Options

Prams: Forward or Backward Facing?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jaydogg_HomeJaydogg_Home Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    It's up to you really, try some prams in somewhere like mother care, It'll be easier to make sure you're babies ok, give it a bottle etc facing you but really it shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the process of selecting a pram & I was adamant that I was going to seat the baby backwards, so I could see the baby, but I have been told that it is better to face the baby forwards, as it is better for their development if they can see what is going on in front of them.

Is there a best way, or does it not really matter?

Facing you. babies love to watch teir mothers. Plenty of time to be facing outward when the child is on its feet. If baby is facing you, you can smile at him and interract. This is important.
  • Options
    oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I read this".... "I read that"....

I think the moral of this thread, OP, is that there are far too many books about child development - many of which contradict each other - that you should just go with your own personal preference.

However you choose to raise your child, you'll always find a theory nowadays which disagrees.

I'm going to get lynched by the Mumsnet crowd now.
  • Options
    miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oxfordruse wrote: »
    "I read this".... "I read that"....

I think the moral of this thread, OP, is that there are far too many books about child development - many of which contradict each other - that you should just go with your own personal preference.

However you choose to raise your child, you'll always find a theory nowadays which disagrees.

I'm going to get lynched by the Mumsnet crowd now.

I agree with you, but the bit in bold especially.

According to midwives/Health visitors/books etc I raised my 6 week premature boys all wrong! At the time! Now apparently everything I did was right :rolleyes:
    The guidelines change almost yearly!
    The best person I ever got advice from was my GP (who has several children of his own and never followed the guidelines lol)
    He said to do what feels right.
    My boys are seven now, and still alive so I can't have done that bad a job!
    I'm now treating my girl (1) pretty much the same as I did my boys, and she is just fine too.
    Sorry for going slightly off topic OP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Prams and strollers vary so much.
    My granddaughter's best pushchair (6 months-20 months) faced the direction she was travelling. It had a bar across the seat and she loved to sit up and hold on to the bar as she looked around.
    I am not sure about those double buggies where one child underneath is very close to the dirt on the pavements.
    But it's such a personal choice. Personally I don't like seeing older babies (four-five months) crunched up in those car seats on wheels so that they can't move a muscle.
    But I love seeing tiny babies in a pram or pushchair that can lie flat which happily seems to be the trend now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    miss-kitty wrote: »

According to midwives/Health visitors/books etc I raised my 6 week premature boys all wrong! At the time! Now apparently everything I did was right :rolleyes:
    The best person I ever got advice from was my GP (who has several children of his own and never followed the guidelines lol)
    He said to do what feels right.
    My boys are seven now, and still alive so I can't have done that bad a job!
    I'm now treating my girl (1) pretty much the same as I did my boys, and she is just fine too.
    Sounds like you have a lovely family Miss Kitty. :)
    Your post reminds me how much it is mums in the end who know what's best.
    My younger two, a son and daughter were born less than two years apart. The son was "put your baby to sleep on it's tummy" then by the time the daughter arrived it was "put your baby to sleep on it's back."
    Both babes survived but I was very stressed all the time should either roll over in their sleep. Nosey busy bodies would stare into prams to check.
    As for twins, I am one, born in the fifties. We had a pushchair where we sat side by side with no partition. It was much narrower than today's padded up to the hilt jobbies.
    The two babies had to interact with each other even if as I suspect there was the odd squabble. :o:rolleyes:
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    miss-kitty wrote: »

He said to do what feels right.My boys are seven now, and still alive so I can't have done that bad a job!
    I so agree with you .A new fad arrives every year .Yet all mine survived in the 80's with lots of love and input from Nana and aunties and friends .
    The old saying it takes a village to rear a child is so right .
  • Options
    miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Sounds like you have a lovely family Miss Kitty. :)
    Your post reminds me how much it is mums in the end who know what's best.
    My younger two, a son and daughter were born less than two years apart. The son was "put your baby to sleep on it's tummy" then by the time the daughter arrived it was "put your baby to sleep on it's back."
    Both babes survived but I was very stressed all the time should either roll over in their sleep. Nosey busy bodies would stare into prams to check.
    As for twins, I am one, born in the fifties. We had a pushchair where we sat side by side with no partition. It was much narrower than today's padded up to the hilt jobbies.
    The two babies had to interact with each other even if as I suspect there was the odd squabble. :o:rolleyes:

