Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 37)

Comments

• Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    As for the Welbeck debate, I've said it before and I'll say it again, yes he's a striker, yes he's not scoring lots of goals, but his contribution to the team is substancial when he plays. I agree he could do with more goals, but that will come. I am not being sentimental due to him being home grown far from it. However, I do feel the over the top criticism of him at times is due to him being home grown.

He's obviously doing something right for not only is Fergie playing him, but he's being picked for England.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Is it a great achievement to play for England? The striker flavour of the season always seems to pick up caps whoever they are. Welbeck has great work ethic, but his first touch sometimes deserts him, and we all know about his finishing. Some shots/on target/goals stats would be interesting.

Also, I would part exchange Nani for Bale, but not Rooney.
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    I think it should read "Rooney & Nani to Spurs for Bale and some cash anyone?"

Let's screw Levy for a change

The thing is, he doesn't always win. Remember when we signed Carrick and everyone said that he had screwed us. I think we beat him that time.

And on Welbeck, the problem isn't that he is home-grown, it is that he has 2 goals in 32 games. His finishing has been terrible and half the time when he gets into the box he falls over. I will say one thing for him, Madrid seemed to be terrified of him.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    As for the Welbeck debate, I've said it before and I'll say it again, yes he's a striker, yes he's not scoring lots of goals, but his contribution to the team is substancial when he plays. I agree he could do with more goals, but that will come. I am not being sentimental due to him being home grown far from it. However, I do feel the over the top criticism of him at times is due to him being home grown.

He's obviously doing something right for not only is Fergie playing him, but he's being picked for England.

Reminds me of comments I've read in match threads, when he's fallen over in the box or missed an open goal or something and you'd see people saying 'Give him and England shirt"
    lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rio not in any trouble for his sarcastic clapping in front of the ref on Tuesday.

I remember at the time thinking, judging by the demeanour of the ref and the look on his face as he stood there and took it, he's had it done to him before - probably more than once.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    The 2011/2012 review DVD I ordered came today. I'm having a quick look at it for a few minutes just to have a quick idea of what it's like (the 8-2 is on as I write) and it looks from the bit I've seen as if it's been done just like all the others apart from the 10/11 one.

Which makes you weep and wonder for the millionth time why they chose to completely ruin the one season review everyone would want to cherish. It was the record breaking season. And yet most people can't bear to watch what they came out with, it's so appallingly bad!
    They should be forced to re-do in the usual way, it so it's watchable!

Are you some kind of masochist? :eek:

They can stick last season into room 101 for all I care.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member

Not from me Tribec, my thoughts on Welbeck stem from seeing him fall over his feet too often right under my nose when we are in good attacking positions.
    I don't care what his background provenance is.

I really fear losing Hernandez and Welbeck never making it past 5 goals a season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you some kind of masochist? :eek:

They can stick last season into room 101 for all I care.

I'm sick of this bloody attitude from people who only respond to what I say about this soddin DVD to have a go at me for buying it! I've got ALL the season review DVD's from the past 10 years (apart from 10/11) - including those we didn't win the title. Doesn't mean to say I watch them all through.

And no, I'm not a masochist. I'll watch the first part of the season and leave it at that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick of this bloody attitude from people who only respond to what I say about this soddin DVD to have a go at me for buying it! I've got ALL the season review DVD's from the past 10 years (apart from 10/11) - including those we didn't win the title. Doesn't mean to say I watch them all through.

And no, I'm not a masochist. I'll watch the first part of the season and leave it at that.

Steady on now.

Just remind me not to come round for tea when you're watching the 11/12 season.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Off topic, but I hope Tottenham do well tonight, and eventually progress. Should they lose, under any circumstances, there wouldn't be a single thread, or indeed bad word or gloating against them on here, aside from Arsenal, and possibly Chelsea fans. Still, I'll be supporting them over Inter Milan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Off topic, but I hope Tottenham do well tonight, and eventually progress. Should they lose, under any circumstances, there wouldn't be a single thread, or indeed bad word or gloating against them on here, aside from Arsenal, and possibly Chelsea fans. Still, I'll be supporting them over Inter Milan.

