Why is travelling becoming less and less pleasant.....

Comments

• BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I've just flown to LA on a mid morning flight. Within 20 mins of take off every single bloody window blind had been closed!!! It was like a night flight :(

Even the stewardess commented on why people would chose to sit in darkness for 11 hours. Fair enough some people want to sleep but use a sleep mask - don't steal my daylight!!!!

I fly quite often and always pick a window seat and unless the sun is blindingly bright and shining right in my face the whole time (like it was yesterday on my way back from Zurich) I won't shut the window shade at all.

I flew from Dubai to Beijing during the summer and took off from Dubai at about 4am. The sun rose quite quickly as we were travelling East, so the stewardess made us all keep the blinds closed so people could sleep (didn't see too many people sleeping anyway). This annoyed me as I had a chosen a window so I could look out and see the places we were flying over as most of the route was totally cloudless! No chance was I missing seeing the Himalayas and China from the air. I opened it slightly and got told off, but it was silly as no one in my row was asleep and the light didn't even spread that far! The airline in question even gave out sleeping masks!
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in Jersey where the traffic is nothing like mainland Britain. I loath flying now. For all the usual reasons, already stated. The worst airline is the Irish one beginning with R. I feel they are doing us, lower order of humans,such a begrudged and secretly expensive favour, I now do my best to avoid them at all costs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am lucky enough to be sent business class when flying for work. The lounge at the airport makes such a difference to the waiting time (especially a few years ago when they were telling you to arrive so many hours early because of the security checks) and long haul is so much kinder to the back on a flat bed seat (and the screen that separates you from adjoining passengers is a blessing when you are a woman travelling alone and get a cocky male passenger next to you).

So now, if I can afford it, I will pay the extra when I'm buying my ticket myself. I've been bumped up to First a couple of times and don't see the value for money there, but do for Business/Club class.
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was actually told off once by a Cathay stewardess for looking out of the window,when everyone else had their blinds down.It was daylight and I assume it was we were flying over Tibet,which is a sensitive area.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    You forgot to complain about how buses are slow, expensive, infrequent and populated by obnoxious teenagers with grouchy weirdos for drivers, so I've done it for you.

Every thirty minutes outside my house - 100 yds each way.
    Always prompt, clean and everyone greets the driver as they get on and thanks them as they get off and it's reciprocated.
  • lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Every thirty minutes outside my house - 100 yds each way.
    Always prompt, clean and everyone greets the driver as they get on and thanks them as they get off and it's reciprocated.
    9 times out of 10, I can only dream of that in the town I live in! :(
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »
    I was actually told off once by a Cathay stewardess for looking out of the window,when everyone else had their blinds down.It was daylight and I assume it was we were flying over Tibet,which is a sensitive area.

No -airlines request window blinds down to help passengers get some shuteye .Nothing to do with Tibet /; if it was - they simply wouldnt fly over .
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I've just flown to LA on a mid morning flight. Within 20 mins of take off every single bloody window blind had been closed!!! It was like a night flight :(

Even the stewardess commented on why people would chose to sit in darkness for 11 hours. Fair enough some people want to sleep but use a sleep mask - don't steal my daylight!!!!

For a similarish reason, I don't like bus travel.

You open a window, someone shuts it...and this is in the summer!

They all prefer to travel in warm, moist germ ridden air.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Perhaps the Dalai Lama had constructed a massive "F U China!" out of rocks that could only be read from the air?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a similarish reason, I don't like bus travel.

You open a window, someone shuts it...and this is in the summer!

They all prefer to travel in warm, moist germ ridden air.

Ewww, I know, I hate that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No -airlines request window blinds down to help passengers get some shuteye .Nothing to do with Tibet /; if it was - they simply wouldnt fly over .

This was not a request.She pulled the blind down herself in a very brusque manner,and appeared agitated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Perhaps the Dalai Lama had constructed a massive "F U China!" out of rocks that could only be read from the air?

