Options

The Doctor's aging in TTOTD...

ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...means no timey wimey explanation necessary should Matt make a guest appearance as 11 at a later date when he is visibly older...

Well done Moffat....again:)

Comments

• Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    ...means no timey wimey explanation necessary should Matt make a guest appearance as 11 at a later date when he is visibly older...

Well done Moffat....again:)

That wont work as he never left Trenzalore properly during the time he aged
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    That wont work as he never left Trenzalore properly during the time he aged

It was also implied the Time Lords sent the Second Doctor straight to Earth after the War Games, but a Multi-Doctor story soon disproved that. ;)

A lot can happen in 300+ years! :D
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was also implied the Time Lords sent the Second Doctor straight to Earth after the War Games, but a Multi-Doctor story soon disproved that. ;)

A lot can happen in 300+ years! :D

Yeah that's what I was thinking :)
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I liked his aging in this episode as I alway's assumed that if he stayed in a body long enough, it would age just like it presumably did with hartnell. As such it didn't make sense to me how he had a supposed 200 year farewell tour in series 6 and did not visibly age
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At one point he looked a lot like Gordon Ramsay ...
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I liked his aging in this episode as I alway's assumed that if he stayed in a body long enough, it would age just like it presumably did with hartnell. As such it didn't make sense to me how he had a supposed 200 year farewell tour in series 6 and did not visibly age

My guess is that his body deteriorates based on the energies and situations he is exposed to rather than just the passage of time. Maybe that's why the second Doctor once said that Time Lords could live forever, barring accidents. If they just spent all their time in the safety of Gallifrey maybe they'd never wear out and never need to regnerate!

It could also be that the effects accelerate as he begins to wear out. So once he started to look old after the first 300 years of Trenzalore he could have gone rapidly downhill from there. For all we know, Clara's second visit could have only been ten years after her first!
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Well, it doesn't because his aging was basically a rubbery mask. So unless he happens to look like a rubbery puppet when he's older, it makes no difference.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    My guess is that his body deteriorates based on the energies and situations he is exposed to rather than just the passage of time. Maybe that's why the second Doctor once said that Time Lords could live forever, barring accidents. If they just spent all their time in the safety of Gallifrey maybe they'd never wear out and never need to regnerate!

It could also be that the effects accelerate as he begins to wear out. So once he started to look old after the first 300 years of Trenzalore he could have gone rapidly downhill from there. For all we know, Clara's second visit could have only been ten years after her first!

like the theory but the only flaw I can see in that is that hartnell's doctor was pretty aged to the point where he had to regenerate of old age and he had spent most of his time just on gallifrey, before running away
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    like the theory but the only flaw I can see in that is that hartnell's doctor was pretty aged to the point where he had to regenerate of old age and he had spent most of his time just on gallifrey, before running away

Maybe having kids and Grandkids aged him prematurely :D

Or maybe a Time Lord's first body ages more normally but after regeneration the ageing happens differently.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    My theory is that he was using up the last bit of his regeneration energy to slow down the ageing process either before or when he was on Trenzalore he completely ran out and then started to age.

Maybe that is another reason River was unhappy with them when he healed her wrist as that could have cost him about 100 years