Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In honour of Madonna's birthday, I'm going to pop in a DVD of one of her tours later. But which one? I'm leaning towards the Confessions tour, since it was my first experience of seeing her live.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I'm going to watch Truth or Dare later for the millionth time!
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In honour of Madonna's birthday, I'm going to pop in a DVD of one of her tours later. But which one? I'm leaning towards the Confessions tour, since it was my first experience of seeing her live.

The Confessions tour was miles better than Sticky and Sweet. The Isaac/Paradise (Not for Me) segment is beautiful!
    I have seen the Who's That Girl World Tour live, the Blond Ambition Tour live, the Girlie Show Tour live and the Re-Invention Tour live. I have seen the rest on DVD/Video and I think that the Drowned World Tour is possibly the most boring. So, I'm going to listen to "Celebration" today in honour of her birthday!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    The Confessions tour was miles better than Sticky and Sweet. The Isaac/Paradise (Not for Me) segment is beautiful!
    I have seen the Who's That Girl World Tour live, the Blond Ambition Tour live, the Girlie Show Tour live and the Re-Invention Tour live. I have seen the rest on DVD/Video and I think that the Drowned World Tour is possibly the most boring. So, I'm going to listen to "Celebration" today in honour of her birthday!

I thought Sticky and Sweet was a lot of fun (not least because I was so close to the stage for that one) but Confessions flowed better, was so slick and had more heart, in my opinion.

I'm seriously enviuos of you for getting to see Blonde Ambition live. That must have been amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Sticky and Sweet was a lot of fun (not least because I was so close to the stage for that one) but Confessions flowed better, was so slick and had more heart, in my opinion.

I'm seriously enviuos of you for getting to see Blonde Ambition live. That must have been amazing.

It was possibly her best tour to date, closely followed by the Re-Invention Tour in 2004. The best bit about Re-Invention was I booked through a tour operator and it included a night at a plush London hotel. After the concert, the Hotel laid on a Madonna party in one of the suites and I got well p.i.ssed! It was absolutely brilliant though. The atmosphere at the concert was out of this world and the atmosphere at the hotel almosty equalled it! Us Madonna fans certainly how to enjoy ourselves!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a birthday treat (and a reminder), here are Queen Madonnas UK number 1's in order.

Into the Groove (1985)
    Papa Don't Preach (1986)
    True Blue (1986)
    La Isla Bonita (1987)
    Who's That Girl (1987)
    Like A Prayer (1989)
    Vogue (1990)
    Frozen (1998)
    American Pie (2000)
    Music (2000)
    Hung Up (2005)
    Sorry (2006)
    4 Minutes (2008)

And the ones that should have been:

Holiday (1983 and 1991)
    Like A Virgin (1984)
    Crazy For You (number 2 both in 1985 and in 1991)
    Live to Tell (1986) One of the best number 2's ever!
    Justify My Love (1990) (Beaten by Cliff's Saviour Day at Christmas!)
    This Used To Be My Playground (1992)
    Erotica (1992)
    Take A Bow (1994) Scandalous that this reached number 16 in the UK but number 1 in the USA.
    Don't Cry For Me Argentina (1996)
    Ray of Light (1998)
    Beautiful Stranger (1999) (Beaten by bloody S Club 7!)
    Don't Tell Me (2001)
    Give It 2 Me (2008)
    Celebration (2009)

The above list as number 1 failures, certainly contain some fabulous classics! What an achievement!

As an after thought, if her lead single from the new album gets to number 1, she will be the only female artist in history to have number one singles in four consecutive decades. We must launch the "Madonna for number one" campaign immediately.:D

It is shocking that she has some amazing number 1s yet so many should have and could have been more massive number 1s! All of the ones listed criminally didnt get that position.

Brilliant list though.

And Take A Bow should have a campaign, heck it was even used in the Friends series 1 finale! Love that song so so much!