I'm hoping they do well at the weekend.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It does seem that no matter how hard I try to convince you that Welbeck is worth his spot you won't believe me. Yet, I point out issues with Ashley Young, and yet he get's defended. (I know someone else suggested we get rid earlier).

I can't see any of our strike force leaving this summer, they have all played a part this season and can do so next year. I will hold my tongue on something though till the end of May.

With regards the 2011/12 season, I've expunged it from my memory, no trophies were awarded to any teams and history will show only a series of friendlies. Though I have to say the 8-2 game was fun to watch.
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    It does seem that no matter how hard I try to convince you that Welbeck is worth his spot you won't believe me. Yet, I point out issues with Ashley Young, and yet he get's defended. (I know someone else suggested we get rid earlier).

I can't see any of our strike force leaving this summer, they have all played a part this season and can do so next year. I will hold my tongue on something though till the end of May.

With regards the 2011/12 season, I've expunged it from my memory, no trophies were awarded to any teams and history will show only a series of friendlies. Though I have to say the 8-2 game was fun to watch.

That is because Young has had more than two good crosses this year ;)

I'm still bitter about missing the 8-2 Arsenal match, I was at the Belgian GP. Great race, but still...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zieler wrote: »
    That is because Young has had more than two good crosses this year ;)

I'm still bitter about missing the 8-2 Arsenal match, I was at the Belgian GP. Great race, but still...

That's only because he crosses himself when coming on as a sub. He's not crossed a decent ball into the box all season. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been a tough couple of days, hope the players are getting in the right mentality for the Chelsea game. It's not for a few days yet, but I hope revenge or retaliation doesn't factor in. Chelsea might not be world beaters at the moment, but Benitez can still be a clever manager when he wants to be. We need to be clear headed, and astute in team selection. No doubt Chelsea would love to end our run.

Has anyone worked out the earliest we can win the premier league? I highly doubt there will be any major hiccups now we are out of Europe.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

their fans dont talk about wanting "small unimportant clubs" to become insolvent though do they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    their fans dont talk about wanting "small unimportant clubs" to become insolvent though do they?

I wouldn't know. That particular post was posted when I was particularly annoyed about how the match was going, and some of the petty gloating I was reading, on reflection my reaction was over the top. I do find it strange why fans of non premier league clubs would have such a hatred of Manchester United in particular though.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't know. That particular post was posted when I was particularly annoyed about how that match was going, and some of the petty gloating I was reading, on reflection my reaction was over the top. I do find it strange why fans of non premier league clubs would have such a hatred of Manchester United in particular though.

i assumed so and as a passionate footy fan myself i can understand it.
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it does not matter what arguments you try to make regarding welbeck, he is a striker, his job is to score goals, running alot and working hard will never compensate for an inability to put the ball in the net. he has 1 league goal this season, 1, his finishing has been shocking this season, he couldn't score in a brothel, your support of welbeck reminds me of what people used to say about heskey, ''sure he doesn't score, sure his touch is bad, but he's such a team player, brings the best out of rooney etc.'' Our only two goals against madrid were from a corner and an own goal, our attack failed against madrid, sticking rooney on the wing for the first leg and then leaving him out for the second leg in favour of welbeck was crazy...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ooh! Rooney's made the BBC 6 o'clock news!

Fergie's tactical change has a lot to answer for! lol

Reporter said he 'spoke to a source close to Ferguson earlier' 'who suggested the manager was now ready to consider selling Rooney in the summer'. Why? Cos 'he has 'concerns over his fitness'

And secondly, "Rooney has only 2 years left of his quarter of a million pounds a week contract, and the club might decide it's better to cash in now than lose out in the future"

No player is bigger than the club "How ironic that two and a half years ago Rooney voiced concerned that United were no longer big enough for him. It may well be that in a few months we discover that Rooney is not big enough for Manchester United. It feels like the beginning of the end"

They y'go, straight from the reporters mouth!

