Do you need help with Windows 10?

oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought It might be worth setting up a thread where people can ask for help with Windows 10 problems, and see if regulars can assist.

This thread is not intended for people to rant about windows 10 or CRITICISE its design or issues. If people want advice how to revert to old OS, that is ok of course.

So guys and gals - my starter for 10 (:))

Q: I have not received a Windows 10 update to version 10586?

A: Why not upgrade or clean install it yourself using following link

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 10 appreciation thread? :)

Sounds like a good idea. The main Windows 10 thread is way too long now.
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've previously removed the "Folders" section from This PC using a registry edit but they came back the other day. No biggy, but I did have to go searching for the solution again, so I thought I'd post a few direct links here too. No need to reboot your PC afterwards, simply restart Windows Explorer and voila! :cool:

Remove folders in This PC (32 bit)
    Remove folders in This PC (64 bit)

Restore folders in This PC (32 bit)
    Restore folders in This PC (64 bit)

If anyone ever finds a way to add custom folders to the list please post here.
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the Registry Editor I searched for "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree" and found the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}

Changing System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree from 1 to 0 removed Dropbox from the Windows Explorer navigation pane (and I still have it pinned to Quick access). As with the example above this will probably revert at some point, so it's useful (for me at least) to have these registry edits in one place.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've previously removed the "Folders" section from This PC using a registry edit but they came back the other day. No biggy, but I did have to go searching for the solution again, so I thought I'd post a few direct links here too. No need to reboot your PC afterwards, simply restart Windows Explorer and voila! :cool:

Remove folders in This PC (32 bit)
    Remove folders in This PC (64 bit)

Restore folders in This PC (32 bit)
    Restore folders in This PC (64 bit)

If anyone ever finds a way to add custom folders to the list please post here.

That's a good idea - tips as well.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Make Windows Explorer open to this PC instead of the new Quick Access

If you want to change it to return to opening up PC instead here’s how:

1. Open Windows Explorer

2. Click View on the top left hand side

3. Select Options on the right

4. Where it says Open File Explorer to: click the drop down menu and choose ‘This PC‘

5. Now click OK

All done!
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Make Windows Explorer open to this PC instead of the new Quick Access

If you want to change it to return to opening up PC instead here’s how:

1. Open Windows Explorer

2. Click View on the top left hand side

3. Select Options on the right

4. Where it says Open File Explorer to: click the drop down menu and choose ‘This PC‘

5. Now click OK

All done!
    I love quick access! The fact that all my recently used files are visible in Explorer and in dialog boxes (such as when adding an attachment) is one of the most useful Windows 10 features.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a well known issue where if you try to clean install of 10 PRO on latest version, and activate using 8.1 PRO key on a PC which originally had oem 8.1 core edition preinstalled, it installs 10 Home instead.

What you have to do is:-

From your Windows 10 Home running Version 1511, enter the Windows 10 Pro Default key under change product key.

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

This default key will not activate the system, just take you to Pro so you can activate using a valid Pro key that you will provide.

Info source:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-upgrade-1511-from-home-to-pro/1e552d5c-6657-4da8-91e7-fc352019a50d?page=1&msgId=f357494b-014c-45f4-9ba4-b2422775bedb&auth=1
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me how to return my netbook POINTER which has disappeared since Windows 10 upgrade last night
    Tried reinstalling the software using a USB mouse, touchpad has completely disappeared and the software driver seems to go through the installer motions but the touchpad is not there at all in Device Manager. Samsung N250 plus.

The netbook is effectively a brick and I use it every day for my diary. Its a good job I have a backup system, N110 with good old reliable XP.

I am off to work now so will look tonight when I return.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me how to return my netbook POINTER which has disappeared since Windows 10 upgrade last night
    Tried reinstalling the software using a USB mouse, touchpad has completely disappeared and the software driver seems to go through the installer motions but the touchpad is not there at all in Device Manager. Samsung N250 plus.

The netbook is effectively a brick and I use it every day for my diary. Its a good job I have a backup system, N110 with good old reliable XP.

I am off to work now so will look tonight when I return.

Ok - that is a pretty old device but googling found this

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/1087073

If that does not help, I am not sure what else can be done but if you backup all your data, a clean install often sorts this sort of problem. How did you install 10?
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    For the touchpad, have you tried the obvious (apologies if you have) and made sure that the function key is set to enable. It's usually the function key with a pad and finger symbol on it.
    Failing that, Go to Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, click Mouse then select Elan option. It should have an enable/disable option. Not sure if the Samsung pad is an Elan device.
    Apparently, it breaks a few pads, but, seems to be the ones using manufacturers custom software, so there may be solutions on the Samsung website.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or do a System Restore to before yesterday (Win+R and type rstrui )

Then Hide the Update before it is re-installed https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for suggestions, I have just got back from work and I'll try them, see how I get on.
    Im pretty tired at the moment so I'm only going to try a couple of attempts. The XP netbook is going well still so its no longer vital, and tbh I need some downtime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Ok - that is a pretty old device but googling found this

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/1087073

If that does not help, I am not sure what else can be done but if you backup all your data, a clean install often sorts this sort of problem. How did you install 10?

