Options

Mountain Gorilla

tedmaul09tedmaul09 Posts: 561
Forum Member
✭✭
This is what the BBC does well ... Stunning.

Comments

• Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always amazes me how these animals can trust humans the way they do when so many try to kill them and drive them out of their homes :(

A really good programme, can't wait for next week.:)
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great show. BBC's Natural History shows are worth the license fee alone :) I can't get enough of Attenborough on Eden channel 532 as well at the moment :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Great program and looked fantastic in HD. Thought Patrick Stewart was good as well. Looking forward to next weeks.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    jpmfan wrote: »
    Great program and looked fantastic in HD. Thought Patrick Stewart was good as well. Looking forward to next weeks.

According to Virgin's EPG, next week's programme is on BBC2 at 8pm but not on the HD channel until 10pm :mad:
  • Options
    kinetic747kinetic747 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Virgin's EPG, next week's programme is on BBC2 at 8pm but not on the HD channel until 10pm :mad:

Oh noes! :p
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    kinetic747 wrote: »
    Oh noes! :p

Oh yeses! :p

This is the sort of programme for which HD was invented (imo) - it looks absolutely magnificent in HD. A wonderful programme but I'll have to stay up past my bedtime to watch it in HD. Boo!

Edit: Mind you, I'm still up now!
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loved this

When you think about it, we had a little girl abandoned by her mum with her dad trying to raise her - mum returns with a new baby, apparently leaving dad whilst pregnant. It was a flipping episode of Jeremey Kyle with far more appealing and intelligent participants
  • Options
    giztategiztate Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I miss this but placed it on sky plus - I look forward to watching it.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you think about it, we had a little girl abandoned by her mum with her dad trying to raise her - mum returns with a new baby, apparently leaving dad whilst pregnant. It was a flipping episode of Jeremey Kyle with far more appealing and intelligent participants
    He he, that's what was said in our home. We were waiting for the ex to turn up and demand a paternity test :D

As for how Gorillas can continue to trust humans, well the ones who learn otherwise don't get to go home afterwards and tell everyone what happened. :(
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only criticism I have of the BBC's serial nature programmes is that there always has to be a sentimental narrative to string viewers along. Here, it was the 3 year old female gorilla whose mother had ran off with a silverback from another group. Grimly, we were informed of the 50% mortality rate for young gorillas and how the mothers are with them 24/7 up until the age of 5. Then we see the youngster failing to build an adequate nest as the cold, heavy rainstorm erupts during the evening. Dad can't help as he's too heavy for a tree.

Right, so we need to get the hankies out and start preparing to look away fairly soon. Of course not! We can't show cuddly little mammals dying, that's going to upset the audience.

Cut to the next day and she's found to have given up on the nest and snuggled up to dad. Later, mom returns. Seems she was pregnant by this group's silverback when she left, and has returned with a baby boy.

Stop the anthropomorphism, BBC. If we want soap opera there's more than enough ladled around the channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, it was amazing, shame they are only doing three episodes of it though.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just like to agree with the previous comments. This was high quality TV and well done to the BBC. The natural history unit remains very high quality.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    What happened to the little orphan that Titan was looking after?
  • Options
    kinetic747kinetic747 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    What happened to the little orphan that Titan was looking after?

He died unfortunately. :(
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,681
    Forum Member
    tedmaul09 wrote: »
    This is what the BBC does well ... Stunning.
    Especially with the DD5.1 soundtrack. I just wish much more HD programming had better sound.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this documentary. At first I didn't think I would, but I did. It was just a shame that there was only three episodes and I wished there was more.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kinetic747 wrote: »
    He died unfortunately. :(

but they didnt say how. Was he killed by the new leader or did he die of natural causes.

Plenty of shagging in this week's episode :D. Just like another episode of Jeremy Kyle, but with more intelligent participants :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    but they didnt say how. Was he killed by the new leader or did he die of natural causes.

Plenty of shagging in this week's episode :D. Just like another episode of Jeremy Kyle, but with more intelligent participants :cool:

They even had a paternity test :D