Things that are currently very popular that you do not "get"

Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One person's trash is another's treasure, as the saying goes, but what current fads just bemuse or even bewilder you? I know there have been threads about this in the past, but it's been a while so here's a new one.

Anyway, my answers include:

- Wearing PJ's to the shops/school run
- People who post every last detail of their private lives on the web
- Derren Brown
- One Direction
- Danny Boyle films
- The Guardian newspaper (I hate all newspapers but the Guardian bewilders me because I don't think it's the beacon of purity some of the more die-hard readers seem to)
- Americanisms
- Stand-up comedy

Agree? Disagree? Have answers of your own? Vent here.

Comments

• CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wearing pyjamas out I'll never fathom. I work at a doctors and we get adults turning up in theirs!
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Agree with all yours, Laura, and I'd add reality television.
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPads/iPhones.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple stuff.
    Soaps.
    Pop singers talking about their "art."
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if some of those count as "very popular", rather than "some people like or do".

I mean sure about 230,000 people read The Guardian every day but 2.7 million people read The Sun daily so surely The Sun is the Popular one? And the Guardian is hardly a current fad either, it's been around for many years.

And the number of people I see wearing their nightwear to a shop is a tiny percentage of everyone I see using that shop.
  • RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sitting giggling to myself that I agree with all but one on your list. For my sins I quite like Derren Brown.

I suppose I would add:
    -Justin Beiber
    -Apple stuff, and this is someone with an ipod. It's nice but its not the greatest thing ever.
    -the Olymics
    -alternate comedy

there'll no doubt be loads more, but that's what I can think of at the minute.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    Dubstep
    Facebook
    iPads
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Texting

You have a phone on your hand,talk to the person!
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Twitter. I can understand its usefullness with breaking news, but the whole 'Twitter gossip' thing is beyond me.

Apple products. Don't own one, don't give a shit about them.
  • hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter
    Justin Beiber
    Most modern music - I realise this makes me sound about 100, I can't believe I've turned into my parents. Gawd help me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Attacking people on benefits when things get tight :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Texting

You have a phone on your hand,talk to the person!

It's easy to send a quick text and do other things, that to be on the phone to someone. I know I can't multitask when I'm actually on the phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if it's popular enough to count, but 3D TV is one I can't get my head round. It's an electronic version of 3D, and existing versions won't be what 3D eventually becomes.
    Am I the only one who thinks it's just the latest fad designed to sell tellies?

Just thought of another- the electric car. Surely everyone can see it's a stopgap for hydrogen fuelled cars?

Agree with all the others mentioned too.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    It's easy to send a quick text and do other things, that to be on the phone to someone. I know I can't multitask when I'm actually on the phone.

It would take me half an hour to send a text,nothing like a human voice, and I can tuck the phone under my ear and carry on doing what I am doing.I sent a text ince, it just didnt feel right,perhaps I am old,lol but then again, I love other forms of technology,I just see texting as a step backwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Diesel cars
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Twitter

Monty python (just never saw why it was funny- and I have an otherwise perfectly good sense of humour)

Harry Potter

Things like The Only Way is Essex

How getting completely trashed counts as a great night out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't get twitter because i have never used it and never intend to either. But i sometimes feel i'm the only person in the world who doesn't use it lol. i was on facebook for a while but hardly ever used it so in the end i deleted it, i can do without it but so many people can't seem to get thru the day without it.

I also hate x factor/dancing on ice/britians got talent/i'm a celeb/big brother. they just seem to be on tv constantly:yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    And yes- agree with 3 D tv too
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    -Facebook/Twitter
    - One Direction
    - the Pyjama thing
    - 3D TV, just seems pointless
    - the constant attack on the less well off when the country starts to struggle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    It would take me half an hour to send a text,nothing like a human voice, and I can tuck the phone under my ear and carry on doing what I am doing.I sent a text ince, it just didnt feel right,perhaps I am old,lol but then again, I love other forms of technology,I just see texting as a step backwards.

I can send a text within seconds :D probs why I prefer it. And you can reply to a text at your leisure.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Laura P wrote: »
    One person's trash is another's treasure, as the saying goes, but what current fads just bemuse or even bewilder you? I know there have been threads about this in the past, but it's been a while so here's a new one.

Anyway, my answers include:

- Wearing PJ's to the shops/school run
    Who does this? :confused:
    - People who post every last detail of their private lives on the web
    Not really seen people do this. Unless you mean Facebook... but that's not really "on the web" as it can easily be made private - seen by friends only.
    - Derren Brown
    Pretty sure he's not been popular for years.
    - One Direction
    Not sure who you mean.
    - Danny Boyle films
    Not sure who you mean.
    - The Guardian newspaper (I hate all newspapers but the Guardian bewilders me because I don't think it's the beacon of purity some of the more die-hard readers seem to)
    Not much a fan of any of the majour newspapers. BBC website will do me.
    - Americanisms
    Unfortunately, the amount of TV and movies coming from America, this cannot really be avoided. We need more British films and arts being made.
    - Stand-up comedy
    Love it! Try going to the Edinburgh festival one year, see the variety of up and coming comics that are actually out there.

:D
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The strange new way of writing english. I could understand (but still hate) txt spk when texting used to be relatively expensive but the way people write is mind boggling eg lyke instead of like, mi instead of my. It's the same number of letters! Another one I saw on facebook was foll for fool?!? WTF is it all about? :confused::eek::mad:
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter - it's a step too far in social networking. I don't want to know every banal thing someone does or thinks.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    Don't know if it's popular enough to count, but 3D TV is one I can't get my head round. It's an electronic version of 3D, and existing versions won't be what 3D eventually becomes.
    Am I the only one who thinks it's just the latest fad designed to sell tellies?.
    No you're absolutely right. Its nothing more than a gimmick. Unnatural and bad for your eyesight.

Plus the Japanese have rejected 3D TV so its dead in the water already.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obsession with 'cupcakes' and baking. wtf? I bake constantly but only cos I have to. I wouldn't pretend for a second it's interesting or an art. It isn't.

Tattoos. Why get someone who probably doesn't even have an A Level in Art to scribble all over you - permanently?

Sun-beds, and being orange generally.