Condensation dripping from oven

_ben_ben Posts: 5,758
Forum Member
We've just bought a new cooker and water drips out of the oven onto the kitchen floor. I've never come across this before, is it normal or is it a fault?

Comments

• derbyshire duckderbyshire duck Posts: 14,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cooker does this,have never had a cooker do it before,we have pulled it out and looked at the back to see if anything was blocked,and there was nothing,its a zanuaai and would never buy one again,I put kitchen towel on the floor to soak up water.
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough, my new zanussi is doing this too.I also have to put towel down or else I end up with a puddle.

:confused:
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could it be that you bough a fridge by mistake? :eek:
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some condensation with a gas oven is natural, but I would be worried that there is so much it drips onto the floor. Especially if this is happening when the door is closed!

It will likely clear with use - the vent may be dusty from sitting in a factory - but give it a good clean to get rid of manufactering oils etc. Preheat the oven with the door slightly open and likewise leave the door open once the oven is off and cooling.
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some condensation with a gas oven is natural, but I would be worried that there is so much it drips onto the floor. Especially if this is happening when the door is closed!

It will likely clear with use - the vent may be dusty from sitting in a factory - but give it a good clean to get rid of manufactering oils etc. Preheat the oven with the door slightly open and likewise leave the door open once the oven is off and cooling.

I don't know about the OP, but my cooker is electric, we've checked all the vents and stuff, but everything seems ok, we've had it about 6 months now, so I would have thought any teething problems would be sorted

I have to say, it does cook really well though, or I would have taken it back
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosemary wrote: »
    I don't know about the OP, but my cooker is electric, we've checked all the vents and stuff, but everything seems ok, we've had it about 6 months now, so I would have thought any teething problems would be sorted

I have to say, it does cook really well though, or I would have taken it back

Yeh I must admit rosemary, I have only had an electric oven once - in a flat I was in for a short while nearly 25 years ago. It's too long ago to actually remember, but obviously condensation is natural whatever the fuel.

If the water is dripping when the door is shut though, this would mean the door isnt shutting properly/enough and that would be reason enough for me to have the engineers out to correct the fault.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago many ovens did this it's to do with moisture in the food you cook and moisture in the air. If I remember correctly it isn't a fault and making sure the kitchen is well ventilated can make a big difference.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have expected the dripping water to do with condensation, even if its not venting properly it still needs a cold surface to condense against. I am wondering if you have a double glass door that it is condensing between the two layers of glass on the door ?