Options

Thomson DHD4000 software update 1.7.7 on 2004/12/16-17

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    slimgym wrote:
    stopped using the "schedule for deletion" ... I have yet to have another corruption.

I've not had corrupt recordings on my 120GB WD1200AB and have a large number of "schedule for deletion" recordings (I use it as a "watched" marker). I suspect the LP conversion.

Okay I've had a corruption again.

I now suspect the instant record. I used that a lot over Christmas and havent used it until the weekend. I did an instant record and then turned the box off. Next day box had crashed (But has downloaded the EPG during the night) and the instant recirding was corrupt.
  • Options
    slimgymslimgym Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I now suspect the instant record.
    I hardly ever, if at all, use the instant record. Maybe once or twice. Never had any corruptions or YLD, though monday morning I found it had a yellow LED it power cycled and came back normally. Also hardly ever use chase play.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I've never had corruption and I never use instant record or chase play. Never had a real YLD either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    chimaera wrote:
    The latest development on mine is that this morning, it was completely dead, without any lights on at all. A power cycle sorted it out.

and
    chimaera wrote:
    Only a couple of days this time. Recently it refused to power up from standby, so I power cycled it then.

My problem

My box has had "morning sickness" twice now in 6 weeks of ownership (box completely dead in the morning apart from the sound of the HD spinning and no lights on).It has been about 2 week’s in-between problems. As this seems to only happen at night dose any body think this has something to do with the EPG?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    My box has had "morning sickness" twice now in 6 weeks of ownership (box completely dead in the morning apart from the sound of the HD spinning and no lights on).It has been about 2 week’s in-between problems. As this seems to only happen at night dose any body think this has something to do with the EPG?

I do not know the answer, but, it has happened just the once to my box (had it since June last year) and that was after the software upgrade after about 4 weeks uptime. No problems since.

Very odd :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    alakin wrote:
    I do not know the answer, but, it has happened just the once to my box (had it since June last year) and that was after the software upgrade after about 4 weeks uptime. No problems since.

Very odd :confused:

Don't know if this is something similar, but came down to my box this morning to find no lights on and box not responsive. Had to resort to unplugging and turning back on. Everything now seems ok, except that whenever I go into any menu item, e.g. program guide, record history, record list and leave it for a few moments, the page goes very dark blue and the writing black. As soon as you press any button, the screen display goes back to normal. I have noticed this since Sunday PM. To verify it is not a problem I have induced I have changed scarts and tried running to another tv (crt not lcd), but the same problem is still occurred. Has anyone else had this? I am wondering if my box is about to go on the blink - I hope not because that will be my 6th box since Dec 2003 (was the not so proud owner of the Pace Twin and then had to take 1st Thomson back because of sound problem . Incidently, for all those who have reported sound problem / sound drop - we have found it was our amp (a kenwood dvd amp combo). We have now got a teac amp and the sound drop problem has gone away - so it can't have been a box problem.

Please let us know if you have any problems with the above. How do we go on about contacting Thomson for a repair - only had box 3 months or so ? Thank You.
  • Options
    Edward DrexelEdward Drexel Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    >>except that whenever I go into any menu item, e.g.
    >>program guide, record history, record list and leave it for a
    >>few moments, the page goes very dark blue and the writing
    >>black. As soon as you press any button, the screen display
    >>goes back to normal

It sounds as though you have the "Radio Blanking" switched on - I have noticed this also sometimes affects the menus.

Try switching it off in the Setup menu (or if it's already switched off, switch it on and then off again!) and see if that helps.

(ab)
  • Options
    g.wright1g.wright1 Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    With reference to the sound drop out problem on the optical output, tonight I've watched TV with sound fed through my toshiba home cinema dvd player (using optical feed) and it has been perfect, no glitches at all, I only normally feed it this way to watch films I've recorded so I can listen with pro logic 2, some people that say they get drop out said it was only on live tv not recordings so I thought I'd check mine. I have never had any problems like this with my unit. As for other things I've had no lights at twice since upgrade and on Friday had tthe standby light on but no response from remote or front panel buttons, pretty much the same as no lights, rebooted and has been fine since, no other major problems and no corrupt or lost recordings. Before the upgrade and since june last year when i got the box I can say the it never ever crashed, it just suffered the usual bugs with previous software, lets hope they can iron out the new bugs in future software.

Gary
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    no lights on and box not responsive me 2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Bought a samsung 120G 8MB cache HDD to upgrade me dhd4000, and it worked first time! :D no real noticable difference in speed or anything with the extra cache, but not tested it fully. One thing i did notice, EPG downloaded last night but have no BBC 2 info!?? one question I do have, if i'm watching something, and hold down record for a few seconds it starts to record what your watching, how do i easily stop recording? i used to be able to go into the record listing and change when it stopped i.e. by time, but can't seem to do it now!? is there a really easy way to stop it recording, like pressing stop or something like any normal VCR, DVD recorder etc... ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bought a samsung 120G 8MB cache HDD to upgrade me dhd4000, and it worked first time! :D no real noticable difference in speed or anything with the extra cache, but not tested it fully. One thing i did notice, EPG downloaded last night but have no BBC 2 info!?? one question I do have, if i'm watching something, and hold down record for a few seconds it starts to record what your watching, how do i easily stop recording? i used to be able to go into the record listing and change when it stopped i.e. by time, but can't seem to do it now!? is there a really easy way to stop it recording, like pressing stop or something like any normal VCR, DVD recorder etc... ?