It would be nice to think so kippeh.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a nightmare of a bus ride yesterday.
    Warning for long windness

Buses are supposed to be every 10 minutes on the route I was waiting on. It was 20 minutes late. Built up quite a crowd of people wanting on. I got on last as I only had a few stops (I couldn't bare the walk I was exhausted from working) and I had to stand up at the front. There were others standing up too even though there were a few seats right at the back. (again there was no point for me as I was only 5-10 minutes away by bus)

Sp bus was late we were quite packed. As the bus left the station I spotted another bus (same number) pull into the stop, which annoyed me no end as I debated to wait for a second one. Well OK fine. Nothing to be done. Bus gets out of the bus station and comes to the first stop outside. Lots more people wanting on too.

Me being the nice person I am called out to tell them another bus was just coming and was completely ignored as the people piled in anyway. I would have gotten off and waited for the other one but alas the new people shoved in and blocked the exit. Driver asked people to move back a bit. No-one really moved much and I ended up squeezing to one of the three seats right at the back because again I am a nice person and was the only one to actually move.
    Ridiculous really as only a few stops later I had to get off again. Had to squeeze back through the crowd just to get out.

Frankly it was the worst bus ride ever and it peed me so SO much at the ignorance and selfishness of people. Honestly I was tempted to slap some of them upside the head.
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was not a request.She pulled the blind down herself in a very brusque manner,and appeared agitated.

Well yes - could have been more pleasant about it
  • Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Frankly it was the worst bus ride ever and it peed me so SO much at the ignorance and selfishness of people. Honestly I was tempted to slap some of them upside the head.

It could be that much of the explanation why travel is less pleasant that it used to be can be laid at that particular door......
  • Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    Rockville wrote: »
    I am lucky enough to be sent business class when flying for work. The lounge at the airport makes such a difference to the waiting time (especially a few years ago when they were telling you to arrive so many hours early because of the security checks) and long haul is so much kinder to the back on a flat bed seat (and the screen that separates you from adjoining passengers is a blessing when you are a woman travelling alone and get a cocky male passenger next to you).

So now, if I can afford it, I will pay the extra when I'm buying my ticket myself. I've been bumped up to First a couple of times and don't see the value for money there, but do for Business/Club class.

Business class is far far more pleasant than Cattle class, particularly long haul, but flying still get`s bleedin` boring after a few hours whichever class you fly.
    Not that we`ll be going Business class any more now our fabulous child has turned up ! Not that I`m bothered (about no more BC), relatively speaking, it`s nothing......
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate travelling for all the reasons already mentioned. Most of all I object to paying to travel by train and then having to stand crushed together like sardines in a can. For this reason I do not travel by train anymore.

I also cannot cope with all the hanging around and long treks to the gate at airports, not to mention the queuing.

At the moment my pet hate is the gas company digging up the road for at least the third time this year. No doubt they will fill in their monstrous holes and leave the road in the bad state they always leave it in. This of course will be followed by all the other service companies who will in turn dig it all up again and cause delays and complete chaos.

Sigh........thank you, I feel a bit better now! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Business class is far far more pleasant than Cattle class, particularly long haul, but flying still get`s bleedin` boring after a few hours whichever class you fly.
    Not that we`ll be going Business class any more now our fabulous child has turned up ! Not that I`m bothered (about no more BC), relatively speaking, it`s nothing......

I can imagine thousands of BC passengers cheering when they read that :D
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I used to like travelling, as in the actual journey, but on every form of transport I can think of it`s getting less pleasant.
    Is it just me ?

Trains

They`re getting more crowded, and if you do get a seat the legroom is undoubtedly less. For a long legged 6 footer like me that is important. The windows are getting smaller, the window pillars wider and the seat backs higher, which all adds up to a claustrophobic feel. They`re taking buffets out of more and more trains. Last, but by no means least, it`s getting to the point where you can`t sit anywhere on a train without hearing the annoying "tch tch tch" overspill from a fellow passenger`s over loud "personal" stereo.

Small windows are an additional safety feature (e.g. in Pendolino's), which are built like tanks. See Grayrigg for how well a Pendolino can cope with a high speed crash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayrigg_derailment
    wikipedia wrote:
    Sir Richard Branson also paid tribute to the Pendolino train, comparing it to a 'tank'. He also added "If the train had been old stock then the number of injuries and the mortalities would have been horrendous".[11] Several sources also gave their praise due to the fact that the carriages generally stayed intact during the accident.

