Options

The Big Bang Theory Season 6 (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

Comments

• Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Looks like the Gooch has left Ted and could be a potential long term girlfriend for Raj. It would be odd if they used a well-known actress like her just for that final scene.

Not really, her partner Ricki Lindholme only ever appeared in one episode.

And unfortunately it wasn't the 'final' scene as the one which followed it was completely superfluous.

Oddly, IMDb claims that 'Lucy' was also in last week's episode! Well I don't remember seeing her and I've just skipped thorugh it again and still can't find her anywhere?
  • Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't enjoy this weeks ep, It felt very labored. Imo it was the weakest episode for a good while.
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Multi episode arc for Kate Micucci apparently,http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/big-bang-theory-raising-hope-416864

I know it was a valentines episode, but the focus of the show is now seems to be 'couples' instead of 'some geeks and the girl next door', I think I prefer the latter.
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an okay episode, no huge laughs, not facepalm moments either! It struck me as a filler episode.

Not happy that Raj has been all but been binned off as a character, he really is (unfairly) a spare wheel to the 3 couples. Shame really...

I don't know whether I watch now out of habit or enjoyment. I still place it above many things on TV but imo it's defo lost the geeky science comedy attraction it once had. it's now Friends with the odd science joke thrown in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    It was an okay episode, no huge laughs, not facepalm moments either! It struck me as a filler episode.

Not happy that Raj has been all but been binned off as a character, he really is (unfairly) a spare wheel to the 3 couples. Shame really...

I don't know whether I watch now out of habit or enjoyment. I still place it above many things on TV but imo it's defo lost the geeky science comedy attraction it once had. it's now Friends with the odd science joke thrown in.

I think Raj and the new love interest might be in for a while
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_Burts wrote: »
    I think Raj and the new love interest might be in for a while

I read she's been cast for 3-4 episodes....

I don't want them all being coupled up though :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I found this comment depressing because it sums up my feelings too. I have not watched for a couple of weeks because I was maxxed out of TBBT and thought it was just me, but this tells me it is not.

The show has really jumped the shark and I fear it is now the beginning of a slow death until either the ratings fall or cast members get restless and ask to leave.

Or ... hopefully it's just a blip and it can get back next season to the quality of the first two series. I doubt it, but you never know.
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I found this comment depressing because it sums up my feelings too. I have not watched for a couple of weeks because I was maxxed out of TBBT and thought it was just me, but this tells me it is not.

The show has really jumped the shark and I fear it is now the beginning of a slow death until either the ratings fall or cast members get restless and ask to leave.

Or ... hopefully it's just a blip and it can get back next season to the quality of the first two series. I doubt it, but you never know.

Alternatively, the audiences are happy given the trend of ratings increases and the cast are quite happy to stay on in one of America's currently most successful sitcoms. Unfortunately, I don't think that the opinion of a minority online actually means that there is any form of 'slow death' occurring. It's just you and whoever else shares your view that is unhappy with it.

For what it's worth, I say all the above while sharing the view that it isn't as strong as it used to be and that the show works best in the 'four guys and Penny' format. I do think that Bernadette could have fit on her own, but sadly Amy is just too polarising. I'm not generally a fan, although she's nowhere near as bad now as she was during Season 4. They've changed the character from obnoxious straight-laced brainiac to a silly geek. While she's not as bad now, she's still not good for the show in my opinion. In fact, I feel the show has benefited from having good characters who just occasionally pop in (Barry, Wil Wheaton, Stuart, Dr Gabelhauser/President Siebert) and aren't saturated. Amy would have fit better in this role.

Whatever the case, I suspect the show will hit ten seasons at least.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    Alternatively, the audiences are happy given the trend of ratings increases and the cast are quite happy to stay on in one of America's currently most successful sitcoms. Unfortunately, I don't think that the opinion of a minority online actually means that there is any form of 'slow death' occurring. It's just you and whoever else shares your view that is unhappy with it.

For what it's worth, I say all the above while sharing the view that it isn't as strong as it used to be and that the show works best in the 'four guys and Penny' format. I do think that Bernadette could have fit on her own, but sadly Amy is just too polarising. I'm not generally a fan, although she's nowhere near as bad now as she was during Season 4. They've changed the character from obnoxious straight-laced brainiac to a silly geek. While she's not as bad now, she's still not good for the show in my opinion. In fact, I feel the show has benefited from having good characters who just occasionally pop in (Barry, Wil Wheaton, Stuart, Dr Gabelhauser/President Siebert) and aren't saturated. Amy would have fit better in this role.

Whatever the case, I suspect the show will hit ten seasons at least.

I'm sure it will. They are transparently trying to equal Friends for longevity.

As an alternative to your alternative: I think the original audience has moved on and been replaced by a new (bigger) audience, possibly less discerning that likes it because it's like Friends used to be.

I mean - it's got a big audience and that shouldn't matter one jot. It's just not for me anymore. Possibly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As an alternative to your alternative: I think the original audience has moved on and been replaced by a new (bigger) audience, possibly less discerning that likes it because it's like Friends used to be.

I didn't watch/didn't particularly like Friends.

On the other hand I've watched every episode of TBBT and enjoy it as much now as I did the first.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up on last week's episodes and I'm glad there's been movement in a couple of areas.

Penny's acting has been largely ignored but this season we've seen her doing it 2-3 times, it wouldn't surprise me if they had her get a big break soon and wind up on a TV show (maybe a science fiction one :D).

