Bin Lorry Crashes Into Pedestrians - Glasgow

Comments

• Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    We'll soon see who's right. :mad:

This isn't a competition to see who was 'right'.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest (in fact quite the opposite) that this was anything other than a tragic accident.
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    "Six people who went out to finish their Christmas shopping today will not be going home tonight"

Thanks for that lovely and completely unnecessary sentiment, Sky News. >:(
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Six people who went out to finish their Christmas shopping today will not be going home tonight"

Exactly why I never watch it, the sheer tackiness of their journalism never fails to amaze me.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Burley quote i presume?
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruthus wrote: »
    If it is a heart attack I think we'll need to have a think about certain people being allowed to drive on our roads.

Anyone with a heart condition or who is overweight could be at danger of being banned for the safety of others.

Lorry drivers and taxi drivers have to comply with the DVLA’s current medical guidelines for professionals (Group 2 drivers). They also have to have a group 2 medical every 5 years and if during that time they have any health problems they have to refer and comply with the DVLA's list. The DVLA's list also applies to Car drivers (Group1) of their responsibilities if they have health issues that can effect their driving.

https://www.gov.uk/current-medical-guidelines-dvla-guidance-for-professionals-conditions-g-to-i#more-like-this
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a look on google maps. There's no way it could have went that far down a busy street without the driver being in control of it.

armchair detective
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this anything to do with local government cutbacks ?
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    armchair detective

Dick for short...
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really very sorry to hear about this awful situation...my condolences and sympathy to everyone involved!

To those speculating about a heart attack and overweight people having heart attacks....I am 10 stone (64kg) with a 32 inch waist and have been the same since I was 18 (I'm 61 next week)...I have had 2 heart attacks, one in 2004 and one in 2008! I had a friend who died from a heart attack at 41, he was a very fit person.My first wife died from a heart attack at 53.....it can happen to anyone at any time!
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How insensitive of a sky news reporter to ask a witness describe the aftermath poor woman was distraught and upset stupid question to ask

So distraught that she chose to stay behind and gawp from behind the cordon rather than go home to her family. Reminds me of the time I walked past a man having a heart attack and being tended to by paramedics, whilst a crowd of people stood around, some eating their take away from the nearby mcdonalds.

Such a sad situation just before Xmas.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »

:confused:...
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't that long ago that there was that awful helicopter crash in Glasgow around this time of year killing several people.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God, you are disgusting.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Terrible situation today in Glasgow. As if Scotland hasn't already had a bad enough year as it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    Really very sorry to hear about this awful situation...my condolences and sympathy to everyone involved!

To those speculating about a heart attack and overweight people having heart attacks....I am 10 stone (64kg) with a 32 inch waist and have been the same since I was 18 (I'm 61 next week)...I have had 2 heart attacks, one in 2004 and one in 2008! I had a friend who died from a heart attack at 41, he was a very fit person.My first wife died from a heart attack at 53.....it can happen to anyone at any time!

Exactly.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    So distraught that she chose to stay behind and gawp from behind the cordon rather than go home to her family. Reminds me of the time I walked past a man having a heart attack and being tended to by paramedics, whilst a crowd of people stood around, some eating their take away from the nearby mcdonalds.

That is a bit harsh to accuse her of gawping. Could well be that the polis have asked her to stay so they can get a statement
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »

Perhaps she was in shock?
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    The bloke wasn't even speculating though, he was asked what went through his mind when the crash was happening, and he said that he thought it was terrorists, In that split second when he didn't know what was going on. That poster cherry picked half a conversation. And called the bloke an idiot. The man was clearly distressed and Sky News wouldn't leave him alone.

Thank you for dissecting what I thought he said. ^_^

He said he thought it was terrorists. He didnt look that stressed. Looked more like he wanted to say that. Next minute they "seemed to have lost contact with the interview". I haven't seen any other of those live interviews where they've suddenly been cut off like that!!

Of course they, and BBC, won't leave them alone. Theyre 24 hour news stations. This is a major news story. They're not going to back off interviewing whoever they can get hold of to answer their questions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member

aww wow, didn't know all that, sorry :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    God, you are disgusting.

There's been a couple of posters in this thread who seem to think it's an entertaining subject :(
  • Options
    rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member

Seen the Scottish reporter on sky ask an eyewitness twice, "tell us about the baby and the pram". The witness refused to answer. Sickening journalism.
  • Options
    geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

WTF? Everyday Im constantly amazed by the stupidity of people.

This is not a point scoring contest, we KNOW what happened. An awful tragic accident.
    We dont need idiots with google maps open talking crap
  • Options
    Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of your losses - your are absolutely right, my Mum is thin as a rake and eats healthy yet has a high cholestrol level! I have a friend who I give a good telling off to on regular occasion because he thinks that because he is tall and lanky and never puts on a lb in weight that it is ok for him to live on deep fried takeaway food! arteries harden no matter what your size if you eat wrong.

Heart health is something everybody should pay attention to - my Dad luckily had the chance to have elective heart surgery to correct an anuerysm they thankfully spotted on his valve!!
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »

?:confused: What on earth do you mean?
  • Options
    MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    Burley quote i presume?

I just can't stand the woman . She's on screen now , trying to express sadness whilst presenting the news about the truck ploughing into pedestrians in a Glasgow precinct . She'd just love to be in the thick of it asking her usual insensitive questions