Options

UGG Boots - which ones are the originals?

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't wear these boots, so am asking this on behalf of a friend, and out of interest. She has ordered a pair off a website, which has now been deleted from the google results - she tracked them down via parcelforce to China and was told they wouldn't make it across the border, as they were counterfeit. My question is that, as UGG is the generic name for this type of boot, and not the name of the company which manufactures them, is there such a thing as an original UGG boot? Surely, by definition, any boot which is made with genuine sheepskin of a certain grade, and merino wool, etc can legally be called an UGG boot?
At least if you purchase a pair of EMU or WARMBAT boots, and they have either of these names printed on them, you should be gettiing a genuine pair of boots of that particular brand.
If a pair of boots have UGG printed on them, how do we know who has made them? Apparently a company called Deckers manufactures them, as does a company called Mark Stone.
A guy called Brian Moore, I think, actually formed a company many years ago which manufactured UGG boots, but this type of boot has been in production for well over 100 years.
There was a legal battle in Australia between two companies, both of which were making and marketing UGG boots, to gain the right to own the name UGG boots. It was Emu and Warmbat I seem to remember.
So, if you purchase a pair of 'genuine' UGGs for £195.00, or a pair of 'counterfeit' UGGs for £59.00, is either pair truly authentic?
Any ideas?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i believe Deckers make the original "UGG" boots, the expensive ones

but there is nothing wrong in buying EMU uggs

the problem arises when, as your friend has found out, people go for the Chinese copies that are floating about

i think its a bit of an UGG minefield on the internet, best off buying from a known seller of the real thing, thats if your friend can afford too
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugg is a registered trade mark.

Therefore selling boots not made by Ugg (or Deckers to be precise as they are the parent company) under the Ugg name would make them counterfeit.

The boots themselves could be legally sold if sold under a different name, Igg boots for example, or just under