Powers (Playstation Network)

zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
Forum Member
✭✭
from wikipedia "The series involves homicide detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim who investigate cases involving superheroes and supervillains, which are common in their world. They work in a special homicide division called Powers"

Just a quick mention that at the end of the ep they do one of those "coming this season on Powers" >:( which some might want to avoid so they don't get the whole season spoilt - so have that remote handy. :)

And as for the show... I'm in. :)

Comments

• SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first episode last night. I found it to be quite good and interesting. I think the main character is interesting enough to keep my interest for a while! I knew who he was straight away (the actor) as I loved District 9. :p

I think it has a very solid cast, and the story seems to be a decent one. Looking forward to more episodes!
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad this has finally got off the ground as the fallout from the original pilot didn't make it look like a safe bet.
    The LAPD Powers Division deals with superheroes (aka powers) who are involved in crimes, either as victims or perpetrators. Undermanned, underfunded and constantly under scrutiny by the media, its members, lead by Sharlto Copley as Christian Walker, an ex-power, have an uphill struggle against some terrifyingly powerful opponents. Even the super-powered crimefighters, supposedly on the same side, prove to be something of a handful.
    Based on the comic book series by Bendis and Oeming, who are also the executive producers, it retains most of the book's impact and a fair bit of the profanity and violence.
    "Heroes" it ain't.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I want to like this, really I do. But so far, the production values are not very high, and the lead is miscast. These days, if a superhero show is going to succeed it has to look real and have a fantastic script. Powers has neither, winch is a real shame. Maybe it'll pick up, but I doubt it. :(

I gather that there is to be a (George RR Martin) Wild Cards movie. So, let's hope they get that one right.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's true that looks bit less lavish than Heroes, Alphas etc. but I think it just about does justice (so far) to its source material. It's a tribute to Sharlto Copley's acting skills that he's reasonably convincing as a tough guy.
    I'd like to see what it was like with Jason Patric and Lucy Punch but their pilot is probably hidden away in the same vault as Jerry Lewis' "The Day the Clown Cried".

I'll be amazed if "Wild Cards" ever happens. To be anything like the books it would cost a fortune, as would Top 10 and Astro City.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I binge-watched this over the last couple of days.

Shaky start, but it definitely improved as it went along.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    I'll be amazed if "Wild Cards" ever happens.

Isn't that already in pre-production? Seeing as Wild Cards originated with George RR Martin, and he is 'golden' thanks to the success of Game of Thrones on TV, I;d say there's a very good chance of Wild Cards appearing. I just hope they do it right, with the same ind of production values as GoT.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well I managed to finished Powers and I did enjoy it despite the obvious low budget.Im glad to see it get a second season as well and will be interesting to see how it develops!

Unfortunately though whilst watching the first season I did search for the graphic novel of Powers which did spoil it slightly!
  • 4chords4chords Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Did this show ever get shown in the UK?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4chords wrote: »
    Did this show ever get shown in the UK?

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps4/entertainment/powers/

"Coming soon to the PAL region".

Making a TV series - especially a comic-book or other "genre" TV series - exclusive to a console platform, *and* then locking it behind a paywall, *and* then sticking to Ye Olde staggered regional release method is a sure-fire way of ensuring that said TV series just gets pirated and ends up being legitimately seen by as few people as possible...
  • HeWhoIsHereHeWhoIsHere Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen it, but odd that everyone is saying it is low budget. Last I heard it was suppose to have a budget of between $US3-4m per episode. Which is considered to be quite healthy.
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge Powers comic-book fan... and Bendis & Oeming... but this show was terrible... as in set wise, extras, lighting, camera work etc. Where was the money spent. A few of the actors played solid roles.. but it all looked and felt like it produced 20+ years ago...

As well as being stuck behind a Sony paywall, and not being picked by a Terrestrial channel(?)... the biggest error, was to not to make a mystery of Walker's past like in the comic book... and don't get me started on the casting of Deena!

Fingers crossed for season two.
  • ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this free for ps plus subscribers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this free for ps plus subscribers?

Yes.

Although it's still only available in a limited number of countries, which the UK is not one of.