And yes if her next single goes to number 1 (should do as it will follow suit of her last two albums) she will be the only artist to have a number 1 across 4 decades! :eek::cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was possibly her best tour to date, closely followed by the Re-Invention Tour in 2004. The best bit about Re-Invention was I booked through a tour operator and it included a night at a plush London hotel. After the concert, the Hotel laid on a Madonna party in one of the suites and I got well p.i.ssed! It was absolutely brilliant though. The atmosphere at the concert was out of this world and the atmosphere at the hotel almosty equalled it! Us Madonna fans certainly how to enjoy ourselves!!!

Awwww Blonde Ambition, its like THE tour like none can comapare! :cool:

Just want it on Blu Ray so we can all experience it! Maybe remaster for 3D in cinemas! :cool:

BUT i just cannot wait to see the scale of the next tour Live Nations budget is gonna be out the window! Money is no object! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand there might be a tour, she usually does with an album. (I refuse to miss seeing her live, having seen her S&S tour on the television, I have to be at the next one) Anyone any tips on how to get tickets, or is it a case of camping outside the stadium for a week?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Califa wrote: »
    It's finds like this which need to make you Madonna right hand man planning tour concepts, songs and much more. :P

Hahahah wel i love finding these absurdly comical videos!

But i think wizzywick has a fantastic imagination too :) I think it should be collaborative. And Mr F can add to the insanity too :D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand there might be a tour, she usually does with an album. (I refuse to miss seeing her live, having seen her S&S tour on the television, I have to be at the next one) Anyone any tips on how to get tickets, or is it a case of camping outside the stadium for a week?

I think this era they may market it differently before. You can book online (like i did) but you must also be fast as the S&S tour didnt have many dates which was a shame as it was in demand massively!

I hope she does more dates in the UK personally to make it easier to get tickets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this era they may market it differently before. You can book online (like i did) but you must also be fast as the S&S tour didnt have many dates which was a shame as it was in demand massively!

I hope she does more dates in the UK personally to make it easier to get tickets.

I so want a ticket! Every gig i try and get a ticket for the site crashes and i am left without. Madonna would be my dream gig!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I so want a ticket! Every gig i try and get a ticket for the site crashes and i am left without. Madonna would be my dream gig!

I was so so so lucky for S&S and was very much worth it!

And this tour is a definite must! I hope she does more dates. The demand is always massive and she of course wanted to visit as many places as fast as possible last time but i really want her to take her time with her concerts this era and market herself everywhere.

I love the idea of her album Promo Concerts during album release month and then of course the tour itself :cool:
    Forum Member
    The Blond Ambition tour is her best in my opinion, watching it on youtube you could really feel the excitement of the crowd. I also love the theatrical sense of the performances and how each song fits in with the last and next like Like a Virgin-Like a Prayer-Live to Tell/Oh Father-Papa Don't Preach

Her performance of Live to Tell/Oh Father has to be one of my favorites
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    The Blond Ambition tour is her best in my opinion, watching it on youtube you could really feel the excitement of the crowd. I also love the theatrical sense of the performances and how each song fits in with the last and next like Like a Virgin-Like a Prayer-Live to Tell/Oh Father-Papa Don't Preach

Her performance of Live to Tell/Oh Father has to be one of my favorites

An 80 minute version of Blond Ambition was shown on BBC2 at 9pm on Christmas Eve 1990. It formed the event of Xmas Eve on the UK's second channel that year! That was how big she was at the time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*jealousjealousjealous*

:mad:

:p:D

I was only about seven at the time, and more interested in playing with my Barbie dolls than what was going on in the music world. I'm grateful I've been able to see Madonna live twice, though. I'm hoping she'll tour again when her next album comes out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *jealousjealousjealous*

:mad:

:p:D

I was only about seven at the time, and more interested in playing with my Barbie dolls than what was going on in the music world. I'm grateful I've been able to see Madonna live twice, though. I'm hoping she'll tour again when her next album comes out.

