Richie Benaud Dies Aged 84

2»

Comments

• allafixallafix Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was very sad news to find this morning. I'm normally fairly unaffected by this kind of thing, but Richie's death really upset me. He knew how to engage with viewers and listeners and seemed to be talking to you personally. So it's like losing someone you know well.

He could always find the right phrase for any occasion and his dry wit was unmatched. There haven't been many sports commentators with his class and I can't think of any active at the moment who are even close.

He will be very sadly missed.
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One from the great era of commentators, he was such an iconic commentator you almost overlook the fact he was a superb cricketer as well.

As others have said from the school of if it wasn't worth saying he didn't say it, sadly something most commentators these days could take heed of!

Was very fitting his final series commentating in England was the greatest series of all time the 2005 Ashes. Which is where I remember this fine bit of 'less is more' commentating from arguably the greatest test ever :)

https://youtu.be/W0_7hlakHt4?t=515

RIP Richie.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easily my favourite ever sports commentator. He showed that its the quality of words you use not the quantity that matters.

THE best commentator of any sport imo. And as you say, one of his maxims, quality not quantity, and only talk if your words add something to the broadcast, is the complete antithesis to most modern commentators, which is more like 'it doesn't matter what mindless drivel you spout as long as you say something'.
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Really sad to hear about the passing of Richie Benaud. A true gent and outstanding commentator.

Personally there are only two cricketing commentator's I would call legends, Richie being one and the other was Brian 'Johnners' Johnston. R.I.P