Alexandra Burke Announces Royal Albert Hall Residency / Will Tribute Diana Ross

Comments

• gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Royal Albert hall concerts have now been cancelled due to overwhelming demand for tickets, and will be re-arranged for later in the year at some larger venues.

well i am sorry, but that is just bad form. the whole point of these shows seemed to be a pr exercise and re-arranging the shows is just another pr disaster. what about the people that bought the tickets in good faith, hoping to see her perform in such an intimate venue? many of these people possibly bought the tickets for that reason and have probably made travelling plans by now.

apparently, she has a show in the us soon after these dates were due to take place, but that is no excuse. she is supposed to be a professional artist and she should honour her prior commitments. like i say, these shows seemed a good pr move by her team, after disastrous sales and after her pulling out of shows like brighton pride along with the jls tour last year. so i am surprised by this latest development to say the very least.
  • ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    wow i am a hardcore fan and i'm so annoyed, i booked transport and hotel... non-refundable.

it's not on, whoever made the decision needs firing.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All those that brought tickets will be able to attend the re scheduled concerts. I would imagine that one will be in the main Albert hall arean anyway.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All those that brought tickets will be able to attend the re scheduled concerts. I would imagine that one will be in the main Albert hall arean anyway.

I agree. She must have had a very good reason to postpone this tour so suddenly, as they could have rescheduled ages ago if "overwhelming demand" was the only reason. Something big must have come up for her team to take this decision.

It's hardly a PR disaster though, that's just an over exaggeration. Artist cancel tour dates and postpone them all the time. It's disappointing but I'm sure she has good reason.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    The Royal Albert hall concerts have now been cancelled due to overwhelming demand for tickets, and will be re-arranged for later in the year at some larger venues.

Why don't they just use the main hall for one big performance? I'm a bit confused. It doesn't make sense. Just add more Elgar Room dates...
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoed wrote: »
    wow i am a hardcore fan and i'm so annoyed, i booked transport and hotel... non-refundable.

this is exactly the scenario i was imagining and i do feel disappointed for you. some of her hardcore fans weren't even attending the shows and it easy for people to go on the defensive when they haven't suffered the consequences like you have. i would assume her team are to blame for this move and its a shame for the people that have lost out financially.

i really felt these shows were good pr move initially, posting positive comments in this thread, but its hardly a pr exercise well executed to say the very least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    Why don't they just use the main hall for one big performance? I'm a bit confused. It doesn't make sense. Just add more Elgar Room dates...

They can't do that I guess...she has other commitments straight after the original dates, I think it would be too much for her to fit the tour around that, and she can't add more dates before June, as it would run into this month and I doubt she has prepared for that...

Honestly I wasn't expecting the tickets to sell out so quickly, lots of fans including you and myself didn't get the chance to go because of the rate they sold, so in the long run, more people will get to see the shows. I do feel for those that had already booked, but there isn't much she can do. There will have to be a refund option/reschedule program for those who already hold tickets, but she can't be expected to cover everything. I hope she explains this decision more though, as it seems rather sudden.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I agree. She must have had a very good reason to postpone this tour so suddenly, as they could have rescheduled ages ago if "overwhelming demand" was the only reason. Something big must have come up for her team to take this decision.

It's hardly a PR disaster though, that's just an over exaggeration. Artist cancel tour dates and postpone them all the time. It's disappointing but I'm sure she has good reason.

It was hardly a "tour" just 6 night is the same place.

Artists usually only cancel for illness or some major problem -- occasionly for lack of ticket sales but that wasnt the case here.

What you are basicaly saying is she has simply had a better offer so cancelled these dates late in the day and cost a lot fans money. It really appears to be as unprofessional as it gets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »

Artists usually only cancel for illness or some major problem -- occasionly for lack of ticket sales but that wasnt the case here.

What you are basicaly saying is she has simply had a better offer so cancelled these dates late in the day and cost a lot fans money. It really appears to be as unprofessional as it gets.

She has postponed them not cancelled them. Refunds will have to be offered or she could have legal issues, any other costs unfortunately are out of her control, but I don't think fans will lose any money spent on tickets.

