Options

How does Florence get away with it

PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
Forum Member
✭✭
This girl is so out of tune all the time it is painful trying to listen to her. Tried to watch her doing a live performance on C4 singing 'you've got the love' but she was so out of tune had to mute the sound. Shame because she is a beautiful looking woman.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    i think you'll find that an awful lot of people disagree and think she has an amazing voice. she reminds me of kate bush with the raw ethenticity of it and live she sounds even better
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hold on, you think Florence looks beautiful, but is an awful live singer? Maybe you should get both your eyesight and your hearing checked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Although I don't like her, there's more to music than a perfect voice.

Some of my favourite acts don't have traditionally perfect voices, but I think they're amazing... such as Bjork, Karen O from YYYs and Beth Ditto from Gossip.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I don't like her, there's more to music than a perfect voice.

Some of my favourite acts don't have traditionally perfect voices, but I think they're amazing... such as Bjork, Karen O from YYYs and Beth Ditto from Gossip.

Beth Ditto is technically a very good singer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    When I saw her concert a few months ago, she sounded INCREDIBLE.

However, she has sounded really bad recently at the festivals. Not sure why that is. Perhaps it's the sound system and she can't hear herself to stay in tune. Perhaps she's been ill.

She used to be a lot better, so maybe her voice is just exhausted after a year of touring and promoting.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Paace wrote: »
    This girl is so out of tune all the time it is painful trying to listen to her. Tried to watch her doing a live performance on C4 singing 'you've got the love' but she was so out of tune had to mute the sound. Shame because she is a beautiful looking woman.

I agree. She's consistently out of tune and off key. She just shouts most of her music and I can't believe some people claim her version of You Got The Love is better than the brilliant original.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Moireen wrote: »
    Beth Ditto is technically a very good singer.

She stays in tune and can hold a note to some degree but she's not a traditional singer, which is the type of sound people associate with "good" singing. You know the older Whitney, Christina... those type of clichéd voices.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Florence, but her live singing is really bad at times. I watched her at T in the Park a few weeks ago and she was SO out of tune the whole way through, it was painful to listen to.

But I think she often gets away with it because her music is widely respected
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    She played at my summer ball this year, brilliant performance. I agree she's not technically great but I think her energy carries a lot of her performance.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    I agree. She's consistently out of tune and off key. She just shouts most of her music and I can't believe some people claim her version of You Got The Love is better than the brilliant original.

She is a lovely person and has great energy on stage but she is not a singer.
  • Options
    RecurringRecurring Posts: 287
    Forum Member

That was from her album launch last year and she was ill at the time (well, that and it was the Rivoli which is cramped and gets really warm). I'm a huge fan and that was the second worse performance of hers I've ever seen (the worst been this years T in the Park where she was smashed).

Unfortunately, the fact that her vocals have been a bit off at most of her recent festival appearances hasn't helped with people who say she "can't sing" when the majority of the time her vocals are decent.

Some decent performances (based off a quick search, there's a lot more if you look through):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j07TL2Cxcg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re3VspwcKCM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOy6aMJMHfo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOyDXlf2qkM
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She stays in tune and can hold a note to some degree but she's not a traditional singer, which is the type of sound people associate with "good" singing. You know the older Whitney, Christina... those type of clichéd voices.

Its got nothing to do with Whitney, Xtina et al.

If your going to choose a career in music, you are going to need to be able to sing properly, simply as.

A singer needs to be able to stay in tune, if you can't achieve this basic function, your in the wrong job.

All singers need good vocal coaches, just like all tennis players need good coaches whatever level your at.

What is annoying is the way anybody can be made to sound good in the studio nowadays with this autotune.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that she can be terrible live. I heard her on radio 1 doing a performance at a festival and as much as I love her album, I had to turn it off.
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I love florence live. I don't think some understand how her vocals work. They may come across out of tune but they are not, like how Diana's vocals sound like she always has a sore throat.

She reminds me of Kate Bush and Annie lennox.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

because her target market isn't just for pretentious, up market musical taste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one thing Florence is not is a beautiful woman. Probably a lovely person though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one thing Florence is not is a beautiful woman. Probably a lovely person though.

I can't believe how hollow some people can be.
  • Options
    NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw her at Blackpool earlier this year and she sounded great. Since then I've seen her on festival shows on TV and she's sounded very hit and miss, but I find a lot of TV broadcasts sound iffy, even of shows I was at myself and which sounded fine.

Florence's voice is quite folky in a way, almost yodelling in places, and this grates with some people. It's very much a Marmite thing as you either love it or hate it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the whole of her NME Awards gig, I think it was held in London. She was amazing, she did a whole bunch of album tracks and just blew me away, I think its on Virgin On Demand if anyone wishes to watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was awesome at Reading Festival 2009
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I've seen her on TV she's sounded dreadful, really out of tune. But I saw her live a couple of months ago and she was fantastic, didn't sound out of tune at all. Strange.
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get fed up of people saying how good her voice apparently is. Remember seeing her play at Matter nightclub when she was supporting Hot Chip and not really taking much notice of her. Seeing her play at Glasto on TV lately and her voice was just annoying me no end, to me her voice sounded worse than the time I saw her live. The best singers in this world know how to switch their voices up, the whole light and shade thing. She just literally belts it out at 11 like some fog-horn at sea every single time, it's beyond annoying. It's shameful when she gets wall to wall press and media attention yet someone more talented and with better music such as Bat For Lashes who can actually convey emotion and not shout down at you in one note hardly receives any attention
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she has a nice voice when she doesn't belt it out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    She's not 'constantly out of tune'. I assume this is based on seeing one or two performances. A lot of people don't seem to 'get her', maybe that's the problem. I've seen her 4 times, and she's been fantastic.

It's a bit stupid to say 'how does she get away with it'. You could say that about a lot of artists, but they have their fans, and that's fine. Was this thread really necessary?

So what if people say her voice is good? It's all personal opinion, go and find something else to listen to.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find her voice can be a bit hit or miss, but when she's on form, she's amazing. :)