Thank you :D
    I was told when my boys were born seven years ago that they should be slept on their backs, yet while in special care for three weeks they were slept on their bellies, I was told 'we can do it because we have the monitors to alert us to any changes in breathing' Yes, that's all well and good but 3 weeks of sleeping on their bellies ensured that they were so used to it by the time we took them home that putting them on their backs caused endless screaming! So we slept them on their bellies, and they survived! I have now been told by my midwife I had with the girl last year, that sleeping on the tummy is actually good for a premmy baby!
    It was the same with weaning, we weaned the twins at 8 weeks, would have been 6 if I hadn't been talked round. And of course I was hugely critisised for it, but now apparently early weaning is better for premmies! :rolleyes:

99% of the time mothers instinct is the best thing for babies. I used mine and my babies have survived so far, I have 7 year old twins and a 1 year old. Whether the seven year olds will survive until their 8th birthday is another matter! :D

OP, I agree with others, go into stores and push a pram around to get a feel for it. That's how I chose my first one, a travel system, I pushed it about in the shop and fell in love with it. The only reason I sold it on was because once bub was out of the car seat, she was forward facing, and after my boys had the speech delay I wanted her to face me, at least sometimes. My new pushchair faces both ways so I can have the best of both worlds
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My pram swaps so it's perfect!

However bub will be facing me until he is much older. He has only just gone up from carrycot part to actual pram.

OH prefers to take him out facing outwards (he doesn't take him far though) but I have him facing me so I can see him and talk to him and make sure he knows I am there... The big wide world can be scary to a little babba. Also I can see if he falls asleep so I can pop his seat down and I can make sure he is fully covered etc..

There is a safety aspect as well? He wont be eating in his pram but when he is older maybe he'll need the odd snack and I want to make sure he doesn't choke :o

I love my pram, we spent a fortune on it but it is a joy! Also has a high resell value or will do for baby #2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I wanted a parent facing one, paid a fortune for a travel system etc. As soon as my daughter was old enough to sit she got pram sick :S Only solution? Forward facing so she could see where she was going.

She's just as demanding at 3!
  • Options
    Jaydogg_HomeJaydogg_Home Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I would say let the baby be facing you so you can sort them out if need be, I think also with all this tummy and back sleeping, find what the baby likes, every human's different.I've not got any children of my own yet, but help people out with kids, mine will be fed and changed when needed and X, Y and Z will be done the way it likes.
  • Options
    sharon7sharon7 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    My pram swaps so it's perfect!

However bub will be facing me until he is much older. He has only just gone up from carrycot part to actual pram.

OH prefers to take him out facing outwards (he doesn't take him far though) but I have him facing me so I can see him and talk to him and make sure he knows I am there... The big wide world can be scary to a little babba. Also I can see if he falls asleep so I can pop his seat down and I can make sure he is fully covered etc..

There is a safety aspect as well? He wont be eating in his pram but when he is older maybe he'll need the odd snack and I want to make sure he doesn't choke :o

I love my pram, we spent a fortune on it but it is a joy! Also has a high resell value or will do for baby #2

Which pram did you buy? ;)
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sharon7 wrote: »
    Which pram did you buy? ;)

http://www.mummyandlittleme.co.uk/bugaboo-1561-0/bugaboo-cameleon3-all-black.html

With a 10% discount at the time though!
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Khyra wrote: »
    I have a three week old and we brought the Silver cross Surf. We have it in pram mode all the time at the moment, baby can lie completely flat as it comes with a baby nest that you insert into the seat its almost like a mini moses basket. We can also fit our car seat onto the frame as well. Our baby faces us all the time at the moment if she faced the other way I think we would be constantly walking around to the front to check if she was ok. Once you turn the pram into the pushchair it becomes a forward facing seat though I would imagine that we wont be using that for at least 6 months.

When we were looking for a pram we narrowed our choices down and went into Mothercare and compared the two, the staff let us push the prams about and showed us how they worked both as a pram and pushchair. Its really important that you make the right choice and you feel comfortable with it and its fits into your lifestyle. Not only are they are expensive they are an item that you will be using a lot.

Snap. My little girl is 8 months and we chose the surf too. Lovely pram and suitable from birth because of the snug. Now she's older I can turn the seat either forward or out. Expensive but worth it.
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    Facing you. babies love to watch teir mothers. Plenty of time to be facing outward when the child is on its feet. If baby is facing you, you can smile at him and interract. This is important.

Very important to face a small baby, interacting with speech, facial expression and body language is vital. I hate seeing very small babies in front facing prams/buggies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also had a pram that did both. Surely they still make those?
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a beautiful pram, but that price :eek:
  • Options
    sharon7sharon7 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the pram I wish I'd bought :(

I love it! :D

I think if (big if) we have another one I need to convince the husband that we need a bugaboo (even though I have a silver cross, a maclaren xlr and a cheapo chicco which is for hols abroad :o )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Yes some prams face either way. I had a silver cross. I turned her facing me when she was born and about 6 months later I turned it the opposite way so she could see what was going on.