Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's said that a number of times now and in his first interview said he had looked forward to the move 'all year'. These desperate signings, they take time.

Someone at United needs sacking then. If it was always in the bag and planned so well why did it not get sorted until the early nours of the 2nd September? Surely they could have done the medical etc earlier? Given his pre-move tweeting history - and given the crap most new signings for any club come out with - I'm not sure I'd take much notice of what he or any player says. As with Balotelli for us, the only thing I want to hear is the ball hitting the back of the net regularly.

Whatever the motives etc, I'm glad he's in the Premier League as if he finds top form it will be a good watch in the bigger games - I just hope he has off days against us. If Costa's broken, a few FF punters will be cheering him on, that's for sure.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Someone at United needs sacking then. If it was always in the bag and planned so well why did it not get sorted until the early nours of the 2nd September? Surely they could have done the medical etc earlier? Given his pre-move tweeting history - and given the crap most new signings for any club come out with - I'm not sure I'd take much notice of what he or any player says. As with Balotelli for us, the only thing I want to hear is the ball hitting the back of the net regularly.

Whatever the motives etc, I'm glad he's in the Premier League as if he finds top form it will be a good watch in the bigger games - I just hope he has off days against us. If Costa's broken, a few FF punters will be cheering him on, that's for sure.

I presume that it took so long because Monaco didn't want to let him go, as their VP said.

Still, people will continue to dismiss what Monaco and the player have actually said, because it suits their agenda to do so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume that it took so long because Monaco didn't want to let him go, as their VP said.

Still, people will continue to dismiss what Monaco and the player have actually said, because it suits their agenda to do so.

Works both ways. United fans have agendas too - they choose to believe players when they're their players, of course, if it justifies the salary, transfer or whatever else. Presumably, you've chosen to not believe Falcao's hastily deleted tweet (photoshop? Yeah, right - people actually saw it on his timeline) and Falcao's own father? There's a whole world of deception going on here on BOTH sides.

As there's clear conflicting evidence for both sides, why believe anything? I'm not. The player's yours, that's the main thing. Taking the United-friendly spin on things is just as tenuous to be honest. No-one knows the truth, frankly.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Say what?
    What?

He said that he ignored the letter from Real Madrid.

His international manager decided that he wouldn't risk him. How does that make Di Maria a 'moron'?

You have misread my comment. I said "IF" that's what happened and I know he denies this. If I recall correctly (and I may not) it was expected that Di Maria would play. The German press certainly expected it. It's also odd that Khedira surprisingly missed the final and there were rumours about him faking an injury because he was scared to play, but maybe he also received a letter from Real Madrid?

In any event, publicly badmouthing your previous employer is not very dignified.
    This is Real Madrid we're talking about. They chew up and spit out their players when they see fit to do so.

Well, they got rid of him regardless. Refusing to play for your country in a World Cup final (I am just speaking generally, not saying that's what Di Maria did) is not only crazy, but almost akin to treason. Playing for your country is the biggest deal there is and it's much bigger than any club in the world.

I would like to hear Zidane's, Pirlo's, Beckenbauer's, Madona's or even Schweinsteiger's or pretty much any sane footballer's reaction if they were told something like that. The names I mentioned are just random, but I know Maradona, Pirlo, Beckenbauer and many others spoke out about what playing for their countries meant to them and that even refusing to play friendlies was severely looked down upon. Missing probably a once in a life time opportunity to play in a World Cup final would be beyond belief. :o I actually can't think of any footballer who I believe would agree to that.
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Real Madrid or any club for that matter have no right to stop a player, playing in a World Cup final as it is the pinnacle a footballer can reach in his profession, if true Angel Di Maria has every right to be angry.

Unless I'm missing something, the player can always say "no" and play anyway regardless of club pressure.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess it took as long as it did for 2 reasons: 1) concerns over the injury and how well he could recover, but he has shown he is back in top shape. 2) is Jorge Mendez. Monaco went to Mendez and told him they needed to offload Falcao (some say because of FFP, other's say because of the owner's ex-wife and the sudden loss of 2.4b), and Mendez went to everybody and their mother to try and get the best deal. The clubs dealt with Mendez, who dealt with Monaco. There would have been some lengthy negotiation over if the transfer was full or a loan, the loan fee, the loan wages, if there was an option to buy and how much that fee would be. So quite a lot to negotiate and barter with that Woodie no doubt went mad with.

