Options

New Pink Floyd

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was the point I was, ham-fistedly, trying to make, in the past tracks were left off for time constraint reasons so to publish them now very often isn't "scraping the bottom of the barrel" :)

In a recent interview Gilmore said Rick wasn't given the recognition he deserved by the media. However he then went on to say that, at times, was also true of Rick's fellow band members!

In this month's Prog magazine Jerry Ewing, the editor, describes The Endless River as "The wonderful, moving culmination of this all-time great rock band's career", so that seems a very positive endorsement!

You've mentioned Ricks sacking, which emphasises how he was viewed by his band mates at times, especially Roger at that time, although by then, he probably didn't treat the others as much more than session musicians either.

This album sounds an excellent tribute to Rick, and the Pink Floyd name attached to it will help it sell. It wont be like any other Floyd albums though.

Those calling for Roger to have been involved in this cant be aware of the history of the band or the music. This was nothing to do with him at the time, and he wouldn't want to be involved now, as he has said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm another one that thinks that this was a bit of a missed opportunity in as much as they maybe should have buried the hatchet and got Waters back on board for this album. That said, Gilmour probably thought that it wasn't worth the hassle.

There is no way Gilmour will work with Waters again in any proper, structured way. It would be like Blackmore working with Gillan again in Deep Purple.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    There is no way Gilmour will work with Waters again in any proper, structured way. It would be like Blackmore working with Gillan again in Deep Purple.

True, but Glimour did get together with Waters and played a few numbers during that last Waters Wall tour, so I thought that maybe they might have put past differences aside.

I think that the main problem with bands like Pink Floyd becoming so big is that they become financial juggernauts, so just leaving a band or rejoining a band becomes a big legal and monetary issue. It's a shame really, as from a fans point of view all we really want is to see them play together.

Anyway, I don't get the impression that they'll be touring with this, so it's by the by.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rick wasn't actually fired from the band, he resigned because roger made threats if he didn't leave

as for roger rejoining dave and nick, he's been an ex member of floyd for nearly 30 years, so nearly twice as long as he was in the band in the first place. whilst his solo albums weren't massive hits like the floyd albums, he's had a reasonably successful career since leaving the band and has proven he can put on very successful live tours of his own, without needing the other members. so it would be a bit like someone having a pretty decent job now but wanting to get back and work with a bunch of people you fell out with 30 years ago because you couldn't stand working with them

similarly dave has done okay for himself without roger. he's done okay touring solo and of course with the dave floyd. if he really wanted to, he could tour with the floyd name without roger and just make money from live shows, or make new music and call it pink floyd instead of releasing as a solo album. he's probably got a pile of other bits and bobs in the vaults they could keep on hashing out. but then if it was just all about the money, they could do more reissues of older material. theres plenty alternate versions of tracks and live shows they could put out, plus 5.1 mixes. there's all the early material such as radio sessions

likewise they could do special editions of some of the solo albums. the first gilmour album is really great, i'm not sure if there are any outtakes of unreleased mixes from it to expand it (although the cd version has a few slightly longer versions of the tracks), but there were the live shows for about face, plus the 12" promo of blue light that had the extended and instrumental version

for rogers, a pros and cons deluxe would be great with new 5.1 mix plus outtakes and alternate mixes. there's the slightly longer 12" mix of the title track with longer sax solo, and we know about the legendary demos that were recorded around the same time as the wall demos, so putting those on disc 2 would be great, although with the quality being a bit ropey i doubt roger would really want this and we'd get cut down versions like on the wall. of course there are the videos for the tour and shown on mtv so a dvd would be great. a live dvd/bluray of one of the live shows would be great, otherwise a live recording of the show would be nice. likewise with KAOS there's the extended opening track and a few b sides and outtakes, plus the videos, and a 5.1 mix would be great. likewise a live dvd would be fantastic. he's already doing a 5.1 mix of amused, so it's like taking the least best album first - if you ignore the body album or ca ira. he could also do something with the wind blows tracks that i suspect a lot of fans don't even know exist

