Educating the East End

Comments

• intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I get what you're saying. He could become any of those things but he might not have, being out in the real world with **** all to do would definitely give him a wake up call. I'd have still excluded him if I was the head, he's incredibly lucky that head gave him another chance to be honest.
    Probably why I wouldn't make a good head teacher to be honest.

I defo agree with the last part tbh :)
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    Not to mention the kid is what? 12/13? If 13 year olds don't get given chances to make mistakes then I dunno what the world is coming to.

I went to a well to do up itself grammar school and even there kids did things that wouldn't look out of place on this show if they were filmed.

I didn't watch the whole programme today so i suspect there was more to it but it seemed awfully petty to suspend a lad for bouncing a ball and not giving it to the teacher, yes he was rude and he needed discipling to ensure he followed the rules like everyone else but surely there was a better way than that. What good did it do suspending the lad and putting extra pressure on his Granddad and sick Mother, surely it would of just riled the lad and made matters worse. If my parents would of been called into School for that when i was a kid they would of just laughed at how petty they were. It Seemed to me the teacher was a bit 'power mad' but as i didn't watch the whole show there may of been more to it.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    I didn't watch the whole programme today so i suspect there was more to it but it seemed awfully petty to suspend a lad for bouncing a ball and not giving it to the teacher, yes he was rude and he needed discipling to ensure he followed the rules like everyone else but surely there was a better way than that. What good did it do suspending the lad and putting extra pressure on his Granddad and sick Mother, surely it would of just riled the lad and made matters worse. If my parents would of been called into School for that when i was a kid they would of just laughed at how petty they were. It Seemed to me the teacher was a bit 'power mad' but as i didn't watch the whole show there may of been more to it.
    I'd like to see how he is down the line if he keeps going to cadets. At work a lot of the young people find the discipline of proper rules quite reassuring once they've got used to them.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes our area seem bad because of this school, but they joined together 2 of the worst schools in the borough to make another bad one!!!!! :(
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suspect the teacher, Mr Palumbo I believe, uses the persona to cope with his blindness, I wonder how much of the bouncing ball he could see.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Well, If my Mother had to take time off work to come to School, I'd have been the one under pressure and felt the wooden hairbrush on my arse.
    Thought the Mr Palumbo was well within his rights.
    It wasn't a one off in the misbehaviour department, he was in the exclusion room or whatever they call it, then compounded one punishment with more misbehaviour.
    Watch the whole program.

I quite liked Mr Palumbo, very straight down the line, bet the kids don't get too many laughs and smiles out of him.
    I like Miss Hillman, she's quite tidy too, too much tom, but that's a minor thing.

Oh on last weeks program with the Teacher been assessed in-class, those kids were soft, behaving so as not to show him up, we'd have played up like hell and felt a little bit guilty afterwards.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Male head of Year 8 in stupid big black earrings. What IS the world coming to? How does he expect kids to respect him looking like that?

I actually thought he was a student who had been hauled in to be told off for wearing those costume earrings. Then I saw Halil sitting opposite.

Mr Palumbo is a good teacher I think. They all know where they stand with him.
  • avanneavanne Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Last week Mr Bishram was pilloried n this forum for allowing Tawny not to turn round & look at him whilst she was being told off. He allowed her to maintain the upper hand by not stopping the conversation and taking her straight to the headmistress.

The incident with the ball bouncing with Halil was the flip side of this. Halil was asked to do something and totally took the piss by taking it to the limit. Halil's behaviour was a direct challenge to Mr Palubo's authority. The teacher's clear response, in very old fashioned terms was 'I am not having your cheek!'.

Even then, when in front of the headmistress, if Halil had shown any contrition for his behaviour, he would have remained in school. Instead, he chose to insist he had done nothing wrong (clinging to the technicality of returning the ball within the stated time) when he knew full well what he had done wrong. Notice that they didn't appear to tell him what the issue was, they told him he needed time out to think about why no-one was happy with him. He knew what the issue was.

This is a child who is suffering uncertainty and emotional confusion surrounding his Mother's illness. Alongside pastoral care, he needs, and does actually respect, strong and clear boundaries.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    ali1234 wrote: »
    oh no. please don't tell me you're one of those people who believes people 'talk black', 'talk white', 'think they're black' or 'think they're white'? :(
    But the truth is that some black kids do actually "talk black"....

And I believe that it's sometimes been "fashionable" for some white kids to actually "talk black" as well!

You even get white rappers trying to emulate black rappers....
  • C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avanne wrote: »
    Last week Mr Bishram was pilloried n this forum for allowing Tawny not to turn round & look at him whilst she was being told off. He allowed her to maintain the upper hand by not stopping the conversation and taking her straight to the headmistress.

The incident with the ball bouncing with Halil was the flip side of this. Halil was asked to do something and totally took the piss by taking it to the limit. Halil's behaviour was a direct challenge to Mr Palubo's authority. The teacher's clear response, in very old fashioned terms was 'I am not having your cheek!'.

Even then, when in front of the headmistress, if Halil had shown any contrition for his behaviour, he would have remained in school. Instead, he chose to insist he had done nothing wrong (clinging to the technicality of returning the ball within the stated time) when he knew full well what he had done wrong. Notice that they didn't appear to tell him what the issue was, they told him he needed time out to think about why no-one was happy with him. He knew what the issue was.

