Luke A vs Aaron

Comments

• xXxAnneAxXxxXxAnneAxXx Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comparing the 2 C5 BB winners:

1 was quirky, funny, stroppy, awkward & endearing (yet pathetic)

The other was dull, desperate, monatone, un-interesting, sneakily bitchy & also pathetic.

Aarons best bits:
    Dancing to Craig David in the bathroom, his dancing in general, his taste in clothes (Dog hat/Striped Pyjama combo FTW! :D), his taste in everything else, his awkward relationship with Faye, his moodiness, his Mr Bean-like endearence.

Luke A' best bits:
    Confronting obnoxious Becky, Insulting her BMI behind her back/Crying when confronted on insulting her BMI behind her back, Crying in general about the need to be liked, friendship with Adam..

In conclusion: 2 introverted winners, 1 with any real depth. The desperate was cheered, the quirky was severely booed. Only 1 remains memorable.

And yet LukeA won. With quite a majority apparently. Funny that.
  • xXxAnneAxXxxXxAnneAxXx Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether im a fan of his or not only an idiot who likes everything 'nicey-nicey' & non-disruptive will tell u Luke A was a gd hm. Aaron dominated his show for 3 months, a rarerity for a winner.

He was an asshole when it suited him but was also genuinely likeable & entertaining. Luke A was dull as dishwater from start to finish :yawn:.

This of course is only your opinion. Given the fact that the public voted him the winner. ho-hum
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares. Everyone has their preferences but for the sake of discussion Aaron's win did seem amazing by virtue of the fact he had to overcome a hell of a lot more.

The Wolfpack targetted him from the off with noms talk as well plotting to do things to deliberately upset or rile him. Then there was pitting Jem in who had a clear axe to grind against Aaron, The Crypt, Jay's lies , the friends and family noms. More secret tasks and twists to his detriment than the others by a wide margin.

Add to the that the clear editorial bias. To this day Aaron is the only HM we know has ever been lied about by Marcus Bentley narration (and it happened multiple times) cutting him off mid sentence and pasting parts of conversations and looks from other times to create an erroneous impression of things he'd said and done. Then there was BOTS which was overtly nasty about him from the time Anton was evicted. That's before getting in the ideas that producers were telling people on the show what to say or trying to get Faye to break up with him or treating his parents like crap.

After all that his win just felt a lot more cathartic...or would have done of not tainted by the boos and BOTS claiming that the devil had won. I don't think any sets of fans of a HM had ever been more pleased their favourite had won or any set of dislikers were so incensed at a HM winning.
    SourGrapes wrote: »
    I far prefer Luke out of the two, and even though he wasn't my favourite housemate in BB13 he is one of my favourite winners ever. I wasn't a big Aaron fan at the time and looking back I like him even less, he was a fairly big character but I do wonder if the series might have been better if he'd left - I wasn't too interested in his relationship with Faye and really didn't like the way he looked down on other housemates, in contrast Luke often seemed to look for the good in people (with the exception of Luke S!) and came across as a much more likeable bloke

I've often argued against the idea that any HM is indispensable. Forumers always argue that if a certain HM is evicted then it will be boring but I've never believed that. That being said I have hard time wondering what would have happened in BB12 without him.

Rebeckah and Heaven were always going to be up and out early and that's fine. I know some fans like the uber bitchy or crazy HMs but for most they are too one-note and not made to go the distance.

I can't imagine Anton becoming so obsessed with any other HM and to be fair his obsession and meltdown over Aaron hardly doing anything was entertaining to watch since no one else seemed equiped to match Anton so easily.

Obviously Jay loathes people like Aaron so his dislike was a natural one and thus Jay's plotting and scheming and lying and emotional manipulation of Faye, Jem and even Anton and Tom to a dregree over Aaron wouldn't have happened. That may have actualy made Jay more likeable HM but quite frankly I'm glad we had another HM to expose that nasty side as certainly BB were doing their cover for it. It's just as possible he would have been deadwood on the HL if not for the Louise relationship or the occasional blip like bananagate.
    I am not sure why that is the alternative to not letting a total bore win :confused:

I didn't really get the impression Aaron was a very nice person (Tom or Louise were nicer, if duller) but definitely a worthy winner.

But that's an impression; the impression his fans got is that he was a nice person.

