Went to the cinema alone yesterday

Comments

• David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually go with my wife and children, but if I am the only one who wants to see a particular film, I have no problem going by myself. If other people think me sad for doing that, it is their problem. They don't know me and are making assumptions why I am alone.

I must admit that I was a little irritated on my last cinema trip a couple of weeks ago. The young man in the row in front (who was not alone) spent the entire film texting his mates on his smartphone. This was after the cinema had shown a short film requesting audience members to turn their phones off (which I did). If you want to spend your time doing that,why go to a cinema and disturb other people?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I went to the cinema on my own, I would spend the whole time before the movie stressing about what the staff thought of me coming to the cinema on my own, not to mention what other cinema goers would think of me.

:

I used to work in the cinema and I can assure you that all of the staff are too busy gossiping, working, bitching about their colleagues or looking for ways to get out of doing anything to notice that you are in on your own.

As someone who goes to the cinema alone or with mates, I never look at someone and say "what a saddo - here on his/her own".

If you are worried, go and set out a coat on the seat next to you as though someone is going to sit with you, put your drink in the cup holder next to your seat to make it look like you are with someone else. Sit near the back so that there are not may rows of people looking at you - the people in front are not going to turn around to see if you are sat on your own! Try and go in the day when it is quieter and the majority of people are on their own. And most importantly, don't view is as "i;m going to the cinema on my own", put yourself in the frame of mind whereby you are going to watch and enjoy a film on your own without distractions and to spend a little "me time". Once you get your head around the fact you are taking time to do something for yourself, you should be fine.

That said, none of that is really necessary. No one actually cares if you are on your own..... Go and enjoy it (and watch decent films, not Mall Cop!) :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Thank you to Mo@reality, David Waine and Scubamonkey for the advice. :)

Much appreciated! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its strange that going to the cinema is perceived as strictly a social affair

but being in the cinema is a very solitary experience (in that everyone sits completely still and silent and experiences the film by themselves.)
  • cazza7cazza7 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fortunately my husband doesn't mind being dragged to every film I want 2 see, but I did go 2 see My Left Foot on my own as a teenager, no-one else wanted 2 see it at the time, and I wasn't going 2 miss it. They were all kicking themselves when it won the oscar
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    cazza7 wrote: »
    Fortunately my husband doesn't mind being dragged to every film I want 2 see, but I did go 2 see My Left Foot on my own as a teenager, no-one else wanted 2 see it at the time, and I wasn't going 2 miss it. They were all kicking themselves when it won the oscar

Amazing film .... had to study it for school so Ive seen it a million times ..... AMAZING ! Their loss !! Tho Im sure they've seen it by now !! :)
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed that solo cinema goers seem more common in the two West End Cineworlds, particularly in showings starting around 6pm - presumably because people like me often pop along after work to see a film on their Unlimited card before going home.
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nathlee wrote: »
    Quite boring I know, but part of my job is looking at different personality traits of people using a personality test called Myers Briggs
    One of the biggest thing that comes up is going to the cinema alone and eating alone in a restaurant.

I'm absolutely fine with going to the cinema alone but the one time I ended up having to eat in a table service restaurant alone felt horribly awkward; it's the waiting at an exposed table wondering where to look or what to do while all around you are couples and groups chatting away. I think there's also an element of Mr Bean! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veZOrXVHf7U
  • cazza7cazza7 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Amazing film .... had to study it for school so Ive seen it a million times ..... AMAZING ! Their loss !! Tho Im sure they've seen it by now !! :)

It really was their loss as I realised in 1989 just how good an actor Daniel Day Lewis was, infact I am going through my collection of his films at the moment. Just watched A room with a view tonight, I haven't seen it in years.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I go to the cinema on my own every week and I don't have have a problem with it.However I have had a few coments over the years but I just ignore it.I've got an unlimited card so I tend to go to the first screenings on a Saturday or Sunday as they tend to be quieter.Sometimes I go with friends but not that often.It just means I get to see films when I want to see them rather than missing out because I couldn't find someone to go along with me!
  • NeonopticNeonoptic Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mostly go to the cinema solo and I've never once felt embarrassed - who cares! I much prefer it than going with others, there's no hanging around for people whilst they get drinks and popcorn (which I hate...why can't people not eat or drink for two hours?), no hanging around for them going to the toilets, I can sit where I want to, I don't need to feel embarrassed because they're talking loudly over the trailers etc....
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    I saw the same film on my own a few weeks ago. I'd seen it with my dad a few weeks earlier but it was much quieter the second time round, thankfully.

I like going to the cinema alone, that way I don't have anybody asking me questions. :o
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find it amusing to hear people who couldn't possibly comprehend or understand the idea of going to the cinema on your own.

