Wearing a bit thin - Radio 5

radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How many more interviews with ex footballers and other people who have a story to tell/SELL of their misfortune will fast crashing Radio 5 do within the next few weeks?
Kenny Samson - booze gambling
Stella English -lost her court case, "judge wrong" but wont appeal...bankrupt with three properties
Vicki Pryce - broke the law - man's fault
Keith Gillespie booze gambling
Alastair Campbell booze
I am sure other listeners could lengthen the list

This is poor broadcasting.
For once in a while it would be good to hear the well paid presenters ask the tough questions...

Comments

• Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fast crashing?? Figures please.:cool:
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Fast crashing?? Figures please.:cool:

Look at the main five live thread we all agree and the main offender is Derbyshire backed up by Nolan and Bacon. It is becoming a no go area in the daytime.
  • Dr BobbinsDr Bobbins Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Yes, but it's not about whether you agree. Only Rajar matters, not anoraks!
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Bobbins wrote: »
    Yes, but it's not about whether you agree. Only Rajar matters, not anoraks!

Well said.

A handful of grumpy old men on an anorak forum is not a representative sample of the audience.

Hence why, across the industry, criticism on DS is seen as a sign they're getting it right. It's only when the anoraks like something that programmers start to worry they've screwed up.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at the main five live thread we all agree and the main offender is Derbyshire backed up by Nolan and Bacon. It is becoming a no go area in the daytime.

A bunch of moaning old anorak obsessives on a forum laughed at by the industry is hardly representative of the main body of listeners.

Why not add this tripe to the main 5 live thread?
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bunch of moaning old anorak obsessives on a forum laughed at by the industry is hardly representative of the main body of listeners.

Why not add this tripe to the main 5 live thread?

When Radio 5 is closed down by the BBC because of a low listening basis remember you were warned by this "moaning old anorak".

RAJAR is quoted. Shame the hourly figures between 6am to 4pm are not provided - in my opinion the listening figure comparison between now and ten years ago would be staggering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Radio 5 is closed down by the BBC because of a low listening basis remember you were warned by this "moaning old anorak".

RAJAR is quoted. Shame the hourly figures between 6am to 4pm are not provided - in my opinion the listening figure comparison between now and ten years ago would be staggering.

Your opinion would appear to be a little biased. Care to provide some figures to back up your claims?

Edit: A quck glance at the 5 year graphs suggests things are quite steady no?
    http://www.mediauk.com/radio/313/bbc-radio-5-live/listening-figures
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you're not biased of course?
    The stats provided showing overall figures hide the fact that weekday daytime programmes/presenters are inferior to those of ten years ago.
    Lose any more football commentaries and the station will be deep down in the proverbial.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't this be best being discussed in the 5live thread?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you're not biased of course?
    The stats provided showing overall figures hide the fact that weekday daytime programmes/presenters are inferior to those of ten years ago.
    Lose any more football commentaries and the station will be deep down in the proverbial.

No, I'm not biased at all. Never listen to speech radio these days so don't care either way.

The stats provided may hide various things but they don't disguise the fact that listeners generally are staying with the station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the BBC, both radio newsand TV News, falling over backwards to give this CRIMINAL free airtime to flog her book on the ridiculous pretext that her story is news???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the BBC, both radio newsand TV News, falling over backwards to give this CRIMINAL free airtime to flog her book on the ridiculous pretext that her story is news???

As well as all the commercial news organisations and the newspapers too. Don't let your prejudice get in the way of the facts though.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    How many more interviews with ex footballers and other people who have a story to tell/SELL of their misfortune will fast crashing Radio 5 do within the next few weeks?
    Kenny Samson - booze gambling
    Stella English -lost her court case, "judge wrong" but wont appeal...bankrupt with three properties
    Vicki Pryce - broke the law - man's fault
    Keith Gillespie booze gambling
    Alastair Campbell booze
    I am sure other listeners could lengthen the list

This is poor broadcasting.
    For once in a while it would be good to hear the well paid presenters ask the tough questions...

A man who knows the station so well that he doesn't even know its called Five Live .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During the 10 to noon slog the title Five Live is a misnomer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As well as all the commercial news organisations and the newspapers too. Don't let your prejudice get in the way of the facts though.

I dont pay a licence fee to the others. And in fact hardly watch them, although do miss LBC not being on DAB which knocks spots of the likes of Derbyshire.
    Regarding prejudice, I think the BBC is wonderful, however very concerned how the standards are being allowed to drop.
    If the BBC spent less money on the likes of Vicky Pryce and Stella English it could perhaps secure the tv rights for at least one home test match?!? As per Formula 1 arrangement... and protect the Sky at Night?!?
    The BBC should lead NOT follow
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time I listen is when Danny Baker is on! It's a shame they couldn't get rid of Bacon and replace him with Baker
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baker replacing Bacon...Hhhhmmmm sounds good to me,we could also give Bacon the 10-1am slot and dump the "quiz" and the dull guy as well....All sounds good to me.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baker replacing Bacon...Hhhhmmmm sounds good to me,we could also give Bacon the 10-1am slot and dump the "quiz" and the dull guy as well....All sounds good to me.:)

How about Richard for the 10am Misery slog, he would certainly brighten this slot up.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I dont pay a licence fee to the others. And in fact hardly watch them, although do miss LBC not being on DAB which knocks spots of the likes of Derbyshire.
    Regarding prejudice, I think the BBC is wonderful, however very concerned how the standards are being allowed to drop.
    If the BBC spent less money on the likes of Vicky Pryce and Stella English it could perhaps secure the tv rights for at least one home test match?!?
    Oh I see, its not really any interest in the quality of Five Live. Its just anothet tiresome request for even more money to be spent on the bottomless pit that is TV sport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Oh I see, its not really any interest in the quality of Five Live. Its just anothet tiresome request for even more money to be spent on the bottomless pit that is TV sport.

TUC - Did you deliberately choose to cut my contribution mentioning trying to also protect the Sky at Night programme (which at the last time of counting does not feature sport) in your quote?
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the BBC spent less money on the likes of Vicky Pryce and Stella English it could perhaps secure the tv rights for at least one home test match?!? As per Formula 1 arrangement... and protect the Sky at Night?!?
    The BBC should lead NOT follow

There is no room for live test cricket on BBC TV in the current full choc-a-bloc schedules.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    There is no room for live test cricket on BBC TV in the current full choc-a-bloc schedules.

Now everywhere has digital tv snd more channels I'm happy for tge cricket to be shoved away in bbc 2 but please not on 5 live. It could ho on Radio 4 who can easilly split frequencys.

5 live seems to do less if the silly interupting someone mud sentence to go to live coverage of some sport event and then back to the topic. That was just daft and a hard listen for everyone. They would come out of say the travel and warn us something is about to happen. Start speaking to the next person and 1 minute in interupt them to cut to live coverage. Wouldb't going to it straight out of the travel junction have sounded better? I'm sure the bbc reporters are more than capable of filling in for a couple of minites if needed.

This does nothing for sports fans who would find proper coverage elsewhere if they were that intetested. It does nothing for the people like me who want to hear the phone in because it is constantly interupted.

They seem to have seen sense and now merge the two in a much more sensible way.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    simon243 wrote: »
    Well said.

A handful of grumpy old men on an anorak forum is not a representative sample of the audience.

Hence why, across the industry, criticism on DS is seen as a sign they're getting it right. It's only when the anoraks like something that programmers start to worry they've screwed up.

Anoraks laugh at them for believing a outdated method of a few thousand people filling in a paper diary for some rough data for RAJAR.

Yet, the commercial radio sector in particular, treat RAJAR as some sort of life support machine.....all rather sad really.