Most of the nicest HMs BB have had to offer have never been in the middle of drama or had much to push their buttons. Last year Alex was the nicest but she had zero to test her. As it turns out it wouldn't have taken much to get her to turn but BB deliberately chose to give her an easy ride.That's why Aaron and say Rachel Rice were popular because they remained consistently well behaved even when crap was being poured on them. Similar to Luke A really over the BMI thing...but again Aaron had it a lot more than most.

Not sure why you think Louise and Tom were nice. Tom often said things how he felt in a forthright manner but it could come off as very bitchy and the fact his opinions at any one time were so interchangeable and subject to being led on. Louise was always have sly digs and her behavior outside the house is hardly that of a nice person.
    But you are right, loads of them have a 'back story' of some kind. It is a wearisome feature of this forum that people find it so hard to admit that someone they didn't support won on their own merits. It is always 'a sympathy vote' or 'the Welsh vote' or 'an anti-x vote' or 'block voting' or some other feeble excuse.

Every HM has a backstory of some form by virtue of the fact that every HM has lived a life prior to them going on the show. Whether I would class it as a "backstory" in the sense that most forumers describe is how relevant it is to their time on the show. Undeniably the whole need for acceptance thing was a backstory for Luke A but to be fair it wasn't a big aspect of his time in the house.

It's of course impossible for HMs to not to discuss their lives on the outside while on the show but we generaly don't see much of it due to BB protecting non HMs anynimity but we did see Aaron discussing certain aspects but not others and I definitely felt that it was BB trying to make it relevant. We know now that Aaron lived a deliberately modest life to provide better for his son whome he'd raised while caring for his disabled wife but BB fuelled the whole idea that he "knocked up and abandoned his disabled wife and was lying to Faye."
    TeekyPie wrote: »
    I don't know... I felt like he played Faye all the way through, treated her like crap, and I'm VERY surprised they're still together, I can only imagine it's just convenient for him. He seemed used to having women begging at him all the time no matter what he does wrong.

So convenient he lives and owns his business with her. :rolleyes:
  • TeekyPieTeekyPie Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it was close between him and adam?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The other was dull, desperate, monatone, un-interesting, sneakily bitchy & also pathetic.

Aarons best bits:
    Dancing to Craig David in the bathroom, his dancing in general, his taste in clothes (Dog hat/Striped Pyjama combo FTW! :D), his taste in everything else, his awkward relationship with Faye, his moodiness, his Mr Bean-like endearence.

Luke A' best bits:
    Confronting obnoxious Becky, Insulting her BMI behind her back/Crying when confronted on insulting her BMI behind her back, Crying in general about the need to be liked, friendship with Adam..

In conclusion: 2 introverted winners, 1 with any real depth. The desperate was cheered, the quirky was severely booed. Only 1 remains memorable.

I prefer Aaron of the two. At least he was a big character in his BB, albeit imo BB12 had the weakest HM lineup in BBUK history.

For me, LukeA was nice, but dull. But at least give him credit for winning against a tougher line-up. BB13 was brutal.:eek:
  • SCOUSE-DUDESCOUSE-DUDE Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, yeah, you're a fan of Aaron's and not Luke A's. we get it.

Personally, I thought they were both shite winners. This is what it's come to these days, act out some contrived 'poppet' persona or plead acceptance and you're there. It says a lot about the dire quality of the HMs in the past two series that they won.

Nail. On. Head.
  • Rose_in_FranceRose_in_France Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaron was incredibly interesting to watch as time went on. One of BB's best housemates ever.

I liked Luke "Acceptance" at first, but later the crude and sexist remarks grated, and the constant whines for acceptance were a bit unnecessary as he had already been accepted outside and inside the house. I have heard of trans people whose entire family/friends/work colleagues cut them off, so Luke is a lucky guy really.
  • Liam_MainLiam_Main Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaron most definitely. Luke A's down there with Cameron for dull winners.

People talk about Julian not doing anything for 3 weeks and winning BB but then you have Luke A who didn't anything for what, 10 weeks? Oh, apologies least I forget his diary room cry's .
  • curnowcurnow Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liam_Main wrote: »
    Aaron most definitely. Luke A's down there with Cameron for dull winners.

