Options

Problems with BLURAY player

I don't know whether anyone can help but I would really appreciate it if you could. I have an LG HR400 HDD recorder/Bluray player which is working fine on DVDs but the last couple of BD disks I have played have shown signs of artifacting and last night I watched a friends' copy of Avatar and this did it a couple of times but also froze briefly about 4 or 5 times. The unit is still under warranty but before I get it looked at I wondered whether this could be the disk themselves or perhaps the laser needs cleaning. As DVDs work perfectly are there two different lasers as I have a cleaning disk for DVDs but obviously this wouldn't work if they do.
Any advice from you good people.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There may well be separate lasers for DVD and Blu-Ray but I would bet a winning Lottery Ticket that they are in the same assembly. It would be very unlikely to have two laser assemblies as that would complicate the mechanicals of the player somewhat.

So give the cleaner disk a go. it certainly shouldn't do any harm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    It's always a good idea to keep the software up to date on blu-ray players. This is simple if the player has an ethernet port....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fergus74 wrote: »
    It's always a good idea to keep the software up to date on blu-ray players. This is simple if the player has an ethernet port....

This ^

My first thoughts were that the software may need updating too.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst keeping the software up to date might be a good idea most of the time the updates only address the bells and whistles of the players functions. I have done at least two updates to my player and neither has had anything to do with the core function of playing a disk.

There may well be some disks with special features that might throw a player but it ought to be able to play any standard disk straight out of the box without any updates at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Whilst keeping the software up to date might be a good idea most of the time the updates only address the bells and whistles of the players functions. I have done at least two updates to my player and neither has had anything to do with the core function of playing a disk.

There may well be some disks with special features that might throw a player but it ought to be able to play any standard disk straight out of the box without any updates at all.

True, it's just that I remember that Avatar was a problem disc for many players when it was first released. I remember a lot of people required a software update on their machine just to get it to play.
  • Options
    browny287browny287 Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Thats interesting because for the first time last night the player flashed an update software message for the first time since I have had it, normally I check manually. I did it after watching Avatar so maybe I should check to see if it made ant difference. Thanks for your help