The fact the person he spoke to came out with the Sun obsession that Rooney gets paid £250,000 a week (unless he reads the Sun and decided it for himself) rather makes the rest of what he said not worth the hot air it took to come out with it!

He did start his report saying it'll be interesting to see what Fergie says at his press conference tomorrow, and that's the only absolute definite truth in what he said!
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh! Rooney's made the BBC 6 o'clock news!

Fergie's tactical change has a lot to answer for! lol

Reporter said he 'spoke to a source close to Ferguson earlier' 'who suggested the manager was now ready to consider selling Rooney in the summer'. Why? Cos 'he has 'concerns over his fitness'

And secondly, "Rooney has only 2 years left of his quarter of a million pounds a week contract, and the club might decide it's better to cash in now than lose out in the future"

No player is bigger than the club "How ironic that two and a half years ago Rooney voiced concerned that United were no longer big enough for him. It may well be that in a few months we discover that Rooney is not big enough for Manchester United. It feels like the beginning of the end"

They y'go, straight from the reporters mouth!

The fact the person he spoke to came out with the Sun obsession that Rooney gets paid £250,000 a week (unless he reads the Sun and decided it for himself) rather makes the rest of what he said not worth the hot air it took to come out with it!

He did start his report saying it'll be interesting to see what Fergie says at his press conference tomorrow, and that's the only absolute definite truth in what he said!

although the media hyperbole is ridiculous, rooney leaving is a real possibility, he is entering the final 2 years of his contract, either he signs a new one in the summer or gets sold. we don't necessarily even have to sign a striker if he goes, kagawa was promised a central role when we signed him, he is a good finisher, he'll slot in behind rvp if rooney goes in my opinion. if we can use the money on bale and also get a centre mid i'll be quite happy with that............
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just knew when I saw the starting line up and Rooney wasnt in the team, that the media would go crazy as all the back pages and tv reports have shown today.

I dont really know what is going to happen, but for the media Rooney not playing is gold for them
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Rooney wont be going any were. Just media storys because tactically we didnt need him until late on. If anyones leaving its chico :(

I'll cry rivers of tears if that happens. :(:cry:
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just knew when I saw the starting line up and Rooney wasnt in the team, that the media would go crazy as all the back pages and tv reports have shown today.

I dont really know what is going to happen, but for the media Rooney not playing is gold for them

I said before the match that Sir Fergie would have had a plan for that match, and the fact that he did was no surpise, I thought that the Norwich match was a sort of throw-away match, in so much as whatever someone did (Kagawa's hat-trick for example), it wouldn't have affected his team for the Resl match.
    As a match of that magnitude takes time to prepare for, and is not something that you do "on the fly", it takes hours on the training ground to get the sort of organisation that we saw upuntil the red card incident.

All this Rooney lark, I would say, is just that lark, becauae the press were caught out, they have to get their revenge somehow, and what better way, than by saying that we want to sell Rooney.
    And some of the guff being thrown about, PSG for example would not sign Rooney as there is a new 75% tax rate in France, so to pay Rooney say similar to Ibra, well tjat would certainly blow whatever budget (however big), there would be.

We certainly wouldn't sell to either City or Chelsea, so why anyone claiming to have any shread of commensense would even mention them in regards to him, I just don't know, it is lazy in the extreame.

So, even if we were considering selling Rooney, then there would have to be some different club that would need to be mentioned, but that would require some actual journalism work on their behalf, so I guess that can be ruled out then!
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,538
    Forum Member
    Chelsea really look abysmal. Anything but a win (NO REPLAYS) against them this weekend is unacceptable.

Fox Soccer is carrying the game here and are UNLEASHING the talent ... they tabbed Ian Wright as a co-commentator. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.