I don't really understand these jabs that i've seen on here and from writers/pundits that Falcao only signed for us because Real didn't want him. Are they even reading what they are saying? That is like saying you only pulled Emma Stone because Andrew Garfield didn't want her. Stuff Garfield I pulled Emma Stone!

I might keep Costa and transfer Rooney for Falcao. Depends how broken the 3 of them are by next weekend ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Works both ways. United fans have agendas too - they choose to believe players when they're their players, of course, if it justifies the salary, transfer or whatever else. Presumably, you've chosen to not believe Falcao's hastily deleted tweet (photoshop? Yeah, right - people actually saw it on his timeline) and Falcao's own father? There's a whole world of deception going on here on BOTH sides.

As there's clear conflicting evidence for both sides, why believe anything? I'm not. The player's yours, that's the main thing. Taking the United-friendly spin on things is just as tenuous to be honest. No-one knows the truth, frankly.

So why do you care?

You've been banging this drum since it happened. Did Balotelli join Liverpool for any other reason than it was his only viable option?

Falcao is now a United player. That's all that matters.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why do you care?

You've been banging this drum since it happened. Did Balotelli join Liverpool for any other reason than it was his only viable option?

He shouldn't but he does, for a Liverpool fan he spends more time in here then he does in the Liverpool thread.

He spends more time in here then the majority of us do, and that includes Batdude.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    In any event, publicly badmouthing your previous employer is not very dignified.

If they treated him like crap, then he has every right to do so. I'd have no qualms about 'bad-mouthing' my previous employer.
    Well, they got rid of him regardless. Refusing to play for your country in a World Cup final (I am just speaking generally, not saying that's what Di Maria did) is not only crazy, but almost akin to treason. Playing for your country is the biggest deal there is and it's much bigger than any club in the world.

I would like to hear Zidane's, Pirlo's, Beckenbauer's, Madona's or even Schweinsteiger's or pretty much any sane footballer's reaction if they were told something like that. The names I mentioned are just random, but I know Maradona, Pirlo, Beckenbauer and many others spoke out about what playing for their countries meant to them and that even refusing to play friendlies was severely looked down upon. Missing probably a once in a life time opportunity to play in a World Cup final would be beyond belief. :oI actually can't think of any footballer who I believe would agree to that.

Except for Di Maria and Khedira, it would appear.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I would like to hear Zidane's, Pirlo's, Beckenbauer's, Madona's or even Schweinsteiger's or pretty much any sane footballer's reaction if they were told something like that.

You've got that name wrong. But I don't see USA ever calling her up to play in a World Cup final so it wouldn't matter what Madonna thinks. :p
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they treated him like crap, then he has every right to do so. I'd have no qualms about 'bad-mouthing' my previous employer.

Except for Di Maria and Khedira, it would appear.

I once interviewed someone who did just that and found it very off putting. It's like a boyfriend badmouthing his ex-girlfriend to you. I always think "If he talks so bad about her, what will he say about me?"

As for BIB - I never thought that until Di Maria came out with this story in the press. :o
    TheMunch wrote: »
    You've got that name wrong. But I don't see USA ever calling her up to play in a World Cup final so it wouldn't matter what Madonna thinks. :p

Haha! Fair enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why do you care?

I don't care. But when United fans shoot down other fans who dare to suggest that Falcao had other motives, citing agendas, then that's unfair - so I start caring. Just stick to your closing statement and leave it there. The only drum I've been banging is that people should at least debate some of these points rather than towing the party line and refusing to believe anything that puts the club or player in a remotely negative light - that's how fans (of any club) get labelled as blinkered.

