Time for Moffatt to go?

Comments

• sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    The guy helming a still distinctly 'as-popular-as-ever' flagship show, selling to many different nations and audiences?

I think it's time to go when he feels like it.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russell ran the show very successfully for four years as head writer/producer, gaining two BAFTA nominations for Best Drama (won in 2006) and multiple National TV Awards.

Steven has also run the show very well for the last four years leading us in to the Anniversary special which has now given the show a new World Record for the most successful simulcast.

Both have achieved much, whether you hate one, like the other and vice versa. I wish people could bloody well move on from this comparing - it's getting old.

I feel that Steven may make the next season his last because he would then have done the same number of series as Russell. Maybe he's itching to go, we don't know. Moffat lies you know. There's only so many ideas one writer can have - that's why Russell got out as he felt he had contributed enough. With a change of head writer, the whole structure of Doctor Who can be rewritten again, which is what happened when Steven took over. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    The guy helming a still distinctly 'as-popular-as-ever' flagship show, selling to many different nations and audiences?

I think it's time to go when he feels like it.

1 ep at Easter
    12 in the Autumn
    1 at Xmas
    2-parter for Moff's exit/new series 10th anniversary, Easter 2015
    :)

...then Toby Whithouse or Howard Overman to take over for series 9 (but give Gaiman the Xmas special ;) )
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In most other jobs someone as incompetent as Moffat would have been sacked ages ago. But he is lucky as he is employed by an equally incompetent organisation.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8) Stories not focused enough
    That's another thing, episodes are too busy. There's too many elements all crammed into one. Now occasionally this can be a nice change of pace. For example, "The Wedding Of River Song" was great fun with all that stuff going on. However, when every single episode has so much stuff going on, all those characters, monsters, threats, locations, you just feel like you can't really get into any particular one. The attention and focus of the drama is stretched too thinly.

I've been watching Atlantis and that has some seriously creepy moments as well as people being stabbed to death. Doctor Who seems quite tame compared to Alantis. Atlantis does have a rather wooden actor in the lead! At least Doctor Who had a talented chap in the lead role. :)
    Forum Member
    In most other jobs someone as incompetent as Moffat would have been sacked ages ago. But he is lucky as he is employed by an equally incompetent organisation.

In what measurable way incompetent? The viewing figures have stayed comparatively the same. AI and interest ion the show is the same. The overseas sales of the show have increased.

I fail to see where you are coming from.

Unless you mean you personally don't like what he's doing. But that's no way to run a show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Personally I have loved both the RTD and SM eras of the show (Although I prefer Moffat). At the minute I'm really not comfortable with him leaving because there is no clear successor. The only recent writer that could keep the quality of the show on par would be (imo) Neil Gaiman but we already know it would be impossible due to his commitments. The only problem that I see with Moffat's writing is that he expects the audience to actually listen to the show ;). I'm perfectly happy with the direction that Moffat is taking the show in so until a successor becomes available I'm happy with him!
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I think the big problem with Moffat is he buries himself in arcs that last too long. Bad Wolf and Rose's appearances in series 4 came together for the series finale. Moffat asked so many questions that he spent most of Time of the Doctor answering them so parts of the plot couldn't breath. And I say this as someone who enjoyed Time of the Doctor.

I totally agree with this. I watched it with my sister and her family and they ranged from 'don't understand it, this is rubbish' to 'totally understand it, this isn't very good'. These are people who loved Day Of The Doctor.

I was very disappointed overall. I've been a huge fan of the show since the 70s, and a very nerdy one since the mid 80s, and I hate fan-power, wanting everything tied up and pandering to their requirements, and this episode felt just like that: ok guys, here's what the Silence are, here's what the crack is, just forget about a story. I love so many of Moff's stories but this really did sum up the worst of him for me.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think he needs to go but if he stays there are issues with the show that need addressing.

Firstly, get rid of the multi-villain episodes which have frequently dogged the Eleventh Doctor's Era. If a regular adversary comes back or an old one returns, give them the limelight to shine and be centre of attention rather than being in a story for the sake of being there like the Cybermen have too often in recent years.

Secondly, move the focus away from The Doctor and back to the stories more as before the Eleventh Doctor's time.

Thirdly, reduce the arcs to one series only and not an entire era and even then let them stay in the background until the finale like when the show first come back.

The show badly needs to go back to basics and needs and needs an overhaul. I'm hoping with a New Doctor this may happen, but remain doubtful while Moffat is in charge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In short, yes, it's time for him to go.

I'm happy that Moff has satisfied himself with tying up loose ends. But he's not entertaining a general audience. And there's a word for that....
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    I understood the episode perfectly.

Then maybe you can explain this to me:

They're supposed to be in a stalemate, the daleks won't attack because the doctor might say his real name and call the timelords, and the doctor won't call the timelords because it'd cause the daleks to attack.

So why doesn't he call the damn timelords when the daleks attack anyway?
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali069 wrote: »
    Personally I have loved both the RTD and SM eras of the show (Although I prefer Moffat). At the minute I'm really not comfortable with him leaving because there is no clear successor. The only recent writer that could keep the quality of the show on par would be (imo) Neil Gaiman but we already know it would be impossible due to his commitments. The only problem that I see with Moffat's writing is that he expects the audience to actually listen to the show ;). I'm perfectly happy with the direction that Moffat is taking the show in so until a successor becomes available I'm happy with him!

The showrunner doesn't have to be a brilliant writer. And being a brilliant writer doesn't make you a good showrunner.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffatt can stay for as long as he wants, and as long as the BBC want him.

