Election 83 - BBC Parliament

1235»

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing I notice is the lack of 'soundbites' endlessly repeated. You look at political programmes from this era, and they are trying to explain and debate, not just trying to shoehorn in the latest buzzphrase, such as 'people who work hard and want to geddon' or 'taxcuts for millionaires'.

I get the feeling that as soon as an MP has uttered their party's phrase in an interview, they relax and feel their job is done. :rolleyes:

Could anyone here actually recall a well known "soundbite" uttered by Michael Foot? I'm struggling with one.

IDS has now created a new one for himself in my opinion in the last few days, "I would if I had to", in response to living on £53 a week. Okay IDS, then hand over your car keys right now for a start, because you aren't going to be driving anywhere first and foremost. "On your bike" as Tebbit said, oh the wonderful irony of him holding Tebbits old seat.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Davis should have become the Tory leader after Michael Howard quit. Davis was far better qualified than Cameron. He had a decent background outside politics. However, Davis made an ordinary speech to the Tory conference, but it was nowhere near as bad as the mainstream media made it out to be. The likes of Tom Bradby at ITV News made Davis sound terrible, because he and his allies favour Cameron, who was essentially another Blair.

The Miliband family are a right bunch of weirdos. Their father, Ralph Miliband, was a Marxist academic who wanted to destroy British society. Whereas normal parents teach their children nursery rhymes and simple prayers, Ralph Miliband taught his children to quote Marx. I'm not saying all children follow their parents politically, but I've never heard either brother condemn their father. Indeed, David Miliband has just resigned from Sunderland over the Di Canio appointment, but he has no qualms in supporting his father, who was also an extremist.

As for Nigel Farage, he is a superb public speaker, but that's where his talents begin and end. He can't be trusted with women, he can't be trusted with money, and he can't be trusted to develop a strategy to lead a party.