Famous Doctor Who fans

Matt_WilsonMatt_Wilson Posts: 69
Forum Member
I was wondering do any of you know any famous Doctor Who fans?

I have made a list here, http://t.co/e3fT9sYA9I but you guys know any others

Comments

• DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Paul Merton as anti-Who? Certainly not the new stuff, he's mentioned it favourably several times on HIGNFY.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Paul Merton as anti-Who? Certainly not the new stuff, he's mentioned it favourably several times on HIGNFY.
    He hates the Classic show but likes the new ones.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For sure Frank Skinner. He's always talking about it on his Absolute podcast. One of the reason I started listening to it.

Came for the fandom, stayed for the warmth and humour!
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's one or both of Lucas and Walliams who are fans but I remember that when the final episode of the Little Britain radio show, narrated by Tom Baker, was broadcast the continuity announcer came on saying "It's the end but the moment has been prepared for" before going on to note that the show was coming to BBC TV in the near future. Of course that could just be the announcer being a T Baker fan and taking the opportunity to make a fairly recondite reference. :)
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice list, obviously a few months ago, Capaldi would have been on the list too :)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonathan Ross and Jo Whiley, always seem to be there at preview episodes even if they actually aren't..........

:)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Fern Britton hates it - well, actually ALL sci-fi - as she once announced on Room 101 much to a lot of booing from the audience and Frank Skinner!
    Jonathan Ross is a fan, and I believe Adam Woodyatt of EastEnders is too.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can list the talking heads who appeared in BBC3's Ultimate Guide To Doctor Who, which BBC3 had to repeat this weekend in place of the series 8 finale. - Al Murray, McFly, Kayvan Novak, Jon Culshaw.

Your list of people who hate Doctor Who misses out the number 1 hater by a country mile - Michael Grade. Boo! Hiss!
  • Crocodile TearsCrocodile Tears Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fern Britton hates it - well, actually ALL sci-fi - as she once announced on Room 101 much to a lot of booing from the audience and Frank Skinner!
    Jonathan Ross is a fan, and I believe Adam Woodyatt of EastEnders is too.
    John Simm's son is a fan too.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Ross and Jo Whiley, always seem to be there at preview episodes even if they actually aren't..........

I could well believe that Ross is sincere, though I don't expect him to be a hardcore fan like Skinner.

But I'm less convinced about Whiley. She jumps on any trendy bandwagon and then pretends she was always a fan, long before it became cool amongst the plebs. Perhaps, really, it was just her kids who liked it.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    Hello. New Doctor Who fan, here.

I started watching it on Netflix a couple of months ago. I didn't see all of Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor, though I saw all of Davis Tennant's Doctor and I've just finished Matt Smith's first series.

Thoroughly enjoying it so far which is not something that I ever thought I'd say.
    I could well believe that Ross is sincere, though I don't expect him to be a hardcore fan like Skinner.

But I'm less convinced about Whiley. She jumps on any trendy bandwagon and then pretends she was always a fan, long before it became cool amongst the plebs. Perhaps, really, it was just her kids who liked it.

I agree with this.

Having seen Jo Wiley on Never Mind The Buzzcocks she said "I've never liked Coldplay" because not liking them was the topic of conversation...though I'm sure that she used to play them a lot on Radio 1.

I believe that Ross is a fan though.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    For sure Frank Skinner. He's always talking about it on his Absolute podcast. One of the reason I started listening to it.

Came for the fandom, stayed for the warmth and humour!

I sometimes catch the show on Saturday mornings. I'm not always a fan of Frank's humour, it's all very "funny in a groany sort of way" which doesn't really appeal. He bounces off his two co-hosts well though, and his love of Doctor Who is always mentioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    I sometimes catch the show on Saturday mornings. I'm not always a fan of Frank's humour, it's all very "funny in a groany sort of way" which doesn't really appeal. He bounces off his two co-hosts well though, and his love of Doctor Who is always mentioned.
    Good thing about Skinner is that he likes both eras, Classic and New. It would have been easy for him to slag of the old series.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Hello. New Doctor Who fan, here.

I started watching it on Netflix a couple of months ago. I didn't see all of Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor, though I saw all of Davis Tennant's Doctor and I've just finished Matt Smith's first series.

Thoroughly enjoying it so far which is not something that I ever thought I'd say.

I agree with this.

Having seen Jo Wiley on Never Mind The Buzzcocks she said "I've never liked Coldplay" because not liking them was the topic of conversation...though I'm sure that she used to play them a lot on Radio 1.

I believe that Ross is a fan though.

I would imagine Jo Wiley is a fan

of David Tennant the person ....!
  • ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toyah Wilcox is a big long time fan of Dr Who. She was on the More Than 30 Years in the Tardis documentary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artmuzz wrote: »
    Toyah Wilcox is a big long time fan of Dr Who. She was on the More Than 30 Years in the Tardis documentary.

If I remember rightly, Mike Gatting is a fan too, who was also in that documentary.

As for Jo Wiley, I don't know a lot about her, I just pointed out that she always seems to be at the preview screenings. I agree it could be for her kids, because it's cool, or any of the other points raised.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I remember rightly, Mike Gatting is a fan too, who was also in that documentary.

As for Jo Wiley, I don't know a lot about her, I just pointed out that she always seems to be at the preview screenings. I agree it could be for her kids, because it's cool, or any of the other points raised.

