I need to permanently erase USB sticks

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i can't help myself. it's maddening when you make a watertight case and you get a reaction that is unrelated.

but i just can't stop.
    Forum Member
    Having just done a word search for that and it shows no results, I think your post is full of bs.

have you considered actually reading it?

it explains clearly what was done, and the actual results.
  • robertcrowtherrobertcrowther Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    have you considered actually reading it?

it explains clearly what was done, and the actual results.

Have you read it??? As I keep saying this is not used in actual data retrieval. The best thing you can do is go and talk to other experts rather than just reading on the internet.

Just to let you know, I'm getting quite a few PM's thanking me for standing up for the experts.

Note: Read the comments on the link you posted. lol
    Forum Member
    Have you read it??? As I keep saying this is not used in actual data retrieval. The best thing you can do is go and talk to other experts rather than just reading on the internet.

Just to let you know, I'm getting quite a few PM's thanking me for standing up for the experts.

Note: Read the comments on the link you posted. lol

I have read the comments yes. which ones were you referring to?

i don't care how many people have PM'd you. it doesn't make you any less wrong.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    I have read the comments yes. which ones were you referring to?

i don't care how many people have PM'd you. it doesn't make you any less wrong.

If you've read the whole thing including the comments you would know that people have questioned it because it is based on a theoretical paper written in 2008, as you know it's 2013 and in practical applications of today we can retrieve data that has overwritten.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please can you start a new thread where you can argue over data retrieval from hard drives.

Then this thread can get back to the original purpose.

Thanks
    Forum Member
    Please can you start a new thread where you can argue over data retrieval from hard drives.

Then this thread can get back to the original purpose.

Thanks

I have said that many times
    Forum Member
    If you've read the whole thing including the comments you would know that people have questioned it because it is based on a theoretical paper written in 2008, as you know it's 2013 and in practical applications of today we can retrieve data that has overwritten.

i have read the whole thing, and the original paper. and other papers on the subject.

you suggested the comments shed some new light on it. perhaps you could tell me which ones.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok since you seem to be a world renowned expert on practical data recovery of data from drives that have been wiped, can we get a look at the tools/software etc required to perform these miracles? we aint asking for much just some proof such as court cases, legislation on having to leave a fingerprint so should i get bored and decide to write a disk wiper i can apply to the relevant ministry for my disk wiper ID?

and before we go all gene hackman - yes we can handle the truth
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Ok since you seem to be a world renowned expert on practical data recovery of data from drives that have been wiped, can we get a look at the tools/software etc required to perform these miracles? we aint asking for much just some proof such as court cases, legislation on having to leave a fingerprint so should i get bored and decide to write a disk wiper i can apply to the relevant ministry for my disk wiper ID?

and before we go all gene hackman - yes we can handle the truth

The tools are not for public use and even if you had the licence to use them you would not be able to afford them. You would also need to build yourself a lab and clean room.

Note: Myself and others have asked for you to make your own thread on this subject if you want to discuss this further.

Just except that they exist and move on in your life
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not in the office at the moment, I'm in Canada. :P

Yes I do get up early :)
    So #94 was just an empty promise.
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    So #94 was just an empty promise.

No, I've asked that this subject to be moved to another thread, that's all. I hope that there will be no more trolls on this thread.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    No, I've asked that this subject to be moved to another thread, that's all. I hope that there will be no more trolls on this thread.

You should have just asked for this thread to be closed. Rarely has anyone on this forum made themselves look so foolish.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to talk about HD's then maybe you should start your own thread/topic about it, otherwise please stay on topic.

You are a very funny man:
    Please don't accuse someone of trolling when you are trolling yourself. Thank you.

https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/rethinking-the-process-of-hard-drive-sanitizing/

This thread is not about HDDs.
    I have and another person has posted links to show that it is possible. What have you posted? A big nothing. Please stop trolling.

In future please read a link before posting a comment as if you had you would have known that your comment is cr*p.

i.e "For example, powerful signal-processing software can unravel many layers of overwrites to reconstruct the original data. And specialized equipment can easily read between the tracks of a magnetic platter’s normal data-recording zones to recover information recorded in nearby magnetic-field spillover areas"

that applies to a hard disk that is zerro'd.
    So there you are citing some poorly sourced crap about magnetic HDDs, and then telling me to start my own thread about them!
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    You are a very funny man:

So there you are citing some poorly sourced crap about magnetic HDDs, and then telling me to start my own thread about them!

As you can see I did say that this thread is not about HDD's, I think you should change your username from njp to Mr_Troll
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you can see I did say that this thread is not about HDD's
    So why do you keep talking about them, and then complaining when other people point out your misconceptions?
    Forum Member
    So why do you keep talking about them, and then complaining when other people point out your misconceptions?

My misconceptions :) lol I think it's yours.

I am very glad you don't work for me as I fire you for your incompetence and lack of knowledge and above all else the unwillingness to go and learn for ones self.

I hope you never employ a plumber and then say they have a misconception of how a tap works as I think you would get a bop on the nose.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you never employ a plumber and then say they have a misconception of how a tap works as I think you would get a bop on the nose.
    Yes, because all plumbers are reliable and keep within the law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very glad you don't work for me as I fire you for your incompetence and lack of knowledge and above all else the unwillingness to go and learn for ones self.
    Not working for you is a tragedy I'm just going to have to live with.

But how can we learn when you tell us that all your secret agent knowledge about data recovery is protected by the OSA, and you are forbidden to teach us, and the only links you give us are a bit... rubbish?
    I prefer to do my own plumbing, so I'm unlikely to be the victim of an assault by such an incompetent tradesman.

Please assure me you don't offer plumbing alongside data recovery!
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member

Plumbing, data recovery and hole digging.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My misconceptions :) lol I think it's yours.

We could apply for a job via http://www.datatechuk.com/ which has recently become your home page.

That's if they've ever heard of you...
    Forum Member
    Not working for you is a tragedy I'm just going to have to live with.

But how can we learn when you tell us that all your secret agent knowledge about data recovery is protected by the OSA, and you are forbidden to teach us, and the only links you give us are a bit... rubbish?

I prefer to do my own plumbing, so I'm unlikely to be the victim of an assault by such an incompetent tradesman.

No, I don't offer to do plumbing :) but something tells me that you would go into a plumbing shop and ask for a long weight.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't offer to do plumbing :) but something tells me that you would go into a plumbing shop and ask for a long weight.

Reminds me, can you get me a bucket of parity bits for the comms cabinet as i think its running low

but really we've done this to the death for normal magnetic media

but back to the regularly scheduled task

for flash/ssd drives there is an expectation of failure over time due to its limited write count so some data thats been remapped to new areas may still be readable from the old areas and i can remember that IBM were reducing the capacity of certain ssd's to give more room for the remapping to allow them to function longer in situations that involve a lot of writes but the capacity is not such an important feature

But given the newness of the ssd market and the technology is changing under the hood all the time what may work today for drive secure erasing may not work with the next generation of flash memory but unless people pester the manufacturers and decent testing is available so people can prove their data is or is not gone forever there will be a reluctance for people to sanitize but rather slap a 10lb lump hammer through it to be absolutely be secure
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    All software that is available to the public that erases data leaves a fingerprint (id) on the hard disk/usb stick, this is a requirement in law and any software that does not is not permitted.

Could you show me where in the Linux kernel this is implemented?
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    The reason MOD etc want to see classified hardware physically destroyed is not because that they believe that software will fail to wipe the data but by destroying the hardware they do not have to rely on a third party having used the software properly.

I think you will find there may be people on these boards with higher security clearances than you ~ but obviously they wont tell YOU that.