Balotelli? Of course he didn't join for any other reason than it was the best financial option for him, his agent and Milan. I'm old and wise enough to realise that, just like I took the stance that Suarez may leave at any transfer window, irrespective of contracts, statements or conjecture. It's the safest stance to take with modern footballers. As he was relatively inexpensive, I just want him to deliver something on our investment and to remain a viable asset to sell on if we need/want to. If fans challenge why he joined us, I'm not to proud to accept its mercenary. However, it's a calculated gamble as IF he's grown up it could actually work in our favour too - the same no-lose principle applies to Falcao but some just questioned whether you needed another stellar forward if the salary could be better spent elsewhere? That remains a valid question - it's hardly as outrageous a notion as reaction would suggest, surely?

My take is that as long as a player gives 100% on the pitch, he gets my vote and I'm pretty suspicious of anything the players, managers, agents and clubs say - it's usually just transparent spin to protect interests. I think it's healthy to be cynical these days as it saves disappoint later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He shouldn't but he does, for a Liverpool fan he spends more time in here then he does in the Liverpool thread.

He spends more time in here then the majority of us do, and that includes Batdude.

Our thread's quiet (things MUST be going well). You'll notice I post in many threads where there's a lively debate going on or if I disagree with a particular point or have something to say.

I put my point forward and try to back it up (at the risk of being accused of verbosity) but I don't think I'm petty, unfair, petulant or antagonistic.

I totally get fans being loyal and protective of their club and players yet that shouldn't make these threads a closed shop should it? Some fans in ALL the club threads here (including ours) refuse to accept any criticism at all and get very sensitive or defensive if the potential of a "weakness" is even suggested.

As I've said before, decent debate is killed by the speeding traffic of drive-by WUMs who DO have an agenda. I've posted in this thread fairly consistently since getting involved in the football forum so me being in here should be an oddity.

And since Cantona07 left (who spent a lot of time in our thread and was largely welcomed), Batdude's had no-one to talk to argue with, hence the dramatic reduction in his posting levels! If Cantona07 was still here, my occasional posts would be dwarfed. :D
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batdude, Ive just remembered your auction is coming up isn't it, good luck with it, I will be thinking of you, auctions are very stressful at the best of times.

I hope all goes well.
  • toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See Moyes has give Rooney glowing praise
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once interviewed someone who did just that and found it very off putting. It's like a boyfriend badmouthing his ex-girlfriend to you. I always think "If he talks so bad about her, what will he say about me?"

If it's obviously justified, I don't see the problem. Especially if you have to explain why you left your previous job to a prospective employer.
    I don't care. But when United fans shoot down other fans who dare to suggest that Falcao had other motives, citing agendas, then that's unfair - so I start caring. Just stick to your closing statement and leave it there. The only drum I've been banging is that people should at least debate some of these points rather than towing the party line and refusing to believe anything that puts the club or player in a remotely negative light - that's how fans (of any club) get labelled as blinkered.

Balotelli? Of course he didn't join for any other reason than it was the best financial option for him, his agent and Milan. I'm old and wise enough to realise that, just like I took the stance that Suarez may leave at any transfer window, irrespective of contracts, statements or conjecture. It's the safest stance to take with modern footballers. As he was relatively inexpensive, I just want him to deliver something on our investment and to remain a viable asset to sell on if we need/want to. If fans challenge why he joined us, I'm not to proud to accept its mercenary. However, it's a calculated gamble as IF he's grown up it could actually work in our favour too - the same no-lose principle applies to Falcao but some just questioned whether you needed another stellar forward if the salary could be better spent elsewhere? That remains a valid question - it's hardly as outrageous a notion as reaction would suggest, surely?

My take is that as long as a player gives 100% on the pitch, he gets my vote and I'm pretty suspicious of anything the players, managers, agents and clubs say - it's usually just transparent spin to protect interests. I think it's healthy to be cynical these days as it saves disappoint later.

Nobody's naïve enough to think that Falcao was a boyhood United fan and would play for free.

Money obviously is the main reason that he's signed, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a club the size of United holds some attraction.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batdude, Ive just remembered your auction is coming up isn't it, good luck with it, I will be thinking of you, auctions are very stressful at the best of times.