A fantastic tenure, and a fantastic Christmas episode, full of emotion, story arc, loose ends being tied up, nods to the whole Matt Smith tenure, and a story that simply kept on giving on many levels, with just enough questions left to hang a few more stories off. And loved the way that Moffatt effortlessly brought Matt's actual wig into the episode.

Too complicated? No, not for me.

There, I've said it.
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Then maybe you can explain this to me:

They're supposed to be in a stalemate, the daleks won't attack because the doctor might say his real name and call the timelords, and the doctor won't call the timelords because it'd cause the daleks to attack.

So why doesn't he call the damn timelords when the daleks attack anyway?

Because the Time War would start again. He did my threaten that part of the stalemate himself, that was - from the Daleks' perspective - what he would do. He had no intention if calling them through to conflict. He made it clear they would come through in peace, and that would ruin it.
  • Daemon666Daemon666 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    the Xmas Show has to be one of the worst Eps I think I have seen in long time and the buck for that stops at Steven Moffatt's Door has he run out of ideas:confused:

From the outset it looked mess I know he got end canon in the matt smith era half the time I did not know what was the going on the only bit I got was the new regen Cycle and few other bits other than that I could not really understand the rest:o:(

Is time for new head writer for the show just to freshen thing up a little with new ideas some one like Mark Gatiss or people who love the show

Personally, I thought it was very selfish of Moffat to bring the new cycle of regenerations forward with a stupid double regeneration plot line that could have been made in to it's very own story arc, including someone like McGann on screen for several episodes and give him some major screen time as a real TV Doctor. It's basically done and over with in a few seconds of conversation because Moffat wanted to be the one who settled the question of what happens after 13 incarnations.

At least Russel Davies left the whole Timelords story arc for others that came after him to give them a massive arc to play with. Moffat wants to tie everything up and leave nothing for anyone who comes after him. I find that quite selfish.

Some of Moffat's stories are very good and very well written but at his worst, it is sentimental drivel and very poor storytelling.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Y'know, for the longest time I tried to avoid considering whether I approve of Moffat or not.
    It was only when I rewatched all the New-Who, back in 2012, that I had to face the fact that I really could usually spot a Moffat episode and that they were usually episodes that I disliked.

So, with that in mind, would I want to get rid of him?
    Nope.
    He is what he is but there's a lot of other writers working on DW.
    Moffat seems to be a great advocate of the show and he aspires to incredibly high (for a BBC telly show) production values so, unless he decides to fire all the other writers and write every episode himself, I'm happy for him to continue.

About the only thing that does worry me is whether he really is still championing DW or whether he's starting to see it as something good on his CV as a gateway to better things.

*EDIT*

Course, I still think RTD is superb, so what do I know?! :confused:
  • Daemon666Daemon666 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Y'know, for the longest time I tried to avoid considering whether I approve of Moffat or not.
    It was only when I rewatched all the New-Who, back in 2012, that I had to face the fact that I really could usually spot a Moffat episode and that they were usually episodes that I disliked.

So, with that in mind, would I want to get rid of him?
    Nope.
    He is what he is but there's a lot of other writers working on DW.
    Moffat seems to be a great advocate of the show and he aspires to incredibly high (for a BBC telly show) production values so, unless he decides to fire all the other writers and write every episode himself, I'm happy for him to continue.

About the only thing that does worry me is whether he really is still championing DW or whether he's starting to see it as something good on his CV as a gateway to better things.

*EDIT*

Course, I still think RTD is superb, so what do I know?! :confused:

I can see your point and I think a lot of viewers would be much happier with Moffat if he just stopped writing and concentrated on being a superb advocate of the show and a good producer. His writing really can be terrible sometimes.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    The showrunner doesn't have to be a brilliant writer. And being a brilliant writer doesn't make you a good showrunner.
    Very true.
    IMO, for what it's worth, Steven should break off now from actually writing episodes.
    He must have done pretty much all he wanted to do now in that direction.
    He could stay executive producer (I really dislike that American fan term showrunner, sorry) and de facto script editor, but turn all of the episode writing over to others, including the first and last episodes of the next series.
    :)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »

This is actually what annoys me that some people are downright adamant that Gatiss could never be a good EP - just because they don't like some of his single episodes.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    This is actually what annoys me that some people are downright adamant that Gatiss could never be a good EP - just because they don't like some of his single episodes.

I'd be more worried he might turn into some kind of huge scorpion-thing at production meetings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally haven't enjoyed much Who since the third episode of series 5 (Matt's third episode in)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dream on.

I prefer Moff to RTD but that's not the point; RTD laid the foundations, and Moff has cashed in on the house sale.

He makes millions for the BBC.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Doctor Who before, but re-watching the RTD Doctor just seems so cheesy now and not very well acted.

In my opinion since Moffatt took over I think the writing, visuals and acting have all improved. But of course I know others will feel differently.

I can understand the reasoning some people didn't like the Christmas episode and I myself think it could have been better,but I did enjoy it. It wrapped everything up, maybe a lot in 90 minutes, but Matt Leaving they probably did have to rush it to close that chapter off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I liked Doctor Who before, but re-watching the RTD Doctor just seems so cheesy now and not very well acted..

Yes.

The whole RTD crew, at heart, were soap producers (so were the forces behind Hartnell's doc, in a way).

I liked 10, and I liked the RTD eps as a whole, but some of those episodes look horribly dated just a few short years later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    No, simply because I don't think there's anyone more suited to being showrunner than Moff at this moment in time. A lot of his individual episodes are still great (although I didn't enjoy TotD on the first watch, maybe a 2nd will make it better) and he isn't afraid to do anything, which is a great trait to have in a writer.

One thing I will say is, more seasons like S5 instead of S6 & S7 (particularly the B half), Moff.
This discussion has been closed.