Options

Is Ian Huntley having it too easy

AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not the most up to date article, but as the 10th anniversary of the girls' deaths approaches, apparently Ian Huntley shows absolutely no remorse or regret for what he has done. His brother has claimed that he enjoys his notoriety behind bars and even plays on it. I'm not in favour of the death penalty, but I struggle to reconcile the idea of people behind crimes like this having a relatively easy time behind bars. But then I'm not sure what else I would expect?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9384582/Ian-Huntley-refuses-to-apologise-ten-years-on-from-Soham-murders.html

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    His brother has claimed that he enjoys his notoriety behind bars and even plays on it.

He'd probably love to know there were still threads about him on the internet in that case.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    I personally wouldn't like the justice system to be based on the high water mark of a well publicised child murderer... which seems to be the general idea here.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His brother is touting a book I take it?
  • Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Not the most up to date article, but as the 10th anniversary of the girls' deaths approaches, apparently Ian Huntley shows absolutely no remorse or regret for what he has done. His brother has claimed that he enjoys his notoriety behind bars and even plays on it. I'm not in favour of the death penalty, but I struggle to reconcile the idea of people behind crimes like this having a relatively easy time behind bars. But then I'm not sure what else I would expect?

Feigned remorse or regret might be a bargaining point for a Parole hearing, but as he's unlikely to be ever released such displays are pointless, he's a killer, remorse is not on his agenda..

Other DS threads have mused on the good and bad points of our penal institutions introducing more barbaric regimes towards murderers, rapists and paedophiles.
    The majority seem to favour the more civilised, modern way, I expect they'll be along shortly to explain to us why Huntley deserves to be treated with respect and humility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't like the justice system to be based on the high water mark of a well publicised child murderer... which seems to be the general idea here.

No, that does not seem to be the general idea to me. Publicity =/= severity of the punishment. The report may well be misleading as I understood that Huntley has been attacked several times in prison and attempted suicide at least once. But the implication of the report, and seemingly of his brother's book, is that he is having a relatively easy time in prison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »

Yes. So it may well all be nonsense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    It would make a brilliant xmas gift.
  • Options
    spookedspooked Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should have been hung.
    I just can't understand why someone like him, who deprived two people of their lives, can be entitled to keep his own.