I hope all goes well.

Tense times indeed!

Hopefully I get some good news, surely there is at least one person that wants to live in a modern, clean house with nice front and back gardens? There is also a very healthy sized garage, all plus points I would say.

Ahh well, one can only wait and see, but thanks for your well wishes, they are very much welcomed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And since Cantona07 left (who spent a lot of time in our thread and was largely welcomed), Batdude's had no-one to talk to argue with, hence the dramatic reduction in his posting levels! If Cantona07 was still here, my occasional posts would be dwarfed. :D

I don't like the term argue, let's just use the word "debate" instead, argue sounds like I get angry and feel like shouting at other posters, when that is hardly ever the case. On a personal level, I welcome all fans here, be they Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, or whomever, it is good to get different viewpoints, just as long as they are not just posting wind up type posts.

We had good debates me and Cantona, but at times he went too far, hence his free permanent holiday, I at least try to stay respectful of the person or people that I am debating with (no name calling or silly put downs for example).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, back to the football, and of course take this with the usual caveats, but the Italian paper Gazzetta, they have published the wages of some of the players in Serie A, and some are reportedly a bit lower than I at least expected them to be.
    For example (after tax) Pogba is reportedly only on £23,000 a week, Strootman's £42,000 a week, and Vidal is £62,000 a week.

I don't know how true that is, but if that is near the mark, then surely they could all be got at with better offers from other clubs?

Also some of the players whose contracts expire at the end of this season are Buffon, De Jong, Klose, Lichtsteiner, Mexex, Abate, and Vargas amongst others.
    Some good options there for some clubs, perhaps we could do a deal with De Jong in January when he is free to talk to foreign clubs?
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I actually know somebody who is looking for property in the north, with a priority for gardens so where's this listing/auction of yours batman.

A bit of free advertising can never go wrong either way I figure though right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway, back to the football, and of course take this with the usual caveats, but the Italian paper Gazzetta, they have published the wages of some of the players in Serie A, and some are reportedly a bit lower than I at least expected them to be.
    For example (after tax) Pogba is reportedly only on £23,000 a week, Strootman's £42,000 a week, and Vidal is £62,000 a week.

I don't know how true that is, but if that is near the mark, then surely they could all be got at with better offers from other clubs?

Also some of the players whose contracts expire at the end of this season are Buffon, De Jong, Klose, Lichtsteiner, Mexex, Abate, and Vargas amongst others.
    Some good options there for some clubs, perhaps we could do a deal with De Jong in January when he is free to talk to foreign clubs?

It sounds like Van Gaal has his heart set on Strootman, if you believe various reports.

If that's the case, then there would be little point in going after De Jong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davide Petrucci has left United 'by mutual consent', and has joined Cluj.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davide Petrucci has left United 'by mutual consent', and has joined Cluj.

I don't know why but I read that as Clunge.

FC Clunge, that would be a good one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    I actually know somebody who is looking for property in the north, with a priority for gardens so where's this listing/auction of yours batman.

A bit of free advertising can never go wrong either way I figure though right.

It is a bungalow, the link is here:-

http://www.westmidlandspropertyauction.co.uk/properties/1a4b48517bed4ea792dc69a230477257.html

The pictures don't really do it justice I don't think, as it actually very spacious inside, and outside the gardens are a good size.

It is in a lovely little close, with good neighbours who all look out for each other.

So thanks for inquiring on behalf of your friend, or the person who was or is looking for a place.

Everything in it is brand new, kitchen, bathroom, wallpaper, carpet, boiler etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RotMojo wrote: »
    I don't know why but I read that as Clunge.

FC Clunge, that would be a good one!

It is the Romanian team that we played in the Champions League a few years back, good luck to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like Van Gaal has his heart set on Strootman, if you believe various reports.

If that's the case, then there would be little point in going after De Jong.

Either way by the looks of things, each players wages would fit into our wage structure quite easily, even if they wanted an improvement on their current pay packets.
This discussion has been closed.