Scottish Independence not so unlikely

maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
Forum Member
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/referendum/article4199168.ece

To all those who say or have said 'It's not going to happen anyway', it may or may not but I wouldn't be so dismissive.

Comments

• U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just say NO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/referendum/article4199168.ece

To all those who say or have said 'It's not going to happen anyway', it may or may not but I wouldn't be so dismissive.

The NO voters need to realise that all of the YES voters will be voting

And that could end in a national tragedy.Like Fat Dee winning Celeb BB over Gary Busey.But a lot worse.:o
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mega-numpty Ed Miliband has made a 'yes' vote all the more likely with his manipulative nonsense about 'border security' and 'passport checks' between England and Scotland.

Demonstrating his usual degree of poltical savvy...
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Mega-numpty Ed Miliband has made a 'yes' vote all the more likely with his manipulative nonsense about 'border security' and 'passport checks' between England and Scotland.

Demonstrating his usual degree of poltical savvy...

Only iF Scotland adopt immigration controls that could put the UK at risk.

why did you miss that bit out?
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Only iF Scotland adopt immigration controls that could put the UK at risk.

why did you miss that bit out?
    Why did you miss the point?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    Jolly good :)

I wouldn't count my chickens though; the Yes campaign needs to stay focused and vigorous.

Come on Scotland! The definition of a sovereign country is to have its independence and the highest possible degree of self-determination.
    I know how I'd vote :)
    You're so lucky to have this opportunity.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either way, I'm scared.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    It's a shame that the Scot's hate us so much, many south of the border have Scottish Mothers/Fathers/Grandfathers Etc, we are tied by so many things that I think we should stay together, remember that the UK people are not the ones stopping Scotland from getting all they want it's the this Tory lot that are doing it, surly it would be better to give the Scot's EVERYTHING but then let's stay together, I know the UK would be all the better for it and hopefully Scotland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B.Caine wrote: »
    It's a shame that the Scot's hate us so much, many south of the border have Scottish Mothers/Fathers/Grandfathers Etc, we are tied by so many things that I think we should stay together, remember that the UK people are not the ones stopping Scotland from getting all they want it's the this Tory lot that are doing it, surly it would be better to give the Scot's EVERYTHING but then let's stay together, I know the UK would be all the better for it and hopefully Scotland.

The hatred thing is a myth.Don't believe the hype.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally i think it's going to be a "No" but what i am interested in is the percentages. I reckon it's going to be close.

What i also find fascinating is the Scots themselves are hugely split. And by that i mean the islanders on Shetland and Orkney who don't want independence but if it does happen....they want their independence from Scotland and join up with Norway! :o:o

This is going to be fun! :D:D
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    B.Caine wrote: »

I don't think it's hate on most Yes voters parts (although they would all have to speak for themselves). I think they just believe that Scotland should have control over itself as an independent country as they are a distinct enough nation to warrant that and perhaps it might benefit Scotland.

That's how I feel anyway. Perhaps others will share their own reasons.

My prediction for overall percentages is 60/40 in favour of No amongst those who vote. No idea what the turnout will be like but I'd guess higher than usual. I hope I'm wrong but it's easier to assume the least favourable outcome and adjust to a better one than it is to assume the best and adjust to a worse result!
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Personally i think it's going to be a "No" but what i am interested in is the percentages. I reckon it's going to be close.

What i also find fascinating is the Scots themselves are hugely split. And by that i mean the islanders on Shetland and Orkney who don't want independence but if it does happen....they want their independence from Scotland and join up with Norway! :o:o

It will be interesting what will happen if the margin of victory is only in the thousands, regardless of which side wins. That could be potentially more damaging for Scotland than a good solid majority deciding the outcome of the referendum
  • 001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While it is true that there are geographical political differences of opinion in Scotland , is it surely not the same for England? As far as I am aware, England is not one homogenous area where everyone is happy with the policies of the ruling Tory/Lib Dem Administration. Indeed, what I see is a strong disaffection between north and south (London in particular) and I suspect that this will become much more polarized if Scotland decides to leave the UK. But it's not like England didn't have the chance to have devolved powers. For all his faults, Blair did try and create regional assemblies but there was no appetite for them then.

I also really don't think some people on this forum 'get it' in terms of Scottish Independence. It is certainly not being portrayed here in Scotland as an 'anti English' thing. People are actually taking a pretty level headed view of what they feel is best for their future and that of their families. They look to Westminster and see more of the same coming down the track and it just doesn't appeal to them. Many here have had enough. They aspire to better and feel that the best way to secure this is for the country to take a different direction and take charge of its own destiny. For better or worse, that is their right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

If you get good odds Put on a bet for 'no'.Everybody I speak to says 'no'.But get North of Perth and it starts to become 'yes'.Lot less of them.:D
    Totally bombarded by leaflets and tv shows.But in the end all Politicians are lying scumbags.
    It's just a question of 'who do you think is telling the most lies'?.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a test. Don't believe the hype.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I could not care less anymore if Scotland went independent and by Independent I mean cutting ties completely no cherry picking bits they want to keep like Alex seems to think he will be able to do ,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    The hatred thing is a myth.Don't believe the hype.

Exactly. I'm English and have lived here for 46 years without any problems. I have many Scottish friends.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Independent Scotland just becomes another weak country with Oil.

The US will be rubbing its hands together and dusting off the HumVees
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just say NO

Already voted that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Independent Scotland just becomes another weak country with Oil.

The US will be rubbing its hands together and dusting off the HumVees

It's not Scotlands oil and never has been. But the idiot Salmond thinks it is.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm English, it's not for me to say it's not Scotlands Oil

(but it never has been really)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Already voted that.

Just came back from London this weekend.London cabbie was asking me who I thought would win.He seemed surprised when i said the 'better together' voters.
    Don't know what the English public are getting told.But I fear it isn't an honest opinion .:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just came back from London this weekend.London cabbie was asking me who I thought would win.He seemed surprised when i said the 'better together' voters.
    Don't know what the English public are getting told.But I fear it isn't an honest opinion .:(

I still think it will be no. It's only a poll of 1k plus, not the 5m who live here.

Salmond and Sturgeon are so confident now.:D
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    It's not Scotlands oil and never has been. But the idiot Salmond thinks it is.
    I think if they got independence they could well challenge it Woody;
    The Continental Shelf Act 1964 and the Continental Shelf (Jurisdiction) Order 1968 defines the UK North Sea maritime area to the north of latitude 55 degrees north as being under the jurisdiction of Scots law meaning that 90% of the UK's oil resources were under Scottish jurisdiction. In addition, section 126 of the Scotland Act 1998 defines Scottish waters as the internal waters and territorial sea of the United Kingdom as are adjacent to Scotland. This has been subsequently amended by the Scottish Adjacent Waters Boundary Order 1999 which redefined the extent of Scottish waters and Scottish fishery limits.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, I hope the 'Yes' vote succeeds and independence does happen. It will be so funny to watch them come crawling back and asking for re-unification in a decade or so.