Enjoyed The 100, Fringe, GOT..

Jules_ThornleyJules_Thornley Posts: 2,997
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Continuum, Persons of Interest, Lost, Battle Star Galactia..

Watched some of Warehouse 13, got bored of Under The Dome (if that was what it was called?), seen Heros and 2 series of Falling Skies.

What else is there I haven't watched that is worth watching based on those I've enjoyed?

If anyone can help! Trawling through Netflix and not sure..
Thank you!

Comments

• metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vikings - I liked it from the start, grew to love it and now it's up there as one of if not the best thing that's ever been on tv.

12 Monkeys - is very promising, the first six episodes have been very good.

The Leftovers - Not to everyones taste, some people found it slow, but I thought it was excellent.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I don't know what's on Netflix but A Town Called Eureka is in the same Universe as Warehouse 13.

Haven and Defiance might be in the same sort of ballpark as some of the ones you've mentioned.

Of course there a load of other types of genre show. I like the superhero ones (Flash, Arrow, Agents of Shield) and the some of the Vampire ones (Tru Blood, Vampire Diaries, The Originals). Although I went off Tru Blood a few series back.

I love Grimm and Lost Girl.

Non genre ones I like include Bones and Elementary.

I could list loads, to be honest. Better stop there :D
  • Jules_ThornleyJules_Thornley Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for the above. That's been super helpful. I tend to look at things on offer re on demand and never make a decision!

Cheers appreciate it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have heard good things about 12 monkeys..
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To name a few really good shows in the vein of sci-fi, fantasy and horror
    Most are not on Netflix though.

Grimm, Sleepy Hollow, The 4400, Firefly, Farscape, Helix, Babylon 5, Defiance (tv series), Arrow, The Flash, The Walking Dead, Eureka, Quantum Leap, Orphan Black
  • LMLM Posts: 63,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from GOT and Fringe, today's science fiction/fantasy is simply dreadful

It's all serialized nonsense with suffocating story arcs and one dimensional characters. I don't want to submit you to the crap that the genre has become today

I will happily give you a heads up to some past shows if you don't mind
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're looking for mystery shows predominantly. So I'm suggesting: Happy Town, Deception, Haven, The Bridge, the 4400.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from GOT and Fringe, today's science fiction/fantasy is simply dreadful

It's all serialized nonsense with suffocating story arcs and one dimensional characters. I don't want to submit you to the crap that the genre has become today

I will happily give you a heads up to some past shows if you don't mind

Fire away! I've done firefly.. But listening and will be appreciated!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I think you're looking for mystery shows predominantly. So I'm suggesting: Happy Town, Deception, Haven, The Bridge, the 4400.

Thank you! Going to pick something from all the suggestions tonight and give it a go. Much appreciated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fire away! I've done firefly.. But listening and will be appreciated!

Your welcome

These are mix of different sci-fi and fantasy shows. May not be what your actively looking for, but worth a try. My list may seem large so I apologise if I feel like I am swamping you. Some of these are on Netflix. Some of which are shown on television. While others, you have to download elsewhere. They all offer something different. Some are space based, some are about demons, vampires, aliens, greek gods, ghosts, haunted antiques, mind swapping, visions of the future, etc etc etc

Stargate SG1 (10 seasons, 2 movies)
    Stargate Atlantis (5 seasons)
    Andromeda (5 seasons
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (7 seasons)
    Star Trek: Voyager (7 seasons)
    Babylon 5 (5 seasons)
    Buffy the vampire slayer (7 seasons)
    Angel (5 seasons)
    Dollhouse (2 seasons)
    The X Files (9 seasons, 2 movies)
    The Dead Zone (6 seasons)
    Friday The 13th: The Series (3 seasons)
    Dark Angel (2 seasons)
    Dead Like Me (2 seasons)
    Pushing Daisies (2 seasons)
    Sanctuary (4 seasons)
    Xena: Warrior Princess (6 seasons)
    Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (6 seasons)
    Ghost Whisperer (5 seasons)
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For recent on air shows I'd also suggest Grimm. Past shows if you haven't already, Buffy and Angel.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helix had an ok first season but the second season has been very good, its Netflix status i dont know. The Last Ship ended very well, only one season so far but its watchable.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    Helix had an ok first season but the second season has been very good, its Netflix status i dont know. The Last Ship ended very well, only one season so far but its watchable.

I believe season 1 of Helix is available on Netflix usa
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Orphan Black (I believe Series 3 is out in June?)
    Black Sails (Series 2 is airing at the moment)
    Spartacus (a finished show now, but with four very brilliant series)
    Walking Dead (ongoing series)
    The Originals (ongoing series)
    Arrow (ongoing series)
    Flash (ongoing series)
    Agents of Shield (ongoing series)
    The Messengers (upcoming series)
    Breaking Bad (finished series, suppose to be real good, I'm part way through series 2 (out of 5))
    You've missed out Stargate Universe ... intentional?
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your welcome

These are mix of different sci-fi and fantasy shows. May not be what your actively looking for, but worth a try. My list may seem large so I apologise if I feel like I am swamping you. Some of these are on Netflix. Some of which are shown on television. While others, you have to download elsewhere. They all offer something different. Some are space based, some are about demons, vampires, aliens, greek gods, ghosts, haunted antiques, mind swapping, visions of the future, etc etc etc

