Why do cold callers ask 'how are you today?'

2»

Comments

• Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they come to my door I usually just say I live with my parents and they're not in. A couple of weeks ago a guy came to my door and asked if it was my house and I said "no my mum's at work". He then explained he was from a wheelie bin cleaning company and I had actually been looking for one of these so I had to tell him I'd lied and that I was interested :D I was honest and just told him I thought he was selling something and we had a laugh about it.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    When they come to my door I usually just say I live with my parents and they're not in. A couple of weeks ago a guy came to my door and asked if it was my house and I said "no my mum's at work". He then explained he was from a wheelie bin cleaning company and I had actually been looking for one of these so I had to tell him I'd lied and that I was interested :D I was honest and just told him I thought he was selling something and we had a laugh about it.
    "Confessions of a Wheelie Bin Cleaner"
    Great film.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Confessions of a Wheelie Bin Cleaner"
    Great film.

I'll have to watch it then as he came and cleaned it today. Hope he doesn't have a grudge against me ;)
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    Clearly I'm not a typical member of the public, because the moment I hear the words it sets alarm bells off in my head and my only aim from that point onwards is to end the call as quickly as possible.

Me neither, you always know it's going to be one of those calls when there's a gap of a moment or two before they start talking. The one's I'm getting at the moment seem to involve who my phone provider is, so I ask them why they want to know and then the phone just goes dead.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it insincere when they don't even know us, I'd love to go into a ten minute rant about my health