I understand totally if someone is anxious or overly shy and self conscious, that's a different issue, but for people to react the way they do at the prospect of going to the cinema on their own is very funny.

I knew someone a while back who used to complain that she missed so many films at the cinema because she couldn't find someone to go with. I said "Why don't you go on your own?".

She looked at me with abject horror and said "I can't do THAT!" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I think I've only been to the cinema with people about 5 times in the last 30 years. I like going on my own. It's so much easier. You choose everything from day, time seating and film.
    Another bonus is you can go and see the films you know will probably be crap and your friends wouldn't go to see or would make fun of you for suggesting it.

I've been to lots of "kids" films and really enjoyed them. If I hadn't gone to see them at the cinema chances are I would have missed them completely as I would probably missed seeing when they came onto Sky.
  • QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone to the cinema on my own for the last decade, mainly cause I rarely have anyone to go with and I like going midday when it's cheaper. There's usually a few people also on their own, particularly at popular films.
    I don't know if I could really tolerate eating out alone though.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've gone on my own loads of times.

My wife hates sci-fi and anything based on a comic-book, and most of my friends aren't keen on blockbusters, so I've seen various films on my lonesome over the last few years... Transformers 3, The Dark Knight, Watchmen, Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3...
  • demon freakdemon freak Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    i prefer going to the cinema on my own as i dont have to listen someone talking in my ear all the time.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    i prefer going to the cinema on my own as i dont have to listen someone talking in my ear all the time.

same.

I choose to sit right at the back, and right in the corner of the cinema.

:):p
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see Return of the King about 4 times - the first time my partner went with me then wouldn't go again so I went on my own. It felt a bit odd at first but I noticed there were others on their own - including a man who cried noisily at the end when Frodo goes 'Into The West'.

I've see a couple of Jake Gyllenhaal films on my own (am a Gyllenhaalic) - simply because no-one wanted or was available to go at the time - and I certainly wasn't going to wait for the DVD to come out!

I think I saw the Dark Night on my own - it was packed so no-one noticed me or thought me odd.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always go to the cinema alone, and did even when I was married. I cannot stand having somebody talk to me or interrupt the film in any way. I also want to be able to move seats if i need to, so that I can find a spot I'm happy with (if there are spare seats).

I just want to watch the film in peace :D

Somebody asked above about going on your own and feeling self-conscious. Book the ticket before-hand, if you can book the position - I find an aisle seat better. Go in just before the lights go down, then nobody can see you or cares once the ads have started... and it can look like you're joining somebody else.

That's what I did initially when I went on my own, now I don't care - I take a book or a magazine and read until the show starts :)
  • Mo@realityMo@reality Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    same.

I choose to sit right at the back, and right in the corner of the cinema.

:):p

Funny I like to sit down the front on the aisle. I remember seeing The Beach on a midweek matinee performance and there was only about 3 other people in the cinema, we all sat miles apart from each other and it was like having your own private screening. The Beach is one of my favourite films and I wonder if it was because I enjoyed the experience of seeing it so much that has added to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never understood why going to the cinema alone is such a huge social taboo. It isn't like you are supposed to talk or be disruptive during the film. I'm always bewildered that going to the cinema is promoted as the ultimate social experience.

I feel sorry for people who can't do things without being surrounded by a pack of people. They must miss out on a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zapomatic wrote: »
    I'm absolutely fine with going to the cinema alone but the one time I ended up having to eat in a table service restaurant alone felt horribly awkward; it's the waiting at an exposed table wondering where to look or what to do while all around you are couples and groups chatting away. I think there's also an element of Mr Bean! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veZOrXVHf7U

Agree. I can absolutely understand why eating out alone is such a no-no. I've done it myself a few times and I've never felt more awkward; and I enjoy my own company a lot. I think it's because of what you said; where do you look, etc.

I think going to restaurants alone can't be compared with going to the cinema alone. Totally different environments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,990
    Forum Member
    I so wish I wasn't self concious enough to care because i'd love to go to the cinema on my own without having to see what other people want to see ha the only reason I don't do it now is lack of confidence but i'm perfectly fine with people who go on there own and i've seen it several times myself :).
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never understood why going to the cinema alone is such a huge social taboo. It isn't like you are supposed to talk or be disruptive during the film. I'm always bewildered that going to the cinema is promoted as the ultimate social experience.

I feel sorry for people who can't do things without being surrounded by a pack of people. They must miss out on a lot.

I suppose it's because it's always been associated with dating, a coupley thing to do.

The last place I'd want to be on a date is the cinema... although it's a good place to ignore somebody you don't want to be with :D