She has not spoken fully on her reasoning for doing this, it is disappointing, but if more fans will get the opportunity to see the tour, then I can't really see a negative in that. There is always going to be disappointment when something is postponed.
    Forum Member

It's unprofessional, but it depends what she's doing instead. If it helps her career in the long run then it may be worth it. It's not like she's not doing them at all, then I'd full agree. Still annoyed though. She hasn't done this before (bar Brighton-which was just weird, and the explanation made no sense either) with a mini tour series, so it's rather bizarre. I think it has something to do with her US concert a day after the last scheduled date. Although her team should've thought forward.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    It's unprofessional, but it depends what she's doing instead. If it helps her career in the long run then it may be worth it. It's not like she's not doing them at all, then I'd full agree. Still annoyed though. She hasn't done this before (bar Brighton-which was just weird, and the explanation made no sense either) with a mini tour series, so it's rather bizarre. I think it has something to do with her US concert a day after the last scheduled date. Although her team should've thought forward.

True artists regard cancelling a gig as a complete no no

Gaga performed in pain for a month before giving in and having surgery --- Beyonce recently cancelled a gig due to illness and felt it needed a hand written appology to her fans.

If AB feels stiffing her fans to further her career is worthwhile then it realy is a poor thing to do
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really dont know why people are making such a fuss. She wants everyone to have chance to go to the concerts. What is wrong with that. She is doing the right thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really dont know why people are making such a fuss. She wants everyone to have chance to go to the concerts. What is wrong with that. She is doing the right thing.

I agree, I feel sorry for those that have lost money, but Alexandra has not had a live concert for 2 years. The number of tickets were not enough for all the people that wanted to go and see her live, at least this way, more people will get to see her. The people that already have tickets will most likely be able to refund them if they don't want to go any more.

However, I'm not buying "overwhelming demand" as the only reason she has decided to postpone the dates.
    Forum Member
    True artists regard cancelling a gig as a complete no no

Gaga performed in pain for a month before giving in and having surgery --- Beyonce recently cancelled a gig due to illness and felt it needed a hand written appology to her fans.

If AB feels stiffing her fans to further her career is worthwhile then it realy is a poor thing to do

But they don't have a clash and those things were in mid tour, not before it began. You have to be forced, and she better have a good reason. I don't think she wants to do it, why would she book a gig to cancel it? Makes no sense. She's launching in the US this summer, and whilst it's important to perform here, the gig she has is pretty much the biggest thing she's had in her whole career in terms of who she's sharing the stage with. It would be huge for her in the urban scene.
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am all for extending the show, but a lot of people have booked travel & accommodation. Apart from illness which can't be helped, at such a late stage it must be something which is so beneficial to Alex career, therefore she had no option. I really hope this is the case. Alex has such a soulful voice so I really hope it is something stateside that the opportunity cannot be missed.
    Forum Member
    soulmusic wrote: »
    I am all for extending the show, but a lot of people have booked travel & accommodation. Apart from illness which can't be helped, at such a late stage it must be something which is so beneficial to Alex career, therefore she had no option. I really hope this is the case. Alex has such a soulful voice so I really hope it is something stateside that the opportunity cannot be missed.

It sure as hell better be.
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoed wrote: »

That sucks :(
    I'm glad I didn't book anything. I might just get some tickets for the new show though...
  • Rob200696Rob200696 Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's off to America any hardcore Alex fan must know that this is what we have all been waiting for so I'm happy she has postponed them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why she can't complete her present gigs at the Elgar Room, then go to US, then do a UK tour later in the year at larger venues. I'm not a fan, but I'd be furious if I was and had booked travel and accommodation (which lets face it can be very expensive) only to be told the gig was "postponed" with no reasonable excuse given.
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    MJS wrote: »
    I don't understand why she can't complete her present gigs at the Elgar Room, then go to US, then do a UK tour later in the year at larger venues. I'm not a fan, but I'd be furious if I was and had booked travel and accommodation (which lets face it can be very expensive) only to be told the gig was "postponed" with no reasonable excuse given.

I agree with you. If it was sold out, cancelling because you're too popular as it's being reported seems very unprofessional and inconsiderate to those who hold tickets. If you underestimate demand you just lay on additional gigs......at least that's what I've seen commonly happen for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont talk such rubbish. Its only fair to give people the chance to be able to see the gigs. The mistake that was made was scheduling the concerts in such a small venue in the first place.
    Forum Member

Because she's no longer in the country ;) and won't be till September. They shouldn't have had them in such small venues. She's doing something but isn't saying what, which makes sense, she's had awful luck with jinxing things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what she was doing originally, but it looks like she must have had an offer she can't refuse as the gigs will now be later in the year. She's flying out to the US today for an extended stay, so maybe she'll make things clearer soon.