the biggest problem with floyd is they all move at such a slow pace, it takes forever for anything to get released. the pulse dvd took forever and likewise the WYWH 5.1 mix and the wall movie bluray etc etc etc. they aren't young anymore, and are literally dying on us, so we may never get this stuff out. mind at the cost of the deluxe boxsets they did put out...
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    rick wasn't actually fired from the band, he resigned because roger made threats if he didn't leave

as for roger rejoining dave and nick, he's been an ex member of floyd for nearly 30 years, so nearly twice as long as he was in the band in the first place. whilst his solo albums weren't massive hits like the floyd albums, he's had a reasonably successful career since leaving the band and has proven he can put on very successful live tours of his own, without needing the other members. so it would be a bit like someone having a pretty decent job now but wanting to get back and work with a bunch of people you fell out with 30 years ago because you couldn't stand working with them

similarly dave has done okay for himself without roger. he's done okay touring solo and of course with the dave floyd. if he really wanted to, he could tour with the floyd name without roger and just make money from live shows, or make new music and call it pink floyd instead of releasing as a solo album. he's probably got a pile of other bits and bobs in the vaults they could keep on hashing out. but then if it was just all about the money, they could do more reissues of older material. theres plenty alternate versions of tracks and live shows they could put out, plus 5.1 mixes. there's all the early material such as radio sessions

likewise they could do special editions of some of the solo albums. the first gilmour album is really great, i'm not sure if there are any outtakes of unreleased mixes from it to expand it (although the cd version has a few slightly longer versions of the tracks), but there were the live shows for about face, plus the 12" promo of blue light that had the extended and instrumental version

for rogers, a pros and cons deluxe would be great with new 5.1 mix plus outtakes and alternate mixes. there's the slightly longer 12" mix of the title track with longer sax solo, and we know about the legendary demos that were recorded around the same time as the wall demos, so putting those on disc 2 would be great, although with the quality being a bit ropey i doubt roger would really want this and we'd get cut down versions like on the wall. of course there are the videos for the tour and shown on mtv so a dvd would be great. a live dvd/bluray of one of the live shows would be great, otherwise a live recording of the show would be nice. likewise with KAOS there's the extended opening track and a few b sides and outtakes, plus the videos, and a 5.1 mix would be great. likewise a live dvd would be fantastic. he's already doing a 5.1 mix of amused, so it's like taking the least best album first - if you ignore the body album or ca ira. he could also do something with the wind blows tracks that i suspect a lot of fans don't even know exist

the biggest problem with floyd is they all move at such a slow pace, it takes forever for anything to get released. the pulse dvd took forever and likewise the WYWH 5.1 mix and the wall movie bluray etc etc etc. they aren't young anymore, and are literally dying on us, so we may never get this stuff out. mind at the cost of the deluxe boxsets they did put out...

In regards to The body , The majority of the pieces are written by Geesin (about 75% of them) , the tracks actually written by Waters are pretty good. The album is a Gessin album in reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, but Glimour did get together with Waters and played a few numbers during that last Waters Wall tour, so I thought that maybe they might have put past differences aside.

I think that the main problem with bands like Pink Floyd becoming so big is that they become financial juggernauts, so just leaving a band or rejoining a band becomes a big legal and monetary issue. It's a shame really, as from a fans point of view all we really want is to see them play together.

Anyway, I don't get the impression that they'll be touring with this, so it's by the by.

I think that came about after David and Roger played a small venue for some kind of charity, and David persuaded Roger to sing "To Know Him is to Love Him" with him. Roger agreed on condition David played at one of The Wall shows.

The fact they managed those two things is quite remarkable considering the history, but David has made it very clear that there will be no more Pink Floyd, and that he couldn't work again with Roger other than in the way those last two events worked out, and even that would be a big thing.

