Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    portugalportugal Posts: 1,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contejas wrote: »
    Can I just say NORWAY! My god I loved them. Such a sincere performance (I'm a sucker for that)...I really wanted them to do better but they did get a top 10...

Best by a mile.
    I've just read that the UK gave Portugal 1 point in the Semi Final. Hooray! My phone bill will not be in vain.

Mine neither :D
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    I think, as the dust begins to settle, the biggest story for me from last night was the (much deserved) success of Belgium and Latvia with modern and slightly edgy entries. I really hope that has an influence on next year - I'd like to see more entries that take a bit of a risk artistically (at least in Eurovision terms!)

What she said :)
  • Options
    dia6olodia6olo Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    A French guy was singing (badly) and prancing around in high heels. Simon said how it's better than Eurovision/how Eurovision should be done. :confused:

I saw that! What a muppet that man is! I can't stand him, especially after what he did to manipulate Andrea Faustini out of wining x factor!
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first national final for the new season takes place tonight... for JESC :p

Albania! Will begin at 20:00 UK time. You can watch here: http://rtsh.al/tvsh_live.php
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So with Eurovision now over does this mean you'll me going back to hibernation until the 2016 NF season or do you think you could stick around for our Fantasy Eurovision season? :kitty:
    "Hibernation"? Back to real life, more like :p I sorely need a summer holiday from ESC, at least! ;) But maybe not just yet... Btw, what are the Fantasy Eurovision contests, something different from the DS fantasy contests...? :blush:

da33431 wrote: »
    Actually thinking about it I'm sure Bojana was wearing her nightie!!
    :D

I voted for Moldova though... Those camp police outfits! :o
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Estonia confirmed for 2016.
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

So I've been hacking at the split result data to see if an idea I had about how to best reflect the televote in combination with the jury vote. I'll probably write something up about the method (which is fairly simple), but I wanted to get a quick acid test on whether people think that this sort of result is a better reflection of the public will:
    1 Italy 341
    2 Sweden 316
    3 Russia 305
    4 Belgium 207
    5 Australia 174
    6 Latvia 167
    7 Estonia 113
    8 Israel 86
    9 Norway 85
    10 Serbia 62
    11 Armenia 53
    12 Georgia 47
    13 Lithuania 46
    14 Albania 45
    14 Azerbaijan 45
    16 Montenegro 44
    17 Romania 40
    18 Slovenia 36
    19 Greece 28
    20 Hungary 18
    21 Spain 17
    22 Cyprus 16
    23 Poland 14
    24 France 5
    25 United Kingdom 4
    26 Austria 3
    27 Germany 3

Compare to real results here: http://oikotimes.com/2015/05/24/may-24-eurovision-2015-italy-won-televoting-sweden-jury-voting/
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, I wrote up my thoughts in a Google doc in case anyone's interested?

https://t.co/76dxtBf4yC
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    The first national final for the new season takes place tonight... for JESC :p

Albania! Will begin at 20:00 UK time. You can watch here: http://rtsh.al/tvsh_live.php

I assume there's no televote for that. Might watch anyway. Junior Eurovision was good last year.
  • Options
    yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    Official Chart update starting now on R1. 5 new entries, 2 from Vienna.
    First is Belgium, in at number 31 :o
    And Heroes goes straight in at 5 - shows what a career killer Eurovision is :p
  • Options
    bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How brilliant to hear loic and mans on Radio 1 just now. I must say, 'rhythm inside' sounds incredible on the radio, and it fits in so well with the demographic (I think this is the reason it is doing so much better than Italy and Russia on iTunes in the uk). Scott I see is being typically pathetic with regards to both songs.
  • Options
    takethemontakethemon Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    bring back abba!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How brilliant to hear loic and mans on Radio 1 just now. I must say, 'rhythm inside' sounds incredible on the radio, and it fits in so well with the demographic (I think this is the reason it is doing so much better than Italy and Russia on iTunes in the uk). Scott I see is being typically pathetic with regards to both songs.