People talk about Julian not doing anything for 3 weeks and winning BB but then you have Luke A who didn't anything for what, 10 weeks? Oh, apologies least I forget his diary room cry's .

got to agree about Luke A , would prefer Adam or Deana to have won & is pretty dull winner

Julian did not like much before going into the house but thought he was good housemate in there & very funny at times

as for Aaron , think he was a good winner just not sure of his game plan of having sulk every week or so
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    TeekyPie wrote: »
    I thought it was close between him and adam?

Yeah BOTS revealed the percents and I think Luke A got about 5-10% more than Adam.

It's Aaron that is rumoured to have won with a massive percent, but we can only speculate on that since Ch5 are such tight-arses in not revealing the statistics.
  • Kopite1763Kopite1763 Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    In terms of who was a better HM between Aaron and Luke A, Aaron wins by a country mile :D

In terms of who did I like best, again, Aaron is my winner :D

My three favourite BB contestants, are Anna, Alex (Sibley) and Aaron.

Hmmm notice a theme there lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexBB3 wrote: »
    I prefer Aaron of the two. At least he was a big character in his BB, albeit imo BB12 had the weakest HM lineup in BBUK history.

For me, LukeA was nice, but dull. But at least give him credit for winning against a tougher line-up. BB13 was brutal.:eek:

yes, BB13 was a far harsher house. I can't imagine how Aaron would have coped in a house with people like Caroline and Conor in it. I doubt whether he would have ended up quite good friends with them, as he did with Jay (until after the final of course). I always thought the reason BB twisted the last couple of weeks of BB12 to the nth degree was that it was in danger of turning into a bland, tepid happy-house with everyone getting on pretty well with everyone else.

I never found Luke A dull, not for a single day, but that is another story, and concerns why we watch BB at all.
  • pagingmrhermanpagingmrherman Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex should have won not Aaron. Still stand by that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought it was an outstandingly weak final line-up. Louise and Tom seemed to have no fanbase at all; Jay did, but was as much disliked as liked; Alex seemed rather limited and dull throughout to me and never, ever interested in any conversation that didn't concern her.

Compare that with, say BB9 (which I have always thought had the strongest final line-up of all): Rex, Darnell and Sara all had huge fan groups supporting them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, BB13 was a far harsher house. I can't imagine how Aaron would have coped in a house with people like Caroline and Conor in it. I doubt whether he would have ended up quite good friends with them, as he did with Jay (until after the final of course).

Were are you getting that Aaron and Jay ended up "quite good friends". Even when they were getting on I don't think you could describe them as good friends especialy from Jay's end as he always bitched and plotted against him with both to his fellow HMs and the audience via the DR and dripped poison in Faye's ear about him right up 'til the end. Hardly the actions of a real friend,

The only place this comes from is Jay's BOTS interview which he claimed he and Aaron were "best mates" which even his biggest boosters would concede is a load of bunk on his part.

Also Jay has issues with all his fellow HMs bar Anton. The way he and Louise speak it's as if they never liked any of them.

She had a spray tan and acted thick. Even amognst Hms of her kind like Belo and Reade she was pretty poor.
  • lynzeelynzee Posts: 8,193
    Forum Member
    Aaron was not gay (and 'tranny' is extremely rude), which is totally irrelevant. I thought he was a good housemate in a series with almost no good housemates. He was bright, funny, articulate, knew BB inside out. I never really warmed to him - he was a bit of a cold-eyed player imo. There were a couple of incidents where he came over really badly.

Luke was also a good housemate - also bright, articulate and thoughtful, but much nicer. He would not, for example, have given seven different explanations for a decision that might have made him look bad in a rattled attempt to find one that would play well as Aaron did. He would not have made (and indeed, didn't make) a deal to split any possible winnings, then break it. He won honestly and straightforwardly by making a lot of people like him very much, and it is beyond tiresome that bitter bad losers can't let go of the fact that he had a 'back story'.

I did not find Luke A much nicer, in fact he could be extremely nasty as was evident by his comment re Becky's BMI. He came across as being a lot more duplicitous than Aaron pretending to sort out his problems with various HMs and then still being extremely nasty about them behind their back.