They can both go out on tour, and play Pink Floyd songs, to massive audiences when ever they want, so there is no need for them to endure the pressure of Pink Floyd, and attempt to work together again.

The fact they are on reasonable friendly terms again is a great thing.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that came about after David and Roger played a small venue for some kind of charity, and David persuaded Roger to sing "To Know Him is to Love Him" with him. Roger agreed on condition David played at one of The Wall shows.

The fact they managed those two things is quite remarkable considering the history, but David has made it very clear that there will be no more Pink Floyd, and that he couldn't work again with Roger other than in the way those last two events worked out, and even that would be a big thing.

They can both go out on tour, and play Pink Floyd songs, to massive audiences when ever they want, so there is no need for them to endure the pressure of Pink Floyd, and attempt to work together again.

The fact they are on reasonable friendly terms again is a great thing.

In Nick Mason's book Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd he goes in to this in great detail. He says he never fell out with either Roger or David and he was determined to reconcile the two of them as the bitter recriminations were harmful to everyone not just the two of them. He said the reunion at Live 8 was very much down to him.

I don't think Roger and David will ever be "best mates" but it is good that they can now at least get along with each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Nick Mason's book Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd he goes in to this in great detail. He says he never fell out with either Roger or David and he was determined to reconcile the two of them as the bitter recriminations were harmful to everyone not just the two of them. He said the reunion at Live 8 was very much down to him.

I don't think Roger and David will ever be "best mates" but it is good that they can now at least get along with each other.

I've got that book, but it's a long time since I read it. Great book though.

Nick and Roger were the longest standing mates though weren't they. They were at college together, and Nick is a very amiable bloke.

The Live 8 reunion was remarkable, and did lead to a thawing which is a good thing, but I agree with you, they'll never be close again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Live 8 reunion was remarkable, and did lead to a thawing which is a good thing, but I agree with you, they'll never be close again.
    well .. The Great Gig In the Sky is drawing ever nearer ....
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I've got that book, but it's a long time since I read it. Great book though.

Nick and Roger were the longest standing mates though weren't they. They were at college together, and Nick is a very amiable bloke.

Apparently during the Live8 rehearsals Rog was falling into his old bad habits, according to Gilmour (I thought I'd read that in here somewhere). Same happened with the Deep Purple reunion - Blackmore and Gillan at loggerheads; and the Cream reunion - Baker and Bruce at each other's throats.

I'd love to be at a Blackmore-Waters-Baker concert. it would be short-lived, but entertaining while it lasted!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to be at a Blackmore-Waters-Baker concert. it would be short-lived, but entertaining while it lasted!
    Thing is it's not about the personalities but the personality clashes.
    Anyway, my money's on Baker in one round, despite his age. :D
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've mentioned Ricks sacking, which emphasises how he was viewed by his band mates at times, especially Roger at that time, although by then, he probably didn't treat the others as much more than session musicians either.

This album sounds an excellent tribute to Rick, and the Pink Floyd name attached to it will help it sell. It wont be like any other Floyd albums though.

Those calling for Roger to have been involved in this cant be aware of the history of the band or the music. This was nothing to do with him at the time, and he wouldn't want to be involved now, as he has said.

I think that is true remember that on one track of The Final Cut Nick Mason is not on the drums. As Roger thought he wasn't good enough, at the time David said "if you want a guitar player I will do it" but he was not allowed much input into the album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently during the Live8 rehearsals Rog was falling into his old bad habits, according to Gilmour (I thought I'd read that in here somewhere). Same happened with the Deep Purple reunion - Blackmore and Gillan at loggerheads; and the Cream reunion - Baker and Bruce at each other's throats.

Wow! That would be fun. :)

I suspect that when these egos get together again the things that drove them apart in the first place soon surface again.

I think Roger has hinted that he'd like to do something with Pink Floyd again at various times, but he would only want to do it on his terms, which means it wouldn't work.

