Options

Limited Connectivity in Windows Vista

Comments

• Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/guides/network/ethernetvista.html#ethernet

follow that guide, but where it refers to local area connection you click on your wireless network.

just check and report back. i would say that if this is an issue it's usually because the computer has been set up to work on a different wifi network, work, uni, whatever.

..sorry to be a complete pain but I have actually already set the laptop to 'Obtain IP & DNS address Automatically' but without any success - it still fails to connect properly.

Also - the laptop is brand new. Only took it out the box this week so obviously it hasn't had any previous connections
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    If it's any help, i found any updated driver for my Wireless USB adapter actually gave it limited connectivity and that its original driver is therefore the best to use.

Drivers can be buggy. Why not just stick with the original release if it works okay?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    ok - saw this thread was quite long, so i assumed all the basics had been covered.

do you know if your router has MAC address filtering switched on??? a setting that only allows devices on a list to connect??? what router is it??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok - saw this thread was quite long, so i assumed all the basics had been covered.

do you know if your router has MAC address filtering switched on??? a setting that only allows devices on a list to connect??? what router is it??

....no - it doesn't have any filtering on it at all. My desktop pc, iPhone and games console connect to it via wi-fi, with no problems at all (obviously not all at the same time!!!)

Its a Belkin Cable Wireless Router (like this one:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1920169877.1224153425@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladefhdgjdedcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=886496&category_oid=
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say deans6571, if I was you I would have thrown it out of the window by now, I thought I had patience but you need a medal at the moment :) (Sorry that was of no help to u at all)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ....no - it doesn't have any filtering on it at all. My desktop pc, iPhone and games console connect to it via wi-fi, with no problems at all (obviously not all at the same time!!!)

Its a Belkin Cable Wireless Router (like this one:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1920169877.1224153425@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladefhdgjdedcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=886496&category_oid=

you should be able to connect all those things at the same time BTW.

the fact that all those things can connect doesn't preclude the possibility of there being filtering ofcourse, they could just be on the allowed list. but you're saying with those things you just ran them out of the box???

is your computer being assigned an IP??

start - type cmd in that search/run box

type ipconfig

when you log into the router config and look at the network what does the router say is connected and what does it report about the computer???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you should be able to connect all those things at the same time BTW.

the fact that all those things can connect doesn't preclude the possibility of there being filtering ofcourse, they could just be on the allowed list. but you're saying with those things you just ran them out of the box???

is your computer being assigned an IP??

start - type cmd in that search/run box

type ipconfig

when you log into the router config and look at the network what does the router say is connected and what does it report about the computer???

I didn't manually add the above items to the list. I connected them all up without making ANY changes to the router whatsoever.

As for the CMD instruction - I am not actually with my laptop at the moment so cannot try this till I get home tonight.

You sound like you know your stuff flagpole!1 - No chance I can text you later when I'm sat with my laptop...????!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tuppy26 wrote: »
    I have to say deans6571, if I was you I would have thrown it out of the window by now, I thought I had patience but you need a medal at the moment :) (Sorry that was of no help to u at all)

...I generally do not have loads of patience but I'm one of those people that when something doesn't work and you know that it should - I aint happy til i get the dam thing going.....!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i'll probably be here later apart from when i go out for dinner early his evening. i check the boards from my phone so texting is not necessary.

i have a theory that the router is not assigning an IP, but i can't think why. i'll have a look through the instructions.

it's not that i particularly know my stuff - i've just been on these boards for a while and i've seen a lot of issues and everyone who lives in the midlands seems to call me when they have a problem.

though all this IT stuff at the moment seems a lot less important than the World Of Goo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i'll probably be here later apart from when i go out for dinner early his evening. i check the boards from my phone so texting is not necessary.

i have a theory that the router is not assigning an IP, but i can't think why. i'll have a look through the instructions.

..ok - I'll try out your ipconfig tonight at around 8:30 - 9pm and I'll come back here and post the results.

Can I call you as well then.....?!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, I thought I was talking to the first poster when I made that post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the first poster has tried WEP? Unless their desktop also connects through WPA?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may be worth changing the channel that the router and wireless devices are using.

Chances are they're all using 11 (the default). Try changing it to something else and see if it makes a difference.

There's no logical reason why it should, but logic and networks, somewhat ironically, sometimes don't go together! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    a theory i have is that his router can (only) lease 100 IPs by DHCP though the range is adjustable downwards and by default it's set to always use the same IP for the same MAC and the lease time is set to infinite....

do you think the DHCP lease table could be full???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...ok - I've been scouring the web regarding the issue I'm having, and it seems that many people have tried the instructions below which seems to solve the problem.