They are cheap tacky pop songs hyped up to high heaven by the powers that be, here today gone tomorrow!
    These artists will mostly vanish from the face of the earth in the blink of an eye, trust me on this one!
    When the dust has settled these hyped artists will be selling their material in their own country only, and that's if they are lucky!
    Artists like Il volo will be around LONG after these people have vanished, selling their material to the world.

And you know why?
    Because once the media hype surrounding plastic artists dies there is no substance to keep them coming back again and again with successful albums.... Quite literally all style and no substance....

As for charting, apart from pointing out the obvious of how much crap we have in the charts these days, Il Volo's "Grande Amore" has been charting across European countries for over 3 months, in other words it's already done the rounds!
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dia6olo wrote: »
    They are cheap tacky pop songs hyped up to high heaven by the powers that be, here today gone tomorrow!
    These artists will mostly vanish from the face of the earth in the blink of an eye, trust me on this one!
    When the dust has settled these hyped artists will be selling their material in their own country only, and that's if they are lucky!
    Artists like Il volo will be around LONG after these people have vanished, selling their material to the world.

And you know why?
    Because once the media hype surrounding plastic artists dies there is no substance to keep them coming back again and again with successful albums.... Quite literally all style and no substance....

As for charting, apart from pointing out the obvious of how much crap we have in the charts these days, Il Volo's "Grande Amore" has been charting across European countries for over 3 months, in other words it's already done the rounds!

I wonder if there's a fan of Il Volo on the forum... :D:D:blush: Joking - Agree with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a fan of Il Volo on the forum... :D:D:blush: Joking - Agree with you.

I'm not upset.... honest :D
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Our very own Kargo has created another great montage of Saturday's final - emotional to watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6SCy9WOVVQ

Oh my...got proper emotional watching that:(
    I had the time of my life in Vienna and cannot recommend going to eurovision enough!:cry:
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Il Volo, famous for covering old Italian classics. True artists.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And you know why?

Oh great, a music snob Eurovision fan. :p

I don't disagree regarding Il Volo especially as I was highly aware of their success, but let's not consider them 'high brow' when in actuality they're nothing more but watered down 'pop' opera for the masses to consume. They're good at it sure, but they' made their earning doing opera covers mostly. Every piece of music has its value ,be it here today, gone tomorrow. It's a disservice to say otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    Ah, Il Volo, famous for covering old Italian classics. True artists.

LOL now that really is laughable when every plastic pop song is a copy of another, get your ears tested, at least they can sing them ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh great, a music snob Eurovision fan. :p

I don't disagree regarding Il Volo especially as I was highly aware of their success, but let's not consider them 'high brow' when in actuality they're nothing more but watered down 'pop' opera for the masses to consume. They're good at it sure, but they' made their earning doing opera covers mostly. Every piece of music has its value ,be it here today, gone tomorrow. It's a disservice to say otherwise.

It's not about covers, as I pointed out above practically every pop song is copy of another! It's the talent behind the cover ;-)
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not about covers, as I pointed out above practically every pop song is copy of another! It's the talent behind the cover ;-)

Then it's a bit rich of you to put down other artists to prop up these guys, honestly. I can say that about every other Eurovision artist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then it's a bit rich of you to put down other artists to prop up these guys, honestly. I can say that about every other Eurovision artist.

My points are valid because in time the likes of Mans will be nobodies, you know that, I know that and I there say most people know it too, "plastic". Il Volo will still be around bigger and better. Rich/snobbish, call it what you like but it still boils down to substance! ;-)
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Plastic pop ftw! <3 :kitty:

What are tweener Il Divo if it's not plastic popera...
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »

I'm with you on both counts...
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And you know why?

as the winner of the san remo song contest..

still crap lyrics
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »

Mrs Checks wrote: »
    I'm with you on both counts...

Come back when the dust has settled!
    I've already proven my point with you Lisa when I told you all those months ago, remember when I was correct and you were way off ;-)
This discussion has been closed.