Andromeda (5 seasons
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (7 seasons)
    Star Trek: Voyager (7 seasons)
    Babylon 5 (5 seasons)
    Buffy the vampire slayer (7 seasons)
    Angel (5 seasons)
    Dollhouse (2 seasons)
    The X Files (9 seasons, 2 movies)
    The Dead Zone (6 seasons)
    Friday The 13th: The Series (3 seasons)
    Dark Angel (2 seasons)
    Dead Like Me (2 seasons)
    Pushing Daisies (2 seasons)
    Sanctuary (4 seasons)
    Xena: Warrior Princess (6 seasons)
    Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (6 seasons)
    Ghost Whisperer (5 seasons)

Six more series I enjoyed are:-
    Dark Skies (1 season)
    Medium (7 seasons)
    Poltergeist: The Legacy (4 seasons)
    La Femme Nikita (5 seasons)
    Alias (5 seasons)
    Dexter (8 seasons)
    I think most of them are on Shiny Disc, PTL & Nikita being the exceptions. No idea about Catch-Up/ Download services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    Six more series I enjoyed are:-
    Dark Skies (1 season)
    Medium (7 seasons)
    Poltergeist: The Legacy (4 seasons)
    La Femme Nikita (5 seasons)
    Alias (5 seasons)
    Dexter (8 seasons)
    I think most of them are on Shiny Disc, PTL & Nikita being the exceptions. No idea about Catch-Up/ Download services.

Ahh yes Poltergeist. An underrated gem there. and Medium too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »

You've missed out Stargate Universe ... intentional?

Very much so
    Forum Member
    Very much so

And presumably Enterprise ? :D

At rough count I think I've seen 50 out of the 63 series mentioned on this thread. Is that sad? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    And presumably Enterprise ? :D

At rough count I think I've seen 50 out of the 63 series mentioned on this thread. Is that sad? :D

Less said about enterprise, the better

and if you want to be equalled for being sad, I have seen every single one of these shows mentioned. I am a sci-fi/fantasy junkie
    Forum Member
    Very much so
    I'll admit, the first season wasn't up to any sort of respectable standard (which probably contributed in large to it's cancellation) but I personally thought season 2 was a huge step in the right direction. It all started happening there...
    And presumably Enterprise ?
    Less said about enterprise, the better
    :o I actually really enjoyed ST:Enterprise. I wasn't concerned about the new elements (changing history etc) as some hardcore fans were. I thought the show was dark, gritty and exactly what a science fiction space opera should have been. The future in ST:Enterprise is more likely what's in store for our future than the future seen in any of the other series.
    At rough count I think I've seen 50 out of the 63 series mentioned on this thread. Is that sad?
    I would think it makes you enlightened. ;-)

I always look at it this way; it takes a certain type of person to watch, and appreciate science fiction. This may be a bias opinion, but some people just aren't mentally prepared for it, they can't understand it because they have a very simple thought process. It's the people that do watch, follow and (to some degree) understand it that have the more open minds.
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I always look at it this way; it takes a certain type of person to watch, and appreciate science fiction. This may be a bias opinion, but some people just aren't mentally prepared for it, they can't understand it because they have a very simple thought process. It's the people that do watch, follow and (to some degree) understand it that have the more open minds.

Just as well we're on a sci-fi forum, that sort of talk would start a flame war :o:D

You're probably right about the open-minded pre-requisite but I don't think it's fair to say that people who don't appreciate sci-fi are simple-minded or mentally unprepared!

I think that what you really need for these things is imagination and the ability to suspend disbelief but I don't think it's necessarily a lack of understanding :cool:
    Forum Member
    Just as well we're on a sci-fi forum, that sort of talk would start a flame war
    Hah, aye, probably..
    You're probably right about the open-minded pre-requisite but I don't think it's fair to say that people who don't appreciate sci-fi are simple-minded or mentally unprepared!
    I didn't mean that people who don't watch sci-fi are simple, what I meant is that maybe they'd rather watch something simple - something that doesn't require a whole lot of thinking out the box.

You can get shows like Breaking Bad, Orphan Black and/or the Last Ship (or even CSI - not that I watch it) but all those shows are more political/conspiracy themed, yet still get the brain thinking with all the twists and turns within.

Science Fiction shows (and to a degree, some fantasy shows like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones etc) require that little bit more from the viewer. They're not based on anything that could be, it's all created from imagination, and some people just aren't wired to open their minds to that.

By comparison, it's like someone (who isn't religious) who believes that life on other planets can't be out there else we'd know about it or some nonsense; these people who can't grasp or understand just how big and complex the universe actually is. All they're concerned about is their own little lives on this one little planet, and I wouldn't think it too often (if ever) that they look up into the night sky and wonder what's out there (etc)
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised that nobody on here has mentioned The Leftovers...
    Its got a good chance of falling into a Lost type situation but worth a watch..
    Also if you fancy some British attempts at sifi fantasy then there is always survivors, the deep or even penny dreadful.
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think when you do look for shows OP, check they weren't axed! The 4400, V and many others end without a proper ending, as the show assumed they'd be back and they weren't!
    If you're ok with that fine, but just in case thought I'd mention that!
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching 'Almost Human' from the showrunner of the latter seasons of Fringe and really enjoyed it eventhough I know it was only given a single season. A definitely positive suggestion for the OP assuming the cancellation aspect isn't an issue. Also watch it in the correct order and not the broadcast order!