Star Radio Cheltenham to rebrand as Red 107.5 (Is it goodbye Star?)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kix96 wrote: »
    Odd.

What are other Star's doing?

Why would the other Star's be changing anything?
  • Kix96Kix96 Posts: 760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would the other Star's be changing anything?
    because it may have been planned as a minor repositioning before the Cheltenham station was sold ;)
  • tokingmenacetokingmenace Posts: 34
    Forum Member
  • the wellserthe wellser Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's been like that for sometime, nothing new and a link to that was posted earlier on there was also a link to a mock website by the new owner which was presumably not meant to be seen by the public yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Just listened online to some of Star Radio and flicked through their sites! They don't appear to have any presenters other than breakfast & drive! is this right?

How bland do they sound!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On monday on the breakfast show "we want to hear what you think of our station".
  • PDMBPDMB Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flackers wrote: »
    Yes, but could Laser afford to have another station in their portfolio? They haven't even got enough spare cash for their existing stations to have phone lines......

They managed purchase Brunel, Bath & 3TR despite not having a website and/or telephone line for some of their existing stations- I guess it ultimately comes down to how the management of a company wishes to spend their cash.

Just becasue they don't have a working phone line for one (or more) of their stations-it does not automatically mean they cannot afford to have one.

If UKRD were offering Star Radio (Cheltenham) for £1 plus debts; I am sure Laser would have put in a bid.... assumnig they were given the chance...........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PDMB wrote: »
    They managed purchase Brunel, Bath & 3TR despite not having a website and/or telephone line for some of their existing stations- I guess it ultimately comes down to how the management of a company wishes to spend their cash.

Just becasue they don't have a working phone line for one (or more) of their stations-it does not automatically mean they cannot afford to have one.

If UKRD were offering Star Radio (Cheltenham) for £1 plus debts; I am sure Laser would have put in a bid.... assumnig they were given the chance...........

A pound?!!! Bit steep isn't considering the mess that Star Cheltenham has fallen into over the last few years.

49pence + debts, perhaps.

SKY news tone all over the output at the moment. Lovely.
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear that any plans for a rebranding at this station have been aborted. It will continue as Star Radio under new ownership.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear that any plans for a rebranding at this station have been aborted. It will continue as Star Radio under new ownership.

Why, the sudden change of ideas?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Did the sale go through?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.3783.2

Seems to confirm what belleville1 said, my sugestion of Severn FM could still be a possible name for the stations, with Severn Sound looking likely to be rebranded as 'Heart' then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.3783.2

Seems to confirm what belleville1 said, my sugestion of Severn FM could still be a possible name for the stations, with Severn Sound looking likely to be rebranded as 'Heart' then.
    surely if its possible to use the name in the area at all, it will only be after the rebrand to heart.

I wonder if we see this happening across the country.... Lite become Hereward, Connect become Nothants etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The radio station will continue to be run completely by Junie Lewis who has been in charge for a number of years, and will look towards the listeners to help suggest a new name for the station once the licence to continue running the Star Radio brand runs out in 12 months time.

I want to be paid (a lot) to run my station under the Star Radio brand. It's an industry wide joke!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kix96 wrote: »
    surely if its possible to use the name in the area at all, it will only be after the rebrand to heart.

I wonder if we see this happening across the country.... Lite become Hereward, Connect become Nothants etc.

I've previously made the suggestion on here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've previously made the suggestion on here.
    Yeah I saw your thread, and was not trying to steal your thunder. Its just this station could well become a "test case".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, I can't see there being anything stopping the new owners using the word 'Severn' in the station's name. You already have MNA Broadcasting using that word in the name of two of its stations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, I can't see there being anything stopping the new owners using the word 'Severn' in the station's name. You already have MNA Broadcasting using that word in the name of two of its stations.
    It depends is there is any kind of protection against it - MNA are not in competition, and GCAP probably don't care too much - Opening up Severn FM in the same TSA clearly would ruffle some feathers.

Whether its possible... who knows. I do hope so - because Global clearly don't care about heritage.
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Take the situation with the word "wave". It's a fairly generic term with connections to radio and the sea, and various stations around the coast have decided to use it over the years. UTV own two of them, in Blackpool and Swansea, while other groups have stations called Wave or Waves in Dundee, the Solent region and Peterhead.

None of these stations overlap with one another and there's very little risk of confusion between them. But if a small station on the south coast decided to start calling itself Wave, then the owners of the Solent regional would rightly be able to challenge that as "passing off", or trying to trade on the reputation that the original Wave has built up over the years. It's a similar case with the two Severn stations; they're too far apart for either to be bothered about the other, but if Star called itself Severn, you can guarantee that Global would have something to say.

(Something similar actually happened to Wave in Dundee shortly after it launched as Discovery 102. The well-known TV channel of that name were able to force the new radio station to stop trading under it.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

None of these stations overlap with one another and there's very little risk of confusion between them. But if a small station on the south coast decided to start calling itself Wave, then the owners of the Solent regional would rightly be able to challenge that. It's a similar case with the two Severn stations; they're too far apart for either to be bothered about the other, but if Star called itself Severn, you can guarantee that Global would have something to say.

But the question is would they have any argument in the law?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the question is would they have any argument in the law?

Surely if a name is trademarked in the UK for the purpose of radio broadcasting then the trademark covers the whole of the UK? The distance between the stations would not be relevant.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Whats happened to Star Radio, Cheltenhams Breakfast show? Its gone and certainly disappeared from the schedule:

http://www.starradio1075.co.uk/schedule.asp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Theres going to be a new breakfast show hosted by an ex severn sound presenter
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Oooo right, anyone know where Craig has gone!?
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Any relevance to the 'Red' name, with regard to bigL ?

http://musicradionews.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=612&start=45

bottom of page