Lost my IPhone 4S - worried about my data

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
Forum Member
✭✭
Last night I lost my phone (I believe) on a train, I have reported my phone lost with my mobile provider and I have the number for the trains lost property department so right now there is very little I can do since I lost my phone about 11/11.30pm last night. My mobile phone provider was nice and they said that they have locked my sim card and my handset but it has just dawned on me that they have probably locked my original handset which I couldn't use anymore after I dropped my phone and the screen cracked, when I replaced the handset I never let my mobile provider know. I was already worried about losing all my photos and my contact numbers (I have no idea if I actually ever bothered setting up ICloud on this handset), but now I am even more worried about someone being able to access all my data on my phone.

I have my emails on there (including my work emails), my social media accounts, and also a banking app (which is concerning me the most). My phone will most likely be locked with the standard passcode (and has probably run out of battery by now!) but I have no way of remotely accessing or further locking my phone as I never installed/ set up Find my IPhone (which everything on Google seems to point to). I just have no idea how likely it is that someone would be able to bypass my passcode and have full access to my phone (minus the sim card). I really do doubt that I will be able to get my phone back but I am just getting myself worked up that someone is out there going through all my stuff. I don't really care if they wipe the phone and sell it on (in fact I would prefer that), it's just the not knowing where it is and what they are doing with it which is driving me mad.

I just feel so frustrated, stupid, and anxious:(

Comments

• mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ekk what a nightmare, don't have a clue what else you can do :(
    People are sometimes honest so it may turn up yet. You have double checked at home,car, work etc etc as sometimes it's mislaid in one of these places too, just a thought.
    Hope you get it back xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you mocha-latte for replying, I know that I didn't leave it anywhere else. I had the phone in my hand when I was on the train, I then put it in a pocket and then when I got off the train there phone was no longer there. I usually keep my phone in my bag but I didn't go out with a bag and now I remember why I hate pockets>:(.

I have an idea what I am going to do today to get a replacement handset whilst I wait and hope that somebody has handed my phone in. I was looking on the train lines website and it seems that I am going to have to find the IME(?) number, I am pretty sure I still have the box for my phone so that shouldn't be a problem. I have also checked iCloud and it doesn't look like I have used it with this handset so I have (potentially) lost a lot of data.

I still don't like the idea that someone may be able to get into my phone but I am feeling slightly more positive now that I have a plan. I am just raring to get up and out there so that I can start sorting this out but I have to wait for everywhere to open. I did however manage to get a couple of hours sleep so I haven't been awake all night!

I noticed after posting here in Advice that there is a Mobile Phone forum and I am wondering if it might be worth posting there or maybe a mod can move it there (I have no idea how that would work?). I didn't want to post there straight away just in case it was against the rules (I am probably over thinking this).
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you not got the "find my iphone" app so you can track it down?

Edit, just seen you havent.

I'm sure your provider would have locked the phone via the phone number, and so the phone can't be accessed. Ring them back and check
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The immediate priority - if you haven't already done it - is change all your passwords for anything you had on the phone. Particularly the banking.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The immediate priority - if you haven't already done it - is change all your passwords for anything you had on the phone. Particularly the banking.

If it's a banking app then you usually can't change the password. The app is synced (if that's the right word) to that phone only and the code is a unique one which shouldn't match anything you would enter to check your online banking. I had to delete all my old apps when I got a new phone to install them again on my new phone, this was for banking, electricity top ups etc
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    If it's a banking app then you usually can't change the password. The app is synced (if that's the right word) to that phone only and the code is a unique one which shouldn't match anything you would enter to check your online banking. I had to delete all my old apps when I got a new phone to install them again on my new phone, this was for banking, electricity top ups etc

Really? Bloody Hell ... reason never to do my banking via my phone.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi OP,

No one has pointed out yet that it doesn't matter that you changed your handset, your mobile operator would have locked whatever phone your sim card was in. So I would relax a bit. Even if they didn't it's actually pretty difficult to get around a phone lock without completely wiping the handset.

I would probably change some of your passwords just to be on the safe side but it's not a massive issue. It's pretty unlikely that however found it would know how to hack a phone and would be malicious enough to go through your private information. believe it or not the majority of people out there are pretty honest :)
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi OP,

No one has pointed out yet that it doesn't matter that you changed your handset, your mobile operator would have locked whatever phone your sim card was in. So I would relax a bit. Even if they didn't it's actually pretty difficult to get around a phone lock without completely wiping the handset.

I would probably change some of your passwords just to be on the safe side but it's not a massive issue. It's pretty unlikely that however found it would know how to hack a phone and would be malicious enough to go through your private information. believe it or not the majority of people out there are pretty honest :)

The above poster is correct, it's the number that is blocked not the phone :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello again everyone,

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have changed a lot of my passwords as a precaution (just to be on the safe side). I have spoken to my bank and they said that it is unlikely that anyone (this is assuming that they were able to bypass the passcode to my phone AND the passcode to access my banking app) would actually be able to cause much harm as a lot of first time actions on the app require you to either login into online banking and/ or use a pin entry device, my card details, and my pin code. They have put a note on my account to be aware of any suspicious activity as a precaution.

I have managed to report my phone lost with the train company and they are on the lookout for my phone and will let me know if they recover it at the lost property office (they say this process could take over a week :o). In the mean time I have been able to get a replacement sim card and handset, however because I reported my phone as lost they deactivated my account. My phone provider is now having a hard time reactivating my account. If this problem doesn't get resolved within 24 hours it will have to go to a higher department. Apparently this is a common problem :confused:.

Overall I am feeling a lot better than I was, I hope I do get my handset back but I am not holding my breath. I have spoken to a few people about it and the general consensus seems to be that if someone did take it they are most likely to just wipe the phone and sell it on than try and hack into the phone and look at all my data.

You will be pleased to know one of the first things I did with this new handset was set up my ICloud account and activate Find my IPhone!