Gilmour has long realised this, and his happy now to stroll along at his own pace, doing what he wants. He can sell out anywhere if he wants to play live, and he can perform Pink Floyd songs. Why would he want the hassle?
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Thing is it's not about the personalities but the personality clashes.
    Anyway, my money's on Baker in one round, despite his age. :D

Heh, yes, GB is just a total nutcase. He even attacked a film-maker who was doing a documentary about him. Oddly enough, in an interview Jack Bruce says of Baker, something along the lines of "he's an old friend and I love him dearly but we just can't work together". Odd sort of friendship!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh, yes, GB is just a total nutcase. He even attacked a film-maker who was doing a documentary about him. Oddly enough, in an interview Jack Bruce says of Baker, something along the lines of "he's an old friend and I love him dearly but we just can't work together". Odd sort of friendship!
    Someone I know was a good friend of Jack Bruce's for many years, starting from pre-Cream, and the stories he tells of Baker in the 60s/70s would make a book of legendary status :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new album is already the most pre ordered album of the year on Amazon, and 5th on their all time best pre ordered list, with a couple of weeks to go.

Just shows how huge the name still is.

http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=84366
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toen wrote: »
    The Final cut is accepted as a poor album. It was mainly down to Roger Waters. I like Roger Waters but this final album was not very good. He has just had an excellent tour with the wall (again), brilliant album. The division bell is another great floyd album. I bought the 20th anniversary box set. Lets face it fans like me will buy any "new" stuff by Floyd. I saw them live in 1969 and I rate them best British band ever.

Hmmm i love the anti war album "The Final Cut" i remember at the time EMI (Through the Harvest Label) had the jitters releasing it because of its highly political content.

The "Final Cut" was essentially a Roger Waters Pink Floyd album.Billed as a "Requiem for the post war dream".

And has a very anti war theme coming out as it did the year after the Flaklands War, it was dedicated to his Dad (Eric Fletcher Waters) who died in the second world war.

Its one of my favs, as is "The Wall"

It will be good to hear some new stuff they must have had a lot of unused material during the years, doubt they will tour though without Richard Wright.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By who ?

For me its one of the best , the whole story of it is brilliant.

Agreed.:)
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed.:)

I dont hear it being classed as a "poor" album by many :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new album is already the most pre ordered album of the year on Amazon, and 5th on their all time best pre ordered list, with a couple of weeks to go.

Just shows how huge the name still is.

http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=84366

Apparantly it is on course to be the most pre-ordered album in Amazon history. I get paid on Friday so I will be adding my name to the pre-order list then! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont hear it being classed as a "poor" album by many :D

When it was first released it certainly wasn't acclaimed as a masterpiece by the critics at the time because it was such a bleak album, especially as the much of the media were still in the grip of post-Falklands euphoria and this album was very much a counter-point against that.

Personally I think it is a great album and for me it contains some of Roger's most poignant, and personal, lyrics but then I prefer music on the bleaker side. Even today The Wall and Animals are still two of my most played albums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it was first released it certainly wasn't acclaimed as a masterpiece by the critics at the time because it was such a bleak album, especially as the much of the media were still in the grip of post-Falklands euphoria and this album was very much a counter-point against that.

Personally I think it is a great album and for me it contains some of Roger's most poignant, and personal, lyrics but then I prefer music on the bleaker side. Even today The Wall and Animals are still two of my most played albums.

I agree. I loved Animals and The Wall from the off, but I admit I found The Final Cut hard going, and gave up on it for some time.

When I gave it another go, it grew on me, and I realised what a great album it is. I think what was going on in the background, and realising this was really a Waters solo album added to the feeling of doom initially, but I love it now.

