Fanfiction - Discussion & Recommendations

Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
Forum Member
I know there's been a few posts on fanfiction in relation to the Doctor Who universe but I thought having one consistent thread where people can either recommend their own (or other people's) fanfiction to fellow posters or even to air their own thoughts about fanfiction - likes/dislike, writing styles, etc would be good.

So, a recommendation ...

Companion Chatroom by TheChildOfTheTARDIS ....

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8862307/1/Companion-Chatroom

If ever you wanted to see how the New Series companions were like on an internet forum, this would be it.

I'm gutted I didn't think of the idea myself.

I will post about my own views on fanfic etc in a bit.

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am no fan of fan fiction. Or at least that which I have read. It all too often seems to be little more that poorly written wish fulfillment which mistakes taking existing catchphrases and repeating them for actual dialogue. I cannot claim go be an expert but I don't know how you track down the decent stuff among all the drivel.

Doctor: Geronimo!

Amy: Doctor! How do we escape the planet of gjaksnsisuuuuhphis? Are you going to reverse the polarity flow?

Doctor: Oh Amy Pond. The girl who waited. We have to run. Run so very fast. For I am the last of the timelords and...

Amy: look out Doctor! Its the Master! And he is wearing a fob watch and riding a Dalek! And oh look. Here comes an Ice Warrior!

Doctor: don't blink Amy!

Rory: what about my name badge? Did I ever explain that to you?

Doctor: not now Rory. The Master seems to have turned into Benedict Cumberbatch

Amy: lets go to Hogwarts! I am sure Ron Weasley can help us

Doctor: Geronimo! Kiss me Amy. Oh hi River!

River: Hello sweetie

The End
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    It can be a mixed bag. There is a lot of bad stuff out there but there are some good stuff and there are writers who seem capable of at least writing for the characters objectively and with actual plotlines.

There's a guy on Whofic and ff.net who writes some utterly brilliant 3rd Doctor stuff - JJPOR I think he's called. It's honestly the type of stuff that you could easily imagine as actual proper DW stories, given the amount of care, attention and consistency he puts into them.

I have to admit, I do find myself rather wary of Rose stories, because most of them are frankly terrible though.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    I am no fan of fan fiction. Or at least that which I have read. It all too often seems to be little more that poorly written wish fulfillment which mistakes taking existing catchphrases and repeating them for actual dialogue. I cannot claim go be an expert but I don't know how you track down the decent stuff among all the drivel.

Doctor: Geronimo!

Amy: Doctor! How do we escape the planet of gjaksnsisuuuuhphis? Are you going to reverse the polarity flow?

Doctor: Oh Amy Pond. The girl who waited. We have to run. Run so very fast. For I am the last of the timelords and...

Amy: look out Doctor! Its the Master! And he is wearing a fob watch and riding a Dalek! And oh look. Here comes an Ice Warrior!

Doctor: don't blink Amy!

Rory: what about my name badge? Did I ever explain that to you?

Doctor: not now Rory. The Master seems to have turned into Benedict Cumberbatch

Amy: lets go to Hogwarts! I am sure Ron Weasley can help us

Doctor: Geronimo! Kiss me Amy. Oh hi River!

River: Hello sweetie

The End

In amongst the crap there is some decent stuff, I especially like the femslash :p.
    Forum Member
    In amongst the crap there is some decent stuff, I especially like the femslash :p.

There are slash and femslash LJ communities. Some of the stuff can be hit and miss.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I freely admit I probably haven't delved enough so great idea for a thread. I am sure there us good stuff out there but I've seen too much of the above to pursue.
    Forum Member
    I freely admit I probably haven't delved enough so great idea for a thread. I am sure there us good stuff out there but I've seen too much of the above to pursue.

I should probably go through my list and recommend some more stuff but you could try both Whofic and Fanfiction.net and use the drop down menus for stuff, which will weedle out the things you don't want to read - mostly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Youth is Wasted on the Young: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6739225/1/Youth-is-Wasted-on-the-Young

The thing I like most about this story, is that out of all the DW fanfiction I have read, it is the only one that could actually be made into an episode. It's not drabbles (fun as they can be), it's not an AU that's just a rewrite with only one change, its not over-saturated in shipping like 5/7 the website.

It's an actual story that one would expect as a television story.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite fond of a DW House MD crossover story called "The Doctors" (and I don't usually like crossovers)
    Its a fairly short 9th Doc Rose Jack story. Rose is sick, The Doctor is grumpy and Jack flirts a lot

http://dw-cross.livejournal.com/3918.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I would recommend the fic called 'The Companion Who Never Was.' Give it time, it gets better as it goes along.

I didn't write it or anything...
    Forum Member
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    Youth is Wasted on the Young: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6739225/1/Youth-is-Wasted-on-the-Young

The thing I like most about this story, is that out of all the DW fanfiction I have read, it is the only one that could actually be made into an episode. It's not drabbles (fun as they can be), it's not an AU that's just a rewrite with only one change, its not over-saturated in shipping like 5/7 the website.

It's an actual story that one would expect as a television story.

I've read bits of that one, it is rather good.

Need to catch up with the rest of it.