I would not presume to know, as you have, what he would or would not have done in certain circumstances. He won, as did Aaron, by playing a very good and clever game and using whatever means he could to get the public to vote for him.
  • TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member

Aarons best bits:

Luke A' best bits:

Terrible winners both we're tedious fake & full of Bullshit..Both played Victims & got away with it...It just shows what you should do to win BB...Absoloutly nothing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible winners both we're tedious fake & full of Bullshit..Both played Victims & got away with it...It just shows what you should do to win BB...Absoloutly nothing!

Oh the irony of you posting this.
  • tigerlily96tigerlily96 Posts: 3,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I prefer Aaron, as he was the more interesting and challenging character.
    Whereas I suppose I felt obliged to like Luke A, and he was usually my 2nd or 3rd favourite behind certain others.

This!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never found Luke A dull, not for a single day, but that is another story, and concerns why we watch BB at all.

Interesting. I loved Rachel Rice as winner of BB9, even though I would also describe her as 'nice, but dull'. In the right house, those qualities can shine through like a beacon. In Rachel's case, what I most admired was the strength of character to stand out from the crowd and not compromise her personality for advantage in the game. With LukeA though, I didn't see that so much ..... but then again we see so little in BB these days! :(
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I think of Luke A winning BB, I am fine with that, even though he wasn't my fav. When I think of Aaron, I still don't agree with why he was so loved and don't feel any good feelings about him. To me that BB was the worse, too many showmances and for me, no one who I thought deserved to win.

Luke A's BB, to me was pretty dire too. But the fact I actually still didn't mind a few HM's at the end was quite nice after the previous BB where in the end I was supporting Alex (although I didn't vote) just because she annoyed me less than Aaron and Jay!

So I don't agree OP. I'd much rather see winners like Luke over winners like Aaron. I didn't agree that Aaron got the boos, may not have liked the man, but the public chose him to win, so that was that and although I could see why people didn't like him, no winner should get boos.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    . I didn't agree that Aaron got the boos, may not have liked the man, but the public chose him to win, so that was that and although I could see why people didn't like him, no winner should get boos.

I do agree with that. What a horrible final night it was, and how lovely this year to see the crowd cheering the winner and runners up.

I do think BB were rather victims of their own policy last year. They went all out for romances, making sure that every housemate was under 30, single (except Harry) and good looking. They ended up with three couples, realized how deadly dull that was likely to be, and threw in silly stunts like the birthday presents to try and stir things up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farscape wrote: »
    Were are you getting that Aaron and Jay ended up "quite good friends". or.
    Because they were. There was never any chance they would be close after BB even without the money thing, but they spent quite a lot of time together as far as we can tell without live feed. When Aaron said he wanted to leave, it was jay who talked him out of it. They enjoyed sitting in the sauna together. The scene where they agreed to split the prize money shows two people very much relaxed and at ease with each other. When Aaron was announced as the winner, Jay warmly congratulated him. If it had not been for the birthday money row, almost the whole of the second half of the series would have passed without Jay and Aaron falling out at all.
    lynzee wrote: »
    I did not find Luke A much nicer, in fact he could be extremely nasty as was evident by his comment re Becky's BMI. .

Oh not that again. It was a tiny, muttered comment, meant for no one to hear, when he was feeling very exasperated. Becky came over appallingly trying to make such a massive fuss about it when she had boasted so many times about being proud of her weight.
  • Noisy OysterNoisy Oyster Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they were. There was never any chance they would be close after BB even without the money thing, but they spent quite a lot of time together as far as we can tell without live feed. When Aaron said he wanted to leave, it was jay who talked him out of it. They enjoyed sitting in the sauna together. The scene where they agreed to split the prize money shows two people very much relaxed and at ease with each other. When Aaron was announced as the winner, Jay warmly congratulated him. If it had not been for the birthday money row, almost the whole of the second half of the series would have passed without Jay and Aaron falling out at all.

Oh not that again. It was a tiny, muttered comment, meant for no one to hear, when he was feeling very exasperated. Becky came over appallingly trying to make such a massive fuss about it when she had boasted so many times about being proud of her weight.

First paragraph - I tend to agree. To me, Jay and Aaron did get on reasonably well at the end, in the way that you would tolerate a work colleague who you didn't have a lot in common with but appreciated what they had to offer. I am also not surprised that they have not stayed reasonably good friends because they are so different and move in different circles.
  • CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was very close between him and Adam.:)