for dogs bred for aggressiveness.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    My dog is also smaller than a cat, has the best sweetest nature in the world and everyone who meets her wants one just like her.:D But she is a dog and I respect her, other dog owners and people who are not in the least interested in her or dogs in general. Anyone who thinks small dogs are not capable of biting or under provocative circumstances behaving badly dont understand dogs. Certainly they cannot kill or main but they can be quite tenacious and ferocious given certain circumstances. Not mine of course:D:D:D:D

i understand that i have said it in this very thread on the first page.
    and all dogs have the potential to be aggressive. and dog owners need to realise that. i'm pretty sure that the owner of every dog that ever mauled someone thought that their dog would never do something like that.....

....but they are primitive animals, that they love you their pack leader, doesn't inform you what they are going to do when a toddler pokes them in the eye and tries to shove a stick up their bum.
    but in respect of the danger the fact that despite the possibility of the inclination it would be ineffectual is pertinent to any solution. there is no point solving a problem that doesn't exist.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    i understand that i have said it in this very thread on the first page.

but in respect of the danger the fact that despite the possibility of the inclination it would be ineffectual is pertinent to any solution. there is no point solving a problem that doesn't exist.
    I have a small scar on my hand from where my grandmother's yorkie bit me when I was a toddler. Small dogs can hurt as well.
    And what if your dog ran up to a bigger dog and starting biting its legs, what if the bigger dog got fed up with this behaviour and decided to bite back - who do you think would come off worse?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying all dogs should be leashed is just as irrational as saying all teenagers or immigrants should be, for safety purposes. You have to deal with risk in a rational way, and there is no evidence the majority of dogs pose a significant danger to the population.

I know, which is why I am in favour of some kind of license system where people would have to go through training or show they are competant to train their own pet, with a much higher bar set for dogs bred for aggressiveness.

So you're in favour of dog licences but not having dogs on leads in public places?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I have a small scar on my hand from where my grandmother's yorkie bit me when I was a toddler. Small dogs can hurt as well.
    And what if your dog ran up to a bigger dog and starting biting its legs, what if the bigger dog got fed up with this behaviour and decided to bite back - who do you think would come off worse?
    poor you i demand that someone do something so as this can never happen again.

You can't seriously be suggesting that this is a problem? That anything needs to be done to stop you getting a small scar on your hand?
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    So you're in favour of dog licences but not having dogs on leads in public places?
    It may be dogs trained for aggressiveness need to be muzzled, I don't know what the statistics are on attacks, but if some breeds are vastly more likely to attack people or pets then logic would say they should be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think a short compulsory course would have no affect on the people you want to target whilst adding to the costs of and inconveniencing everyone else.

Agreed, you only have to look at people driving on roads who are morons and can;t even follow the basics of road safety to show that 'long' courses in various things still won;t make things sink in or change people's behaviour.