It is one to grow to love, rather than expecting to think it's a winner on first listen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really couldn't choose a favourite Floyd album, but would have to approach it from another angle -
    Not 'Piper' because much as I love Syd Barrett, it's not Floyd as we know it.
    Not Atom Heart Mother because it's too meandery without a strong structure (even though I saw the early performance at the Bath festival and the Hyde Park one with orchestra, which should make it more 'great because of memories')
    I play 'More' and 'Obscured by Clouds' more than anything else, then 'Dark Side', the live 'Umma Gumma' sides and 'Saucerful of Secrets' which was the fisrt LP I ever bought (together with cheap copies of 'Arnold Layne' and 'See Emily Play' and some Who singles)
    And the track I play most? 'Free Four' off 'Zabriskie Point' :D
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really couldn't choose a favourite Floyd album, but would have to approach it from another angle -
    Not 'Piper' because much as I love Syd Barrett, it's not Floyd as we know it.
    Not Atom Heart Mother because it's too meandery without a strong structure (even though I saw the early performance at the Bath festival and the Hyde Park one with orchestra, which should make it more 'great because of memories')
    I play 'More' and 'Obscured by Clouds' more than anything else, then 'Dark Side', the live 'Umma Gumma' sides and 'Saucerful of Secrets' which was the fisrt LP I ever bought (together with cheap copies of 'Arnold Layne' and 'See Emily Play' and some Who singles)
    And the track I play most? 'Free Four' off 'Zabriskie Point' :D

this is almost the opposite of the Floyd I like!

I think more is the worst studio album. of course it's a soundtrack to a movie so the music is specifically for it, same with zabriskie point, which wasn't officially released as a Floyd soundtrack album, but there were the original and expanded soundtracks with official releases and fan compilations attempting to recreate it as an album. free four is okay and the guitar track from more with Gilmour signing (can't remember the name). I think obscured by clouds is better than them both, as whilst it's by no means one of my favourites, it's a bit more cohesive

the syd Floyd is as different as the peter green Fleetwood mac is to the current version. the first album is very twee, and I think syds solo stuff is better suited to the type of lyrics he was doing. but saucerful just isn't a great album to me. and onto umma gumma, it's half a live album, to which I'm not a fan of live albums that only have part of a show or compilations of bits, and the studio stuff is like a test of patience to see if you have the will to live through it. so umma gumma and more are close worst albums

it took a while to get into AHM, particularly the title track, but it would be interesting if that was on one side and echoes on the other, and the b sides of both albums stuck together instead. I also love the long live version of embryo which was similar to echoes so understandable not released

then you are onto the great period - DSOTM, WYWH, animals and wall - just a great run, so it's understandable people would be disappointed by the final cut as after those great albums it does dip considerably. but I'd rather listen to final cut than another of the other albums outside of the 4 great ones

I was never much of a fan of momentary lapse or division bell either. I much preferred rogers solo stuff, and hitchhiking and KAOS in particular are big faves of mine, and outside the 4 great Floyd albums these are next in line for me

but I hold hope for the new album if it is ambient and instrumental in general vibe. it's better to have a great instrumental than a vocal with awful lyrics written by the bands yoko ono
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm another one that thinks that this was a bit of a missed opportunity in as much as they maybe should have buried the hatchet and got Waters back on board for this album. That said, Gilmour probably thought that it wasn't worth the hassle.

My understanding is the hatchet was buried. Gilmour played live with Waters during The Wall. But in terms of "Pink Floyd" Water's said it best himself recently:
    "Some people have been asking Laurie, my wife, about a new album I have coming out in November," Waters wrote. "Errhh? I don't have an album coming out, they are probably confused. David Gilmour and Nick Mason have an album coming out. It's called Endless River. David and Nick constitute the group Pink Floyd. I on the other hand, am not part of Pink Floyd. I left Pink Floyd in 1985, that's 29 years ago. I had nothing to do with either of the Pink Floyd studio albums, Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, nor the Pink Floyd tours of 1987 and 1994, and I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip."

Could he join up with them and play live again? Yep certainly.. but I doubt he wants to. He does his own thing and the rest do theirs.

I don't think they'll play at Glasto. I think Gilmour said they had wanted to while Richard was still alive but were refused. I'd much rather see them play a more intimate venue tbh. They don't need glasto.