I went to the Re-invention tour with my mate. He was a bit star struck and keppt nudging me saying "Steve, it's Madonna up there!" I got so fed up I shouted "I KNOW! SHUT UP!!!" much to the annoyance of the miserable couple sat next to us. Yep, SAT! They never got up to dance once!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh sweet memories I'm having! I saw Confessions live on her Birthday. And it was just mental!!! Donna led the Happy Birthday sing-along and M was just speechless! She was really touched and so humble when she talked about how seeing many flags waving in the room from different countries mixing and having a good time was her best gift. That got everyone crazy!!!1

And to answer your question - if it was meant to be answered - if you've seen Confessions then why not diving into DWT? Or The Girlie Show? - These two are certainly sit high in my Top 5 of her best tours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexMalgua wrote: »
    Oh sweet memories I'm having! I saw Confessions live on her Birthday. And it was just mental!!! Donna led the Happy Birthday sing-along and M was just speechless! She was really touched and so humble when she talked about how seeing many flags waving in the room from different countries mixing and having a good time was her best gift. That got everyone crazy!!!1

And to answer your question - if it was meant to be answered - if you've seen Confessions then why not diving into DWT? Or The Girlie Show? - These two are certainly sit high in my Top 5 of her best tours.

I remember the critics reviews of the Girlie Show and they were not favourite. The Sun reviewer described it as "Worst Concert I've Ever Seen". There were numerous criticisms about her not performing many of her classics (infact she sang: Vogue, Like A Virgin, Express Yourself, La Isla Bonita and Holiday. Everybody was sang right at the end.) Most of the concert (you can't really call her shows Concerts!) was of her new Erotica stuff and as such it was kind of racy! But, if every Madonna show was identical what would be the point? I loved The Girlie Show but I still maintain that the Drowned World tour is her least magnificent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dang from blasting Erotica last night it just reaffirmed that Thief of Hearts must be one of her most overlooked songs! Anyone else agree?
    Forum Member
    Dang from blasting Erotica last night it just reaffirmed that Thief of Hearts must be one of her most overlooked songs! Anyone else agree?

I do! The whole album!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An 80 minute version of Blond Ambition was shown on BBC2 at 9pm on Christmas Eve 1990. It formed the event of Xmas Eve on the UK's second channel that year! That was how big she was at the time

Dayyymn! I do miss Madonna on telly! :(

There needs to be more Madonna televised stuff! When her enw era starts etc. should be mahoooosive! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I second the fact that the Erotica era is her most overlooked as the album itself is one of the best ever made! And the tour got slamming despite the fact it is a sensational showcase! (I rank it just after BA and Confessions i LOVE it!)

And Words, Thief Of Hearts, Waiting, Secret garden....they are relevant lyrically today! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the Re-invention tour with my mate. He was a bit star struck and keppt nudging me saying "Steve, it's Madonna up there!" I got so fed up I shouted "I KNOW! SHUT UP!!!" much to the annoyance of the miserable couple sat next to us. Yep, SAT! They never got up to dance once!

I empathise with your friend as i was just in awe of it all! Like pinch me, pinch me sort of thing! I think the hysteria of it really got to me too :)

And this time i hope to control myself :D
    Forum Member
    I'm onto Bedtime Stories listening to Bedtime Story
    Today is the last day that I am using words...

This is such a good album
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    I'm onto Bedtime Stories listening to Bedtime Story
    Today is the last day that I am using words...

This is such a good album

I feel Erotics backlash was really unnecessary. But Bedtime Stories was often dismissed as an album too.

I think it may be my least favorite "album" of Madonnas but i find it amazing that there are so many different R&B infused songs there.

And there are some absolutely beautiful songs on the album to. It is a mellow and subdued but beautiful sequel to Eroticas seductive flames!

And Bedtime Story i absolutely love! It is SO Bjork but it is SO Madonna too! Sanctuary blends into it so so well too :)

Its a song i wish would last for double the duration to be honest! Like Skin on ROL, also i love the Acid House styles in it too! :cool: not to mention the video!

There were 4 powerful singles from the album too!
This discussion has been closed.