To stop a recording the only way I believe you can do this is to go into the record list, highlight the recording displayed in red and cancel it, by doing this it only stops the recording it will then be in the list of recorded programs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    when I go into the record list it only gives me the option to remove recording!? it then deletes the recording from the list and then doesn't appear in the record history :( unless i'm doing something wrong?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is strange, I often stop a recording this way and always appears in the record history, I done it a few times where I've been messing around and started to record something I don't want, so I've stoped this way and ended up with a short 1 minute or how ever long it lasted random recording in the history. I'm at work now but will try again when I go home.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g.wright1 wrote:
    That is strange, I often stop a recording this way and always appears in the record history, I done it a few times where I've been messing around and started to record something I don't want, so I've stoped this way and ended up with a short 1 minute or how ever long it lasted random recording in the history. I'm at work now but will try again when I go home.
    Yep, same here. I've done it several times. When you press remove, it should stop the recording, and what has recorded will be in the record history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok, i'll give it another go tonight :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Anyone know how to edit a scheduled recording once it is in the list? I have tried several things but nothing seems to allow me to change the times etc. I seem to remember something about highlighting the one you want to edit, press OK to move it to the top bar then edit, but pressing OK doesn't seem to do anything for me ... Is it different depending whether you set a manual recording or one from the EPG perhaps?

Also tried everything last night to stop a recording without success but will try again tonight given the advice above ...

Martin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martink wrote:
    Anyone know how to edit a scheduled recording once it is in the list?
    I believe you can't. I think there was a mistake in the manual, which is why it was originally thought to be possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    when I go into the record list it only gives me the option to remove recording!? it then deletes the recording from the list and then doesn't appear in the record history :( unless i'm doing something wrong?

One tip - make sure when you go into the record history that you press the up arrow on your remote control. It sometimes hides things at the top of the list that only appear when you 'scroll' up, even though there may not be a scroll bar on the side.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    >>except that whenever I go into any menu item, e.g.
    >>program guide, record history, record list and leave it for a
    >>few moments, the page goes very dark blue and the writing
    >>black. As soon as you press any button, the screen display
    >>goes back to normal

It sounds as though you have the "Radio Blanking" switched on - I have noticed this also sometimes affects the menus.

Try switching it off in the Setup menu (or if it's already switched off, switch it on and then off again!) and see if that helps.

(ab)

Thanks v, much - problem solved, not sure how, but somehow "plasma screen blanking" had been turned on to every 30 seconds. Turned it to off and now everything OK. PHEW - faith restored in my v. reliable Thomson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hi, i tried instant record and then removed it in record list to stop it last night, went into record history and hey presto the recording was in there ! :D must have lost the plot last time I tried it :o thanks everyone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I set the DHD4000 to record "29 minutes of fame" last night. When I came to view the Record History list this morning I noticed that the programme was only 17 minutes long (the 2nd half of the programme). At this time there was 4 hours of free HD space. Never had that before. Anyone :confused:
  • Options
    iiyama17iiyama17 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recorded sound???

Ok, nothing to do with momentary drop outs in sound - I've proven this was due to my central heating. Heating ON and I get drop outs on live and recorded programmes - Heating OFF and there's no problem!

Anyhow, on playback of recorded programmes, the sound appears a bit odd, almost like it is MONO. I'm sure I've seen a reference to this on one of the DHD4000 boards but I can't find it now. Has anyone else got/had this problem and do you know if there is a work around?

By the way, it's nothing to do with leads etc because the sound is fine when watching broadcasts 'live'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alakin wrote:
    I set the DHD4000 to record "29 minutes of fame" last night. When I came to view the Record History list this morning I noticed that the programme was only 17 minutes long (the 2nd half of the programme). At this time there was 4 hours of free HD space. Never had that before. Anyone :confused:
    Well, it looks like this is the "chase play" type problem in a different guise. My wife tells me that she finished watching a DVD and watched the second half of the "29 minutes of fame". In other words, as soon as the recorded programme was viewed as live TV it ignored what had already been recorded and saved just the part that was being viewed. Not very satisfactory. I suppose it is just another case of us humans having to adapt to the way the software works.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi all,
    I had a lockup on Sunday morning where ALL the lights were on, and there was no response to any buttons. Had to power cycle to get it to work again, and I noticed that it only had 13 days worth of EPG.
    So I reported this to Thompson, and to their credit they responded quite quickly to say that "We are aware of a problem that sometimes the box crashes when downloading the EPG, we are currently working with the software house to correct it" and "We are working on increasing the stability and any changes will be made in an OAD, this is yet to be confirmed and will be notified to you by the box when available."
    So hopefully this update, when it arrives, will make the box a lot more stable.

Cheers,

Neil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also emailed Thomson with my list of bugs, and they replied to say they are aware of all of them, as well as the general stability issue, and it is being worked on. So we will get another OAD, but who knows when.