How fast have you ever driven?

Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
Forum Member
I've just got back from the M6 toll road .. I have a modified Audi RS3 and managed to nudge 160mph before I bottled it. I think it could pull up to 180 if I had enough road.

What's the fastest you've ever gone? Where?

Comments

• d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    120 mph, in several of the cars I've owned. Didn't feel safe above that in the two cars I had that could do more. Once or twice only in each car, on empty stretches of motorway in good conditions - just to see if I could.

Then I grew up.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Uncle_Phil wrote: »
    I've just got back from the M6 toll road .. I have a modified Audi RS3 and managed to nudge 160mph before I bottled it. I think it could pull up to 180 if I had enough road.

What's the fastest you've ever gone? Where?
    Well done. What do you want? A gold star or something for driving like a complete tit?
  • Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    Well done. What do you want? A gold star or something for driving like a complete tit?

My girlfriend was telling me to go faster.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    125mph. The top speed of the car I had at the time was 118mph (1992 Orion Ghia) but I managed to get a little over as it was downhill. I overtook a police car sandwiched between two trucks and got pulled over. I didn't even know it was there until I saw the lights flashing in the rearview mirror. Anyway, they just told me to keep the speed down and let me go. Didn't even get a fine. That said, it was 2am and there wasn't another car for miles. I did Manchester to Edinburgh in a little over two hours.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    55mph, which was my first driving lesson (i've only had six so far and the rest have been more technical stuff!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 120ish, Opel Manta, rural road in Aberdeenshire, 1980s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    125mph. The top speed of the car I had at the time was 118mph (1992 Orion Ghia) but I managed to get a little over as it was downhill. I overtook a police car sandwiched between two trucks and got pulled over. I didn't even know it was there until I saw the lights flashing in the rearview mirror. Anyway, they just told me to keep the speed down and let me go. Didn't even get a fine. That said, it was 2am and there wasn't another car for miles. I did Manchester to Edinburgh in a little over two hours.

Hard to believe, I did the same journey for years and have never done it two hours, even in the 70s driving a 3ltr Granada at full speed for most of the way.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Hard to believe, I did the same journey for years and have never done it two hours, even in the 70s driving a 3ltr Granada at full speed for most of the way.
    Best i managed on a drive was Stoke to Dover (250 miles) in 2hr 40min, but i left at 2am. I wouldn't try it again as there are too many cameras now. In fact the OP will be lucky if he doesn't get a ticket as the M6 toll road has variable speed cams fitted.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Best i managed on a drive was Stoke to Dover (250 miles) in 2hr 40min, but i left at 2am. I wouldn't try it again as there are too many cameras now. In fact the OP will be lucky if he doesn't get a ticket as the M6 toll road has variable speed cams fitted.

Wouldn't even be a ticket.

If he was caught at those speeds it'll be a court summons, with a long ban to follow.

I once may have got up to about 120mph on an empty stretch of the M40 in the middle of the night, but it didn't feel very safe - I wouldn't ever do it again. It's just too fast. I'm not convinced humans can 'think quickly' enough at those sorts of speeds. You're going to be toast if something goes wrong which cannot be predicted, even in a modern car.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine was in a Mercedes 230E. It was well over 100mph on a German Autobahn in the mid 1980s.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Wouldn't even be a ticket.

If he was caught at those speeds it'll be a court summons, with a long ban to follow.

I once may have got up to about 120mph on an empty stretch of the M40 in the middle of the night, but it didn't feel very safe - I wouldn't ever do it again. It's just too fast. I'm not convinced humans can 'think quickly' enough at those sorts of speeds. You're going to be toast if something goes wrong which cannot be predicted, even in a modern car.
    LOL that's true....he might get a mention here! :D:D

Some food for thought for the OP! :D:D
    Under the current rules, getting caught at between 101-110mph in a 70mph limit (i.e. on a dual carriageway or motorway) will result in 6 penalty points or a driving ban of up to 56 days. Go beyond that and being disqualified from driving is a certainty, going to jail a possibility. In 2007 a man was jailed and given a three year ban after being caught at 172mph in a Porsche 911 Turbo, near Oxford.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    I was only a passenger, but almost 200 kph in Western Australia on a straight piece of road in the middle of nowhere with nobody around.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    30 mph.

I only ever drove 3 times after passing my test, all in town.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    not at the wheel of control but off the clock on the back of a 400/4.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    150mph, on a Honda Fireblade.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been the passenger in a car doing 160, but never been above 110 myself.
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't drive.

I will look at other threads.
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the LED/LCD (?) speedo on an Astra GTE 16v some 20 years ago is to be believed ?

Then 143 apparently.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well you're a bloody idiot that deserves a ban. You think that excuse will hold up in court? Grow up.
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You still talking about driving now ?
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »

'A little over' - aye, right.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

That is simply not true. I'm not saying I've done the same speeds as the OP with the tiny penis, but I've certainly averaged 90ish on dozens of occasions.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    That is simply not true. I'm not saying I've done the same speeds as the OP with the tiny penis, but I've certainly averaged 90ish on dozens of occasions.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    140mph :blush:

I'm not proud of it, it was also on the M6 Toll. We'd recently got an Astra Twin Top with the same 2.0 turbo engine in it as the VXR and I got a bit carried away. It's top speed was allegedly 150mph.

Prior to that it was 135mph on the M62 in my Golf GTI (best car ever).

Like I said though, I'm not proud of it.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    188 MPH in a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta - on a racetrack.

160 MPH in 5.7 B12 Alpina - on an autobahn several years ago.

135 MPH in a Mustang GT - on the A421 Bedford bypass.

Got sent on a Speeding Awareness Course for doing 58 MPH, near Oxford, in an Astra.