Doctor Who: The Bell's Of St John Prequel

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite satisfied. It's just hard to express it without being shot down these days :)
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    I'm quite satisfied. It's just hard to express it without being shot down these days :)

I was just satisfied that we got some Doctor Who, which is rare enough these days! I'll be even more satisfied during the next eight weeks but then probably return to being a miserable so and so until November :)
  • smokencheesesmokencheese Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor meets his hot new companion as a child, and she is a mystery that he must solve.

In a show where any concept is possible, Moffat regurgitates the SAME idea yet again proving he really is creatively-bereft.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just like some DS posters. Posting the SAME things again and again in the hopes that it will become fact eventually. Just like The Sun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like some DS posters. Posting the SAME things again and again in the hopes that it will become fact eventually. Just like The Sun.

Excuse me? It's the first time I have posted about the prequel.

It's pretty obvious that you're the kind of poster that goes gaga over any shiny thing that Moffat dangles in front of you, so you'd be more likely to be the Sun reader.

..and here's an idea for you..how about letting people have their opinion without attacking them 'cos you don't agree.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does seem to be developing a bit of a pattern. Does he ever think about the effect he has on peoples lives ?. Amy and Rorys dream of a family was destroyed at demons run.
    Melody /River was horribly abused as child and as an adult has been to prison for and will eventually die for him.Who knows what Clara will have to suffer or give up before her time with the doctor is over ?. That's why I thought Amy was so brave in TATM. She did her braveheart thing."They took my daughter,they took my fertility,they are not taking my husband from me".
    She only had to wait 5 years instead of 50+ before she was reunited with rory in heaven.
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey guys - why not research a word before applying one "Austin Powers" meaning to it?
    Within 10 seconds I found this "a magical charm bag used in hoodoo."

It has always referred to magic, the more modern sexual meaning is only apparent when used in the correct context. And in this case that is highly unlikely, if you need to be shocked by something like this then can I suggest the Daily Mail forums/
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse me? It's the first time I have posted about the prequel.

It's pretty obvious that you're the kind of poster that goes gaga over any shiny thing that Moffat dangles in front of you, so you'd be more likely to be the Sun reader.

..and here's an idea for you..how about letting people have their opinion without attacking them 'cos you don't agree.

He's complaining because you're more wrong than right about this. No need for the "uber-Moffat fan" accusations.

The prequel is quite obviously designed to be a homage to the Eleventh Hour, right down to the swing, showing, as another poster once said, that Clara is going to become as important to him as Amy.

Besides, it's a prequel! An online mini-segment, of which it'll never be referenced. The Doctor meeting Young!Clara will never be mentioned because the Doctor doesn't know it's her, and he didn't leave any impact on her for her to remember him. Heck, he doesn't even wear the same clothes or have the same hair when he first meets her.

Shawn_Lunn really hit the nail on the head here. Moffat is not reusing an idea at all. He's subverting it, ergo he clearly has not run out of ideas.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see some people are satisfied as I'm satisfied too.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's complaining because you're more wrong than right about this. No need for the "uber-Moffat fan" accusations.

The prequel is quite obviously designed to be a homage to the Eleventh Hour, right down to the swing, showing, as another poster once said, that Clara is going to become as important to him as Amy.

Besides, it's a prequel! An online mini-segment, of which it'll never be referenced. The Doctor meeting Young!Clara will never be mentioned because the Doctor doesn't know it's her, and he didn't leave any impact on her for her to remember him. Heck, he doesn't even wear the same clothes or have the same hair when he first meets her.

Shawn_Lunn really hit the nail on the head here. Moffat is not reusing an idea at all. He's subverting it, ergo he clearly has not run out of ideas.

Hilarious. Yes, you're right.. meeting his attractive new companion, who is a mystery he must unravel, as a child definitely hasn't been done before two seasons ago.

Subversion? Do me a favour :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or meeting his new companion first as a Dalek and then as a Victorian governess... yes, the man simply can't write anything new.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or meeting his new companion first as a Dalek and then as a Victorian governess... yes, the man simply can't write anything new.

Glib and totally missing the point.

All over the net people have expressed that this idea is a rehash. If your standards are that low and you're happy with it, fine :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's quite amusing given your view of the prequel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's quite amusing given your view of the prequel.

:yawn::yawn::yawn: Lame
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least you directed your yawns at the correct post. The Gatherer will be pleased :)
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member

All over the net people have expressed that this idea is a rehash. If your standards are that low and you're happy with it, fine :)

Or maybe he just doesnt take a bloody kids show as seriously as you pessimist nerds do and enjoyed himself. :rolleyes:

I liked the prequel myself, and my standards are fine. Unlike you, I also get laid
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :yawn::yawn::yawn: Lame

Meeting her as a child is the least important thing of the story. That is obvious.

And quite frankly, rehash or not, I doubt most people actually care. Thank goodness the vast majority of people inside and outside fandom who have seen it actually liked and enjoyed it, whether they think it's a rehash or not. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Or maybe he just doesnt take a bloody kids show as seriously as you pessimist nerds do and enjoyed himself. :rolleyes:

I liked the prequel myself, and my standards are fine. Unlike you, I also get laid

Intelligence obviously never invades into your little life..as you were.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meeting her as a child is the least important thing of the story.

ahh, didn't realise you had seen the rest of the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is why we can't have nice things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ahh, didn't realise you had seen the rest of the series.

No, it is logical from a production standpoint.

You don't make content that's exclusively for fans on the internet an integral part of the main product in terms of plot development. It's alienating. That's a bad thing.

Unless the concept was reintroduced in the story proper, of course. Then some genuine criticism (rather than innocent observation) would be justified. But that is not very likely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was a vingnette... just a cute little story. Writers rewrite the same things over and over... that's their style.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So what you really meant to say was yes, Moffat is re-using an old idea. Trying to somehow dress it up as a homage or "subverting it" (whatever that is supposed to mean) doesn't change that fact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukgnome wrote: »
    Hey guys - why not research a word before applying one "Austin Powers" meaning to it?
    Within 10 seconds I found this "a magical charm bag used in hoodoo."

It has always referred to magic, the more modern sexual meaning is only apparent when used in the correct context. And in this case that is highly unlikely, if you need to be shocked by something like this then can I suggest the Daily Mail forums/

So in what way would a young British white girl be using a magical charm bag used in voodoo?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least you directed your yawns at the correct post. The Gatherer will be pleased :)

Indeed. :)