Working 20 hours minimum wage - need tips to save money

124»

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Working 20 hours minimum wage - need tips to save money

So I'm about to move into my own little council flat. I'm also about to start a job that will pay me £130 a week (20 hours x £6.50). The rent is £55 which would leave me with £75 a week and then it's another £15 a week for gas/electricity, leaving £60, TV license is £6 a week which would leave me with £54 and then broadband is probably about a fiver a week as well leaving £49 and then my mobile phone bill is about £6 a week which leaves £43.

Is this enough for food and other expenses? I think it seems scary. :( Obviously it seems there isn't enough for any sort of luxuries (I've got into a routine of taking a cousin for a day out on a Saturday, I like a takeaway and a piss-up with my mates at the weekends) but will this be enough for everything else?

I'm also doing 4 hours at college a week so I needed to find a job that would fit round college/studying hours. I'm now thinking of packing in college and just try work full time so I have some sort of better quality lifestyle at home?

Any advice/money saving tips would be appreciated.

Firstly, all good wishes for your independent living! :)

Next, 3 constructive suggestions:

1. After making an appointment, pop down to your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau [see http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm] to see if you're entitled to any working age benefits/top ups and make a list of all incoming funds and all outgoing expenses.
    2. Get a book on budgeting, like this one here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Money-Life-Practical-Improving/dp/1416596623
    3. Get a book on cooking on a low income such as these here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/276-9035756-0194129?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=budget+cooking+for+students
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What fascinating insights into people's shopping / eating habits!

But to rewind...a couple of people have mentioned Housing Benefit. OP, have you applied for it yet? And Council Tax Reduction? It's for people who are working as well as those who aren't, and it's means-tested so dependent on your income, as well as the Local Housing Allowance for your area. The council will tell you what you're entitled to so have a look at their website.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow I didn't expect this thread to be so successful, lol, thanks to everyone who contributed. :)

And I did take a benefits calculator thing on Gov UK and it said I wasn't expected to pay ANY rent or council tax by myself? So I either done something wrong (I know I didn't though) or the site is messed up.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So apply for HB!! You've nothing to lose!!!!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Because that's how the TV a license say it has to be.

I mistakenly thought I had an up to date licence (I took over paying it after my mum passed), I didn't. Entirely my own fault.

So I called up to sort it. The only options were pay in full or £24 a month for 6 (IE until you've paid £145 for a licence) months then £12 a month after. That's it. There were no they options. I told them I couldn't afford £24 a month. They told me I'd have to remove my TV until I could afford it.

I told them to sod off, saved till I had the £145. Paid it in full then set up a direct debit for £12 per month.

You basically pay a year in advance. Only if you say 'so I have to pay a year in advance' they say no. But you have to have a fully paid licence to then go on to the £12 a month bill which pays for the following years license when it's renewal time.

OK, thanks for the info :)