And it was a good idea to pair Raj up with someone else who has social phobia issues, I liked the actress playing her. Hopefully they can move him from the can't talk to women stuff which hasn't really been funny since the pilot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Penny's acting has been largely ignored but this season we've seen her doing it 2-3 times, it wouldn't surprise me if they had her get a big break soon and wind up on a TV show (maybe a science fiction one :D).

I loved her brief impersonation of 'Tinker Bell' in The Spoiler Alert Segmentation:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/thebigbangtheorys06e157.jpg/

She was pretty good in "Killer Movie" as well. It was hilarious seeing our 'Penny' swear like a trooper.:D
  • Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any rhyme or reason as to when they broadcast The Big Bang Theory? I can understand missing an episode at thanksgiving or over Christmas but they seem to randomly miss episodes here, there and everywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loracan wrote: »
    Is there any rhyme or reason as to when they broadcast The Big Bang Theory? I can understand missing an episode at thanksgiving or over Christmas but they seem to randomly miss episodes here, there and everywhere.

Basically there's only 24 episodes which have to spread over 30-40 weeks and they prefer to put them on at the peak times known as "sweeps" when the audience figures will be higher.

So for the show to last until May they have to miss the odd week.

I'd much prefer them to have a long break and then show them in succession. It irritates me this 2 on, 5 off, 1 on, 3 off random airing.
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it will. They are transparently trying to equal Friends for longevity.

I mean - it's got a big audience and that shouldn't matter one jot. It's just not for me anymore. Possibly.

I don't understand your meaning? What do you infer when you say they are "transparently trying to equal Friends for longevity"? Surely any sitcom would have the ambition of reaching ten seasons or beyond?

While it's entirely possible that some of the audience have moved on, I'd imagine that a significant percentage of that audience has stayed and simply been added to. It seems more likely than suggesting the entire original audience has stopped watching, purely because of your views on the show?

Indeed, I'd suggest that your final paragraph there suggests your reasoning. It's a double edged sword really, would the show have survived this long on the season 1/2 viewing figures? Obviously you would rather it had happened that way and the format had not been tweaked. I'd rather see it go on longer, even if there are certain elements that I find detract from it. It's still an entertaining show and has Penny/Alex to keep me happy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are transparently trying to equal Friends for longevity.

To be honest they don't have to try to get it there, the show is doing it by itself.

Every new episode keeps breaking the record for highest viewing figures ever for the show.

Which is absolutely fantastic for a show in its sixth season, and of course any show that does that is going to get itself renewal after renewal.

Of course audience figures don't automatically mean top quality but unfortunately it's these numbers that matter to the producers. Money, money, money.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    Multi episode arc for Kate Micucci apparently,http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/big-bang-theory-raising-hope-416864

I know it was a valentines episode, but the focus of the show is now seems to be 'couples' instead of 'some geeks and the girl next door', I think I prefer the latter.

Garfunkel and Oates are big amongst geeks so her appearing on the show could almost be seen as them returning to their roots :p

Who doesn't want to see poor Raj settle down anyway? :confused::(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    To be honest they don't have to try to get it there, the show is doing it by itself.

Every new episode keeps breaking the record for highest viewing figures ever for the show.

Which is absolutely fantastic for a show in its sixth season, and of course any show that does that is going to get itself renewal after renewal.

Of course audience figures don't automatically mean top quality but unfortunately it's these numbers that matter to the producers. Money, money, money.

I agree on this, I don't think the original audience have moved on enmasse, just that they've been added to by a much wider demographic. The tone of the show has definitely gone more mainstream with the rise in ratings, that's a by product though of appealing to lowest denominator, you trap everyone in that way.

I thought the latest episode was okay as a filler week. It's not like Raj and social issues haven't been touched on before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The tone of the show has definitely gone more mainstream with the rise in ratings, that's a by product though of appealing to lowest denominator, you trap everyone in that way.

I doubt very much the scriptwriters have ever targeted any particular audience. They write what they hope will be found funny by as many people as possible and it's hit & miss whether they succeed or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    I doubt very much the scriptwriters have ever targeted any particular audience. They write what they hope will be found funny by as many people as possible and it's hit & miss whether they succeed or not.

With all due respect you're inadvertently agreeing..

BIB is called a targetted demographic. If they just wrote straight forward science jokes (which have declined in frequency and complexity since the first few series) not many people would get them, hence they've been dumbed down, that's called targetting your audience. The 'science' element of the show now has been watered down. There are science 'buzz words' thrown in and long sentences spoken to keep up the character persona, quite a few fans have spotted this and it's been commented on numerous times.

I'm pretty confident if you were to look at the character progression vs ratings, you'd see the ratings increase dramtically with the inclusion of Bernadette and Amy into the programme. The addition of the girls making it 3 couples has changed the dynamic of the show. A lot of people have been attracted by this new dynamic and the scriptwriters have catered for this.
  • Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this weeks episode was rather weak, I don't think I laughed once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This isn't a criticism of the show I'd just like to know why all the girls wanted to be Cinderella?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moboloco wrote: »
    I thought this weeks episode was rather weak, I don't think I laughed once.

I only laughed at the bit where Sheldon said he would search on the internet to find out " How do I get 12 year old girls exicted" :D
  • Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it - I don't want to see much more of the texting though.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Having got into the show late on I got the box set and watched series 1-5. I loved it when it was just 4 geeks and their failures to get women and their obsession with sci fi and fantasy stuff. Now in season 6 it does seem it's gone a bit too far down the couples thing. It's still funny but the funniest bits are still between Sheldon and Leonard.

When I first started to watch TBBT I thought that the relationship between Sheldon and Leonard was rather like that from the Odd Couple which was a US film and TV show from years back.