Options

The Killing - BBC4 Saturday evenings

Comments

• Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed this in the listings. Looks quite interesting. So the stories are two parters then?

Well done to BBC 4 for snapping it up. We have to keep BBC 4 at all costs. BBC 3 however I want to see destroyed!!!

BBC3 and BBC4 are probably my favourite channels.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BBC3 and BBC4 are probably my favourite channels.

I like BBC4 for the foriegn language stuff and BBC3 for the light-hearted stuff
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    I'm used to hearing Swedish on BBC4 on a Saturday night.:D

It's a bit difficult to pick out the sound of individual words - these Danes do seem to speak quite quickly.:D
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »

It's a bit difficult to pick out the sound of individual words - these Danes do seem to speak quite quickly.:D

I was just thinking the very same things!
    Hope I can stick with this - my butterfly concentration doesn't like long series! What I loved about the Swedish Wallanders were the great stories - different one every week!
    This looks promising though! I've missed Wallander already. Saturday nights just aren't the same now.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well I enjoyed that first episode. Might have a breather and watch the second episode later on though. . .
  • Options
    J105J105 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    well I enjoyed that first episode. Might have a breather and watch the second episode later on though. . .

I thought it was very good as well....:)
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying it so far.

Is that windswept desolate remote semi-bog the sort of place that a Danish nursery takes its children have a picnic?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    Enjoying it so far.

Is that windswept desolate remote semi-bog the sort of place that a Danish nursery takes its children have a picnic?
    :D

I did wonder that, at the end of October too :D
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm struggling to Copenhagen.........:o:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I'm hooked :D
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First two very good so far. Quite similar in style to the Swedish dramas. Lots of young male eye candy too! (Not that I'm remotely interested, you understand!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep that's my Saturday nights mapped out for a while, though like others I'm struggling to make out the words, damn those speed talking Danes.
  • Options
    PaulraffPaulraff Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I was watching it on tape delay and it must have overrun by a few minutes so I missed the very end of episode 2. What happened.? It had just switched from the elderly blind lady being tied up to a scene with the politician in the car when it cut out.

Help!!

:)

(Please don't suggest iPlayer as I cannot view that.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paulraff wrote: »
    I was watching it on tape delay and it must have overrun by a few minutes so I missed the very end of episode 2. What happened.? It had just switched from the elderly blind lady being tied up to a scene with the politician in the car when it cut out.

Help!!

:)

(Please don't suggest iPlayer as I cannot view that.)

That was about it IIRC. The politician had a phone call from the press to say they knew about the car. We just saw Lund take her gun out of glove compartment of her car after she'd radioed for back-up to go in to old ladies house. Her partner had taken his gun and left for the flat saying they couldn't wait for back up. I think.

I've had a few glasses of wine :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally something decent for me to watch on Saturday night. Thanks OP, I would have missed it if I hadn't seen this thread.
  • Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nightstar wrote: »
    Finally something decent for me to watch on Saturday night. Thanks OP, I would have missed it if I hadn't seen this thread.
    Ditto.

I thought it was excellent. It's one of the few times I've been presented with a PC-character who didn't make me feel like I was being lectured and wasn't forced. Sarah is decent and treats people with respect because that's who she is and because it gets her results. She's not self-righteous with it, nor are the writers. More than that, she is not at odds with her superiors. She recognised as good at her job. Meyer, the more usually-seen Callahan-like maverick detective, is shown up as the liability that such a person realistically would be. I liked too that the senior Larsens are a happily married couple - much less rare in the real world than TV would suggest. Even Hartmann the politician isn't a cliché.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Agree with the comments. Very good so far and yeah, the Danes do seem to talk quickly, couldn't make out a word!
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is a pity that we cannot have an option to have the subtitles in Danish. That way we could watch it first with English subs and then try to follow it with just Danish.
  • Options
    MetermaidMetermaid Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditto.

I thought it was excellent. It's one of the few times I've been presented with a PC-character who didn't make me feel like I was being lectured and wasn't forced. Sarah is decent and treats people with respect because that's who she is and because it gets her results. She's not self-righteous with it, nor are the writers. More than that, she is not at odds with her superiors. She recognised as good at her job. Meyer, the more usually-seen Callahan-like maverick detective, is shown up as the liability that such a person realistically would be. I liked too that the senior Larsens are a happily married couple - much less rare in the real world than TV would suggest. Even Hartmann the politician isn't a cliché.

Spot on comments, totally agree. I knew we were in for a treat because I value the opinion of Alison Graham in the RT. Excellent production. Thank God for Beeb Four !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watched the first episode and I have two predictions:

1. Lund will eventually dump her Swedish boyfriend and shack up with Meyer.

2. Bremer, the current mayor will turn out to have something to do with the girl's death
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Metermaid wrote: »
    Spot on comments, totally agree. I knew we were in for a treat because I value the opinion of Alison Graham in the RT. Excellent production. Thank God for Beeb Four !

I always ignore the opinions of critics because to my mind they seem to say "If I like this everyone else MUST like it" or "If I don't like this then NO-ONE must like it"
  • Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I always ignore the opinions of critics because to my mind they seem to say "If I like this everyone else MUST like it" or "If I don't like this then NO-ONE must like it"
    I find that far more prevelant with posters on the internet than with proper critics. Critics don't tend to come out with the "so-and-so sucks/is brilliant and if you watch/don't watch it, you're a moron" line of presentation that one finds in any thread on any TV site.

Good critics are able to analyse their reactions, positive or negative, in a way that informs their readers of what to expect or helps them work out their own reactions once they watch. For example, I'm struggling staying with Breaking Bad, which has universal critical acclaim. I can acknowledge that it's a good show but may ultimately have to accept that it's not for me. Without that critical reaction, I would never have even made the effort.

I do wish we had a good online critical site in the UK - like Alan Sepinwall or the AV Club.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find that far more prevelant with posters on the internet than with proper critics. Critics don't tend to come out with the "so-and-so sucks/is brilliant and if you watch/don't watch it, you're a moron" line of presentation that one finds in any thread on any TV site.

They may not actually say that but there's always that underlying implication
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Just watched the first episode and I have two predictions:

1. Lund will eventually dump her Swedish boyfriend and shack up with Meyer.

2. Bremer, the current mayor will turn out to have something to do with the girl's death

That crossed my mind too, although I hope not - too predictable.
    It was also inevitable that she was going to stay.

I liked the first two episodes - I thought they were very good.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member

I agree with Verence: the critics may not say that, but I am sure they often think it. When you are a "professional" your livelihood is on the line, so you take some care about staying out of any nastiness that may threaten your job.
This discussion has been closed.