Mike Gatting was a cricketer. No prizes to guess who his favourite Doctor was.;-)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Mike Gatting was a cricketer. No prizes to guess who his favourite Doctor was.;-)

Well, the fourth Doctor did bowl a hell of a googly. :)

Craig Ferguson, obviously! Also Charlie Brooker, Stewart Lee, David Walliams for sure, Jon Culshaw....

Just on a comedy vibe here, it seems...Kenneth Williams was rather impressed by Jamie McCrimmon according to his diaries.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoe Ball definitely is. She presented the 2013 programme, "Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor," in which Peter Capaldi was revealed as Matt Smith's successor.

She even mentioned her love for the show during the 30 minutes she was on.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Kenneth Branagh has said he likes the show, and even expressed an interest in appearing in it at one point (around 2006/07). I think he would make a great Doctor, actually.

The Queen herself is believed to watch the show, or at least did when it returned in 2005 - whether she does now is anyone's guess, but she allegedly owns the Eccleston series on DVD at least. In my head, the Queen is a fierce Nine fanatic.

Prince Charles has been a fan of Doctor Who since he was 15, apparently. He spoke to Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman about it on his visit to Roath Lock Studios with Camilla a couple of years back. He was apparently very inquisitive about the controls of the TARDIS, and has even been asked to appear in the show before - though wasn't able to. Moffat has since said there will be a role for him in the series if he ever wants it.

David Beckham has described watching Doctor Who with his family as one of his favourite pasttimes.

Gillian Anderson has said the show is brilliant and would love to appear in it at some stage. She has previously been connected to false casting rumours that connect her to The Rani (whilst I personally would love her as the companion!).

Stephen Fry has been a self-confessed fan of the show, and was even lined up to write an allegedly 1920's-set episode for Series 2, Episode 11 which ultimately became Matthew Graham's Fear Her instead. More recently, Fry has expressed less of a personal interest in the show, describing it as a wonderfully written childrens show, but also suggesting that it had become a children's programme exclusively, and that the BBC gave it far too much attention.

Tom Hanks watched Doctor Who when he lived in California in the late 60's and early 70's. He has said he still likes the show, though whether he still watches is anyone's guess.

George Lucas has described himself as a fan of the series, whilst those in the Star Wars fandom are under the impression that some of the expanded Star Wars universe has been inspired by Lucas' interest in Doctor Who.

Stephen Hawking is a fan of Doctor Who pretty much to this day, and even spoke out in favour of a female Doctor ahead of the casting of Peter Capaldi. It's also speculated Moffat has tried to get Hawking on board for a cameo in the show.

Brian Cox is a fan of the show, having fronted a special programme for the BBC surrounding the show as part of its anniversary line-up, and also appearing briefly in Series 7's The Power of Three.

Richard Dawkin's apparently enjoys the show, and cameo'd in Series 4's The Stolen Earth.

Meatloaf...apparently.

Judi Dench has expressed an interest in making an appearance in Doctor Who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kenneth Branagh has said he likes the show, and even expressed an interest in appearing in it at one point (around 2006/07). I think he would make a great Doctor, actually.

The Queen herself is believed to watch the show, or at least did when it returned in 2005 - whether she does now is anyone's guess, but she allegedly owns the Eccleston series on DVD at least. In my head, the Queen is a fierce Nine fanatic.

Prince Charles has been a fan of Doctor Who since he was 15, apparently. He spoke to Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman about it on his visit to Roath Lock Studios with Camilla a couple of years back. He was apparently very inquisitive about the controls of the TARDIS, and has even been asked to appear in the show before - though wasn't able to. Moffat has since said there will be a role for him in the series if he ever wants it.

David Beckham has described watching Doctor Who with his family as one of his favourite pasttimes.

Gillian Anderson has said the show is brilliant and would love to appear in it at some stage. She has previously been connected to false casting rumours that connect her to The Rani (whilst I personally would love her as the companion!).

Stephen Fry has been a self-confessed fan of the show, and was even lined up to write an allegedly 1920's-set episode for Series 2, Episode 11 which ultimately became Matthew Graham's Fear Her instead. More recently, Fry has expressed less of a personal interest in the show, describing it as a wonderfully written childrens show, but also suggesting that it had become a children's programme exclusively, and that the BBC gave it far too much attention.

Tom Hanks watched Doctor Who when he lived in California in the late 60's and early 70's. He has said he still likes the show, though whether he still watches is anyone's guess.

George Lucas has described himself as a fan of the series, whilst those in the Star Wars fandom are under the impression that some of the expanded Star Wars universe has been inspired by Lucas' interest in Doctor Who.

Stephen Hawking is a fan of Doctor Who pretty much to this day, and even spoke out in favour of a female Doctor ahead of the casting of Peter Capaldi. It's also speculated Moffat has tried to get Hawking on board for a cameo in the show.

Brian Cox is a fan of the show, having fronted a special programme for the BBC surrounding the show as part of its anniversary line-up, and also appearing briefly in Series 7's The Power of Three.

Richard Dawkin's apparently enjoys the show, and cameo'd in Series 4's The Stolen Earth.

Meatloaf...apparently.

Judi Dench has expressed an interest in making an appearance in Doctor Who.
    I take Fry's comments with a pinch of salt. He often says things to get a reaction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »

*Rubs chin in ponderous Pertwee Manner.*

Erm......*******Thinking******

Just going back to that 30 Years in the TARDIS Documentary, it always amused me that Gerry 'Thunderbirds' Anderson's son preferred Doctor Who to any shows he'd created!

:D