What do you guys think..?

1. Click StartStart button, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

User Account Control permission If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
    In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.
    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    4. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then press ENTER.
    5. Right-click DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    7. Close Registry Editor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmn, I would look into what flagpole says before trying anything with the registry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    could be:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

read the microsoft article rather than crazy registry guides.

i've been suggesting all day that the router is not able to assign an IP via DHCP, that's why i had you check earlier.

do the IPconfig thing a suggested see if you have an IP.

if you don't look at the router DHCP lease table it's one of the first options. check that's not full.

if not then could well be the registry thing.

there are two solutions to that. one to do the reg fix, but this will permanently change the way your router connects to any wifi.

the other way is to assign the IP yourself.

Still playing world of Goo. i'm suck on the volcanic percolator day spa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ..I really appreciate everyones input here today:)

I will try this tonight and report back here with my findings. Hopefully - I'll come back smiling.....!;)
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...I appreciate everyones help here but I know for a fact that it is not my encryption key that is the problem..!!

Like someone has said already - if I'd typed it in wrongly, it would come up with a message to say 'Incorrect Key' or something like that.

I'm with RobAnt on this one. In my experience this kind of problem is usually caused by someone using the wrong key. Don't assume that you'll always get the 'Incorrect Key' error, as sometimes it will appear to have accepted the wrong key, but won't go any further. It'll only take a minute to confirm the correct key by logging into the router from your desktop and checking the setting

If the key is correct, you can temporarily try switching off the security and then connecting the laptop again. Another thing you can try - go into the advanced wireless settings and delete your wireless network and then try reconnecting to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i think it's a DHCP problem. I've thought that from the beginning.

i have some sympathy with deans here. if i had wifi problems (and i do) and people kept telling me it was the key i'd get quite angry. I fully accept that the wrong key can give some strange errors. it's just that if the guy says he knows his own key then my instinct is to believe him.

mind you i am going mad from the world of goo. I'm no longer stuck on the volcanic percolator day spa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it's a DHCP problem. I've thought that from the beginning.

i have some sympathy with deans here. if i had wifi problems (and i do) and people kept telling me it was the key i'd get quite angry. I fully accept that the wrong key can give some strange errors. it's just that if the guy says he knows his own key then my instinct is to believe him.

mind you i am going mad from the world of goo. I'm no longer stuck on the volcanic percolator day spa.

*Bonks Flaggy on Head, him and his World of bloody Goo* :D
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member

One of the most time consuming aspects of fixing computers these days is dealing with users and their passwords. You'd be amazed how many times people either have no idea what their password is or will tell you that they absolutely, 100% certain, no-doubt-about-it, know what it is. And then it turns out they're wrong. Usually because of a lower/upper case issue or they forgot they added a number at the end. When you sometimes have to deal with this several times a day, you quickly learn to confirm for yourself what the password actually is.

In the context of this post, the OP could still be here next week trying to get it working and then realise he had the wrong key after all. Or he could take 1 minute to log into the router to confirm it. Always eliminate the simple and obvious first. Besides, he's going to have to log into the router at some point to check the wireless and network settings, so he may as well get it done before moving onto the more technical stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    One of the most time consuming aspects of fixing computers these days is dealing with users and their passwords. You'd be amazed how many times people either have no idea what their password is or will tell you that they absolutely, 100% certain, no-doubt-about-it, know what it is. And then it turns out they're wrong. Usually because of a lower/upper case issue or they forgot they added a number at the end. When you sometimes have to deal with this several times a day, you quickly learn to confirm for yourself what the password actually is.

In the context of this post, the OP could still be here next week trying to get it working and then realise he had the wrong key after all. Or he could take 1 minute to log into the router to confirm it. Always eliminate the simple and obvious first. Besides, he's going to have to log into the router at some point to check the wireless and network settings, so he may as well get it done before moving onto the more technical stuff.

ah i know max but imagine how p1ssed you'd be if you had a wifi problem and i told you it was key related. they told him that for the whole of the first page.

I was 3000 th or there abouts in the world in terms of my tower of goo before i went and making really good progress, bbut now i can't do any more till the morning.

you may not hear from me tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »

:eek::eek: will people STOP going on about the incorrect key..!!!!!

THE KEY I AM USING IS CORRECT..!!!!! ITS THE SAME KEY THAT MY IPHONE USES - ITS THE SAME KEY THAT MY XBOX 360 USES - ITS THE SAME KEY MY DESKTOP PC USES..!!!

THE KEY IS CORRECT....JEESHH....!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...flagpole - I'm gonna try your ipconfig in just 1 minute....