Options

Three all you can eat data sim payg in iPad

reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
Forum Member
✭✭
I a friend that has a sim card with the payg all in one £15 plan in their iPad. They download gigabits and gigabits but Three doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. They can even use the personal hotspot feature on the new iPad.

Do you think they got lucky? Or do Three not really care with the payg sims? Has anyone else tried this and got it to work? I read somewhere about 3 months ago that they got a PAYG sim to work but not pay monthly?

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I a friend that has a sim card with the payg all in one £15 plan in their iPad. They download gigabits and gigabits but Three doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. They can even use the personal hotspot feature on the new iPad.

Do you think they got lucky? Or do Three not really care with the payg sims? Has anyone else tried this and got it to work? I read somewhere about 3 months ago that they got a PAYG sim to work but not pay monthly?

From what i've seen, Three have a system to see if you're tethering.. All the new sims on pay monthly with the new ultimate/essential tariffs will have tethering blocked by default and redirect to a tethering add on page. Old sims will work with tethering and i know a few people who still tether on old contracts fine. However some have had the tethering page come up, not sure why, my guess was increased data usage.

Pay as you go, i know some who are lucky like the person you mentioned, and some people who like i mentioned above, have been redirected to the tethering page after a while of having tethering working fine.

It really is chance i guess. Now one thing i will say is that using a mobile sim in an ipad or for tethering is against T&C so if they do redirect to the tethering blocked page there really is nothing you can do to get it off (except pay for tethering) but If its pay as you go you're after you can't go wrong as its only a top up.
  • Options
    reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    From what i've seen, Three have a system to see if you're tethering.. All the new sims on pay monthly with the new ultimate/essential tariffs will have tethering blocked by default and redirect to a tethering add on page. Old sims will work with tethering and i know a few people who still tether on old contracts fine. However some have had the tethering page come up, not sure why, my guess was increased data usage.

Pay as you go, i know some who are lucky like the person you mentioned, and some people who like i mentioned above, have been redirected to the tethering page after a while of having tethering working fine.

It really is chance i guess. Now one thing i will say is that using a mobile sim in an ipad or for tethering is against T&C so if they do redirect to the tethering blocked page there really is nothing you can do to get it off (except pay for tethering) but If its pay as you go you're after you can't go wrong as its only a top up.

Ah ok thanks for that. Do the sims work in the iPad just fine though? Without tethering?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeh they work fine, but like i said, if you're cut off or redirected to the tethering page there is nothing you can do (except use it in a phone with the browser)
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was taken to the 3 tethering page even on my S2.And i wasnt tethering phoned 333 and they said this sometimes happens if you use a different browser from stock :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    I was taken to the 3 tethering page even on my S2.And i wasnt tethering phoned 333 and they said this sometimes happens if you use a different browser from stock :eek:

Yeh i've seen this happen before. Using a different browser also allows you to bypass the content filter for under 18's as well.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be aware that Three have just introduced a throttle on data for their all-you-can-eat data plans on contract or PAYG.

More here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1676052

Basically it seems that many people now have a "dial-up" level of service as "punishment" for using up too much data on the (no-limits - no really,would we lie to you?) All You Can Eat tarrif.

It's at around 48kbps (that's kilobits per second!) from 3pm to midnight for such felons, for a period of 7 days for each data offence.

The nature of the offence is unstated so... just be careful out there.