This is a child who is suffering uncertainty and emotional confusion surrounding his Mother's illness. Alongside pastoral care, he needs, and does actually respect, strong and clear boundaries.

There are many Halils around in many schools. And it often comes from lack of good parenting - typically few boundaries being set, commonly due to the absence of one or both parents.

It's difficult to know at times whether to slap his backside or cuddle him (of course, both are not allowed in schools!!). But the reality is that there are more and more young people who find themselves in his position and they have to be dealt with, partly for their sake, but also for the sake of the other pupils.

Exclusion, whether internal or external, gives a chance for a good learning environment for the rest of those in the class, and also sets the boundaries for the difficult pupil.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh no. please don't tell me you're one of those people who believes people 'talk black', 'talk white', 'think they're black' or 'think they're white'? :(

He's supposed to be a professional, educated person .... Why doesn't he talk like one?
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »

And I believe that it's sometimes been "fashionable" for some white kids to actually "talk black" as well!

He's supposed to be a professional, educated person .... Why doesn't he talk like one?

So you are implying 'talking black' means 'talking in an uneducated/unprofessional/improper manner'? Ok. I see you.
    Forum Member
    So you are implying 'talking black' means 'talking in an uneducated/unprofessional/improper manner'? Ok. I see you.

It's not getting any better is it?

I only heard a completely unremarkable working class London accent, listened to the content/gist of what he was saying.
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »

Sorry, but that's a load of nonsense. For one, there is no such thing as 'talking black' or indeed white . If some put on or adopt a way of speaking, it's to do with their family background, for eg, if parentage is Jamaican they will pick up the Jamaican patois from their parents, mixed in with British accent. The way a person speaks, acts does not pertain to their race, it's from their backgrounds. It appears that some people do not understand concept of this.
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In some instances this type of talk can be described as ' street talk' which one will find is adopted by some kids of all ethnicities who live in certain areas esp. in London, rather than this ridiculous expression such as 'talking black'.
    Forum Member
    Jocolah wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's a load of nonsense. For one, there is no such thing as 'talking black' or indeed white . If some put on or adopt a way of speaking, it's to do with their family background, for eg, if parentage is Jamaican they will pick up the Jamaican patois from their parents, mixed in with British accent. The way a person speaks, acts does not pertain to their race, it's from their backgrounds. It appears that some people do not understand concept of this.

I've worked with a fair few lads who do the Irish version of that, usually not hard to pick out, especially in the construction game so many Irish blokes about, they probably slip more in to the accent as it's around them at work as well as at home.
    Forum Member
    Male head of Year 8 in stupid big black earrings. What IS the world coming to? How does he expect kids to respect him looking like that?

I think you're projecting your own views on to the children there.
    Some pretty crap values really, big earrings = don't respect the fact that it's an adult and a teacher.
    My favourite/most respected Physics Teacher, looked like a 'traditional' teacher rather unkempt beard, saggy tweedy jackets, accompanied by saggy cords and saggy worn parkas most of the time.
    That's a look that isn't going to get much in the way of respect from Teenagers just on the basis of looks, what he did gained respect though.
  • sharon7sharon7 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    My recording cut off towards the end - did they give ah update on the two boys?
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sharon7 wrote: »
    My recording cut off towards the end - did they give ah update on the two boys?

No they didn't ... just straight to 'coming up next week'
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not getting any better is it?

I only heard a completely unremarkable working class London accent, listened to the content/gist of what he was saying.

No, it's not getting any better, sadly! It's embarrassing that people still say these things. It reminds me of when Sharon Osborne said that Justin Bieber thinks he's a black man now (since he started taking drugs and going off the rails). That comment disgusted me to be honest. But of course she got away with being that ignorant.
    Jocolah wrote: »

In some instances this type of talk can be described as ' street talk' which one will find is adopted by some kids of all ethnicities who live in certain areas esp. in London, rather than this ridiculous expression such as 'talking black'.

Agree with your entire post! But people like the divide because it gives them more reasons to judge and label things!
  • sharon7sharon7 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    No they didn't ... just straight to 'coming up next week'

Thank you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I swear on Educating Yorkshire the kids were funny and even if they were naughty you still liked them. These kids are just brats.

Also I'm surprised by the complete absence of teachers shouting at kids. Mr Palumbo even said something like we are not going to shout at you but when we say something take it as if we have shouted it :confused: I only left school a few years ago and our teachers screamed at us. I bet if Mr Palumbo had shouted at him Halil would have put that ball right down.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Boofie wrote: »
    I swear on Educating Yorkshire the kids were funny and even if they were naughty you still liked them. These kids are just brats.

Also I'm surprised by the complete absence of teachers shouting at kids. Mr Palumbo even said something like we are not going to shout at you but when we say something take it as if we have shouted it :confused: I only left school a few years ago and our teachers screamed at us. I bet if Mr Palumbo had shouted at him Halil would have put that ball right down.
    Halil would have cried too.

Liked how the sports teacher - told the reality of trying to be a pro footballer to Lemar, isn't great, and got him to take part in teaching younger kids, in a lesson.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I like Miss Hillman, she's quite tidy too, too much tom, but that's a minor thing.
    Yes I thought she was a bit of an erm TILF?

Excuse my ignorance but what is too much "tom"?
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I thought she was a bit of an erm TILF?

Excuse my ignorance but what is too much "tom"?

I assume they mean 'Tom Foolery' jewelry, I like her as well, tom or no tom