Options

Worst bits of the following areas in South London/Kent

2»

Comments

• Options
    Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Swanley is ok...much better than SE London anyway!! I don't live there but have family and friends in various, 'nicer' parts ie avoid Hart Dyke Road and various other estates and you'll be fine. Or you could venture out into Crockenhill or Hextable, very nice areas, if you don't mind a 30 min walk to the station.
  • Options
    Monty_HallMonty_Hall Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I know that these areas are not considered particularly nice, but we may need to move back closer to London and we do not have a big budget

Where do you need to commute to?

What is your budget and for what sized house?

There are various transport options from those areas, and Crossrail is coming to Abbey Wood.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son lives in Sidcup and loves it. We live in Yorkshire so it was a big change for him. When I went to visit I thought it was quite a nice place. I know once he has completed his studies there he would be more than happy to be based there.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Well considering we need the south east, and cant afford anywhere 'nice' is there a better option out of the above?

OHs job is in central south east London and mine can be anywhere so it needs to be any of the above.

How about Medway, Grain/Cliffe or Gravesham?

There are some very nice areas in both and some not so nice areas, but they are generally quite safe. Also the Kings Ferry/Clarkes coaches take those routes into London if your OH is worried about getting into work. The High Speed passes through too.

Or are they out of your price range?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »

And of course in south east London only white people commit crimes like muggings burglaries and physical attacks or hurl verbal abuse at people.:rolleyes:

Not of course that the liberal Independent would cover those cases.

Most black men who are now crime victims in London are usually the victims of other black men via gang culture. But we brush that under the carpet sadly.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people slagging off Kent? There's so much more to it than the bits that fall under SE London, like 90+% of it! What about Margate, Ramsgate, Canterbury, Sevenoaks, Tunbridge Wells? All pleasant places.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Why are people slagging off Kent? There's so much more to it than the bits that fall under SE London, like 90+% of it! What about Margate, Ramsgate, Canterbury, Sevenoaks, Tunbridge Wells? All pleasant places.

I don't think anyone is slagging off kent, they are just trying to help narrow down which parts of of se London are going to be decent ish for tiacat. Remember, she has a limited budget, so the parts you are mentioning, whilst nice, would be completely out of her price range which is why she has listed specific areas she is considering.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is slagging off kent, they are just trying to help narrow down which parts of of se London are going to be decent ish for tiacat. Remember, she has a limited budget, so the parts you are mentioning, whilst nice, would be completely out of her price range, so it's not gold bringing them into consideration.

I see, fair play.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty_Hall wrote: »
    Where do you need to commute to?

What is your budget and for what sized house?

There are various transport options from those areas, and Crossrail is coming to Abbey Wood.

OH works for Southwark, I can work anywhere

max budget is about 210k

2-3 beds but must have parking, or at least an ability to park easily, preferably 3 beds actually
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    How about Medway, Grain/Cliffe or Gravesham?

There are some very nice areas in both and some not so nice areas, but they are generally quite safe. Also the Kings Ferry/Clarkes coaches take those routes into London if your OH is worried about getting into work. The High Speed passes through too.

Or are they out of your price range?

The problem is that the amount we would need still need to pay for him to get to work, means that we cant afford to borrow the extra to move

at the moment, we could pay another mortgage on the amount he pays to get to work, we could then borrow that amount and have him pay a minimal amount say £100 to get to work per month and use the rest to pay the extra mortgage. When the mortgage is then paid off, we only have small petrol costs for work. Whereas at the moment, when our mortgage is paid off, we still have a massive outgoing for him on petrol until he retires
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is slagging off kent, they are just trying to help narrow down which parts of of se London are going to be decent ish for tiacat. Remember, she has a limited budget, so the parts you are mentioning, whilst nice, would be completely out of her price range which is why she has listed specific areas she is considering.

Thanks, we are actually in coastal East Kent after moving out from Beckenham, its too far for work, Im slightly home sick, people are a bit different here and its costing us an arm and a leg in petrol for my OH to get to work

having said that, we are still considering whether a move is the right thing and finding out information about the above areas (as thats all we could afford if we moved back) is part of the decision making
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    The problem is that the amount we would need still need to pay for him to get to work, means that we cant afford to borrow the extra to move

at the moment, we could pay another mortgage on the amount he pays to get to work, we could then borrow that amount and have him pay a minimal amount say £100 to get to work per month and use the rest to pay the extra mortgage. When the mortgage is then paid off, we only have small petrol costs for work. Whereas at the moment, when our mortgage is paid off, we still have a massive outgoing for him on petrol until he retires

Have a look at the coach rates. They are very reasonable and much cheaper than the train or driving. Sometimes they do deals and reduced annual tickets and stuff.

Kings and Clarkes go through the area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be surprised if they are cheaper than driving, and in any case, he really needs his car for work as he does home visits. he could manage without and go on public transport as his patch is fairly small but it would be inconvenient. Although he is aiming to drive in, I am still looking at the train costs as you never know if you need to get in by train due to the car breaking down or something
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family are from Eltham and the east side is really nice but inevitably expensive. The west side consists of the big council estates.

There is a massive new development called Kidbrooke Village going up between Eltham and Blackheath, mainly apartments. It's supposed to be a self-contained eco-village eventually and it's 15 minutes to London Bridge on the train.

To the east, the areas between Welling/Bexleyheath and Sidcup such as Blackfen are generally fine, if very suburban, but are again close to rail links.