High seat backs are also a safety feature.

FGW trains (mark III carriages) on the London to Bristol/Cardiff/Swansea/Plymouth/Penzance routes have been refurbished to such a high standard, the carriages look brand new inside.

I've never had a problem with legroom on a Pendolino or FGW airline seat, but yes getting under a tabled seat can be a bit awkward.

FGW have a quiet carriage on all their HST trains, where you can in general avoid mobile phone/PC/MP3 player noise etc.

If you want a guaranteed window view on most long distance trains, travel first class. Seats in first class are arranged so you always get a good window view, plus on long distance services, there are 3 seats across, rather than the usual 4.

As for overcrowding. It is a problem, but at least in the London area, where some of the most serious overcrowding occurs, some attempt is being made to relieve this. See the Crossrail Project and Thameslink Programme for more details.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boat/ship - is the only way I really enjoy traveling...

Planes - are and always have been a necessary evil but I hate everything about it from the moment I arrive at the airport to when I leave the other end. As for the food I'd pay a supplement not to have it! The only positive is that I don't mind the takeoff.

Trains - are quite pleasant to travel on off peak but I'm not sure I could abide commuting on a daily basis at peak times.

Car - I quite like driving especially on a long journey where I can take my time and stop off somewhere to eat on the way.
    but flying still get`s bleedin` boring after a few hours whichever class you fly.
    Exactly, I feel like an annoying child as I keep thinking, "for Christ sake, aren't we nearly there yet".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a pity that planes like Concorde or the Boeing SST were not developed further.We should have supersonic speeds now,at least on most long-hauls.I guess that's fifty or more years away yet.
    At least there's Crossrail to look foward to,I might just live long enough to see that.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Blofeld wrote: »
    I fly quite often and always pick a window seat and unless the sun is blindingly bright and shining right in my face the whole time (like it was yesterday on my way back from Zurich) I won't shut the window shade at all.

I flew from Dubai to Beijing during the summer and took off from Dubai at about 4am. The sun rose quite quickly as we were travelling East, so the stewardess made us all keep the blinds closed so people could sleep (didn't see too many people sleeping anyway). This annoyed me as I had a chosen a window so I could look out and see the places we were flying over as most of the route was totally cloudless! No chance was I missing seeing the Himalayas and China from the air. I opened it slightly and got told off, but it was silly as no one in my row was asleep and the light didn't even spread that far! The airline in question even gave out sleeping masks!

I was the same re wanting to see places. I kept popping the inflight map on and I'd see we were going over various places of interest like the Grand Canyon and Vegas and have to walk to the back of the plane where there were about 10 people huddled around the tiny emergency exit window trying to see them.

The return flights from USA are always night flights which I can live with but I always look forward to the flight going out because its sunny and bright. Gah!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy driving, but in the last 5 years, when driving to airports etc, you always think in the back of your mind "will I have a driving license when I return" there's just so much speed restrictions on our roads nowadays.

I agree totally.

My husband was done for speeding in 2008 at 6.15am by a static camera on a stretch of road next to factories that had a speed limit on it but there was no traffic about at the time. We didn't normally go that way to the airport, but the bit of road concerned had about 15 different speed limits on it in the space of 9 miles. He couldn't help thinking that he was going to have an accident trying to keep an eye on all the changes of speed limit.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate travelling anywhere particularly with 4 children in tow! Its an absolute nightmare!

The last time we went anywhere by train, some OTT little Hitler network rail employee came over and shouted at us that he would have us removed by police if we didn't control our children! What was the heinous crime I hear you ask? I kid you not, all my 7 year old was doing was hanging by her arms from one of those tubular bike racks of which there were 6 and all empty with no one within 40 feet of us (it was a long platform). I asked for his name and he threatened me again that if I want to cause trouble he has the power to remove me! I wont go by train with my kids again! Had the train not been delayed by and hour then we wouldn't have been there with bored kids! The youngest of the other three was asleep in his pushchair and the other oldest two were sat on the floor reading their comics! None of them were being disruptive!
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would yet more immigration help alleviate the problem? A couple of milllion more should do the trick. :rolleyes: