Black celebrities go white to encourage people to vote

Comments

• donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange idea can't see it making much difference though I hope it does.Everybody able to should vote,historically it wasn't that long ago that the majority of us wouldn't be able to
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 'whiting up' is ok?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wonder what would be being said now if the like of Robbie Williams, Russell Brand or David Tenant had blacked up for a promo campaign.
  • josjos Posts: 9,992
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    So 'whiting up' is ok?

Apparently so, yet another black/white hypocracy
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The puzzling thing to me is that black people want to be judged by the content of their character not by the color of their skin (which is the way it should be), and yet a large proportion make the color of their skin their main identity.
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Just wonder what would be being said now if the like of Robbie Williams, Russell Brand or David Tenant had blacked up for a promo campaign.

That's similar to what I was thinking.
    jos wrote: »
    Apparently so, yet another black/white hypocrisy

Yes, can you imagine the controversy if it was the other way round?
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this mean the Black and White Minstrels can make a come back ?
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member

I believe Jeremy Clarkson is lined up to host the show! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The black and the black with make up on to look like white minstrel show.

By the way have you actually seen what they look like

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/ad_165970545.jpg?quality=80&w=768&h=384&crop=1#038;strip=all&w=1000&h=500
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jos wrote: »
    Apparently so, yet another black/white hypocracy

Although I think it's a little misguided, the sentiment is good. This is usually the difference that causes offence to people (and of course there is a PC brigade who like to shut anything like that down)

The video in it's context says do what the white people so and vote, get your voice heard because so many blacks and asians fail to do so.

Sounds to me it's a good cause and maybe people should see it as that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Although I think it's a little misguided, the sentiment is good. This is usually the difference that causes offence to people (and of course there is a PC brigade who like to shut anything like that down)

The video in it's context says do what the white people so and vote, get your voice heard because so many blacks and asians fail to do so.

Sounds to me it's a good cause and maybe people should see it as that.
    If this had been the other way around it would be on all the news stations and Twitter would be in meltdown.
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    If this had been the other way around it would be on all the news stations and Twitter would be in meltdown.

You're not wrong.

I know a lot of people who won't register to vote because they don't want to be in case they can be traced. For example the people who are living with someone and the household is claiming the 25% discount in Council Tax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did my own rendition of it.

http://postimg.org/image/o756abqjd/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    I did my own rendition of it.

http://postimg.org/image/o756abqjd/

Make it viral on Twitter:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well yes it would. You would have the PC brigade on one side, the racists on the other and sensible people in the middle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make it viral on Twitter:D

I don't have twitter and think people may think I've shopped it :)
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it would depend why they were doing it. If it was just for the LOLZ and a bit of light entertainment, it would be questioned. If it were to make a serious point about prejudice and race relations etc, then it would be very different.

Of course, white people are still the majority in this country, and hold all of the power, and are far more likely to be registered to vote, so it's not possible to create a reverse scenario to this one.

Hopefully it will encourage some more people to register to vote, regardless of colour. If the campaign is of particular interest to black people, and gets their attention, then it's done its job.

If a few white people with a chip on their shoulders and no concept of history or context, get precious about it, so what?
  • rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    The message in the video is that black people need special representation, which is a message I disagree with. Same thing with black people who want black police officers to feel 'represented'. The basis of that position is that skin colour is important and that it means something to feel connected with people of your ethnicity... which is a position that anti-racists have argued against for years.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point is that black people are very, very under-represented when it comes to being registered to vote. The campaign is attempting to get more black people to register to vote.

No-one is asking for black people to get two votes each.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    The puzzling thing to me is that black people want to be judged by the content of their character not by the color of their skin (which is the way it should be), and yet a large proportion make the color of their skin their main identity.

Isn't it strange? We keep getting told how everyone should be 'colour blind' and yet certain minority groups seem to be utterly obsessed with it. It seems you should only be 'colour blind' if you're white (but not if you're in the position to tick a box).
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    The point is that black people are very, very under-represented when it comes to being registered to vote. The campaign is attempting to get more black people to register to vote.

No-one is asking for black people to get two votes each.

It seems that black voters are being asked to vote for black candidates.
  • rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »

It goes beyond getting them to register though:

"If you're black or Asian and not registered to vote, you're taking the colour out of Britain"
    "I know you don't feel represented by our politicians"
    "The more black and Asian people registered to vote, the more we'll be represented"

What's he's saying is that black and Asian people need to vote for black and Asian MPs in order to be properly represented. But do they? It seems to me that skin colour is either something that really matters, or isn't supposed to matter at all, depending on what your skin colour is.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people who let themselves get unsettled by things like this never fail to give themselves away......seething,grumbling closet racists extrapolating and making unconnected and ignorant generalisations rather than understanding and concentrating on the point of the exercise......Silly.
    Forum Member
    It goes beyond getting them to register though:

"If you're black or Asian and not registered to vote, you're taking the colour out of Britain"
    "I know you don't feel represented by our politicians"
    "The more black and Asian people registered to vote, the more we'll be represented"

What's he's saying is that black and Asian people need to vote for black and Asian MPs in order to be properly represented. But do they? It seems to me that skin colour is either something that really matters, or isn't supposed to matter at all, depending on what your skin colour is.

Exactly.