I installed 10 through the nag, but after putting an SSD in, so I still have the original drive with both W7 on it and a recovery partition, so if the worst comes to the worst I can go back to 7. 10 has been on it for over a month, in fact over 3 months, but the 'restore to W7' option still shows in Control Panel.
    Unfortunately restore points have not been made (I had no knowledge they weren't being) so that's out, and the touchpad isnt even in Device Manager so installing drivers and attempting to activate Elan, which I have tried, fails as there simply isnt a device to install a driver for.

Im giving up for now, I simply have neither the time or the inclination to sod about with hard drives. But I am pretty peed off with Microsoft, it really should not be necessary to fix a pc that they broke, especially at such a basic function level.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oilman, great thread and lets hope the usual W10 detractors keep off it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One feature missed on Windows 10 is placeholders for onedrive (effectively a short cut to onedrive rather than requiring file to be on pc as well as Windows 10 now insists)..

Following is an (alleged) workaround. Not tried it yet.

http://m.windowscentral.com/fix-placeholder-limitation-onedrive-windows-10?utm_source=related&utm_medium=module&utm_campaign=nextv2
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good place i've found is Youtube for hints tips and advice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3BBqQ9YK7s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZqKyhfD7-E
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=win10+tips

Surprising when you think you know it all, you do learn something new when you watch those.

Also it would help as this thread grows, if the DS search function was fixed >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    Good place i've found is Youtube for hints tips and advice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3BBqQ9YK7s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZqKyhfD7-E
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=win10+tips

Surprising when you think you know it all, you do learn something new when you watch those.

Also it would help as this thread grows, if the DS search function was fixed >:(

Been broke for a very long time >:(
  • Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just had the latest huge Windows 10 download and install itself on my laptop. All seemed well until I opened up one of my Libraries. Which proudly announced that all my files folders etc etc would be exactly as before. Except they are not.

In one of my Libraries he layout of the folders has changed. Rather than just being listed in alphabetical order they are grouped into blocks. I seem to remember I had the same problem when I first downloaded Windows 10 and managed to change the appearance but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it.

Also the update re-activated the touchpad and Cortana also seems to have lost all the settings and wants me to re-do them. I've disabled the touchpad and am not that bother by Cortana but would like any pointers as to how to change the folders layout.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan58 wrote: »
    I have just had the latest huge Windows 10 download and install itself on my laptop. All seemed well until I opened up one of my Libraries. Which proudly announced that all my files folders etc etc would be exactly as before. Except they are not.

In one of my Libraries he layout of the folders has changed. Rather than just being listed in alphabetical order they are grouped into blocks. I seem to remember I had the same problem when I first downloaded Windows 10 and managed to change the appearance but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it.

Also the update re-activated the touchpad and Cortana also seems to have lost all the settings and wants me to re-do them. I've disabled the touchpad and am not that bother by Cortana but would like any pointers as to how to change the folders layout.

Can you post an image (www.imgur.com is good for that) so we can see what you mean? Mark up image if you can.
  • Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cracked it.

I knew it was something simple.

Open Library then selected the View tab > Group by > from drop down menu None
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan58 wrote: »
    Cracked it.

I knew it was something simple.

Open Library then selected the View tab > Group by > from drop down menu None

Well done.

I'm not starting a new thread, and this is only a rhetorical question, but I now have Outlook 2013 (and tried Outlook 2016)

Try as I might, I have been unable to get the layout similar to Thunderbird, which I like for its simplicity and use of screen Real Estate)

So I continue to use Thunderbird for emails. Is it just me?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been asked several times by people if you can install Windows 10 and keep old Windows OS at same time ie dual boot.

The answer is yes, and it is quite easy to do with new version 10586 as you can clean install windows 10 but activate with old key.

The following instructions assume only one drive in pc, and plenty of spare capacity ie drive is not full up.

Note: this guide is only for windows dual boot - not Linux or OSX dual boot.

1) Backup valuable data first. Recommend this guide

http://www.howtogeek.com/223139/how-to-create-an-image-of-your-pc-before-upgrading-to-windows-10/

2) make a note of your windows 7/8 installation key. Use produkey or similar to extract it from OS if you don't know it. You need it later.

3) from disk management, select C drive and shrink it by say 50 GB.

4) using following link, download media creation tool, run it and select to create a usb installation stick

5) boot from usb stick, select custom install. Now be careful, and select to install Windows 10 in UNALLOCATED space.

During installation, it stop at the new dual boot menu, you have to select windows 10 each time to continue installation ie you cannot just leave install unattended.

6) when windows 10 has installed, go to activation menu, and activate using old key from step 2.

7) Reboot pc, and you now have a dual boot PC. This is permitted as you are allowed to use old or new OS on same PC, and you can only use one at a time.

You can do same as well if you have Windows 10 installed, and want to reinstall old OS.
    Forum Member
    The Ultimate Windows 10 Tweaker which includes some great privacy tweaks and features can be found HERE.
    It's a clean programme and has no added extras to untick etc. Enjoy...:)
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good link Call100, very handy by the looks of it at first glance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    The Ultimate Windows 10 Tweaker which includes some great privacy tweaks and features can be found HERE.
    It's a clean programme and has no added extras to untick etc. Enjoy...:)

Oh Goody. I had a look a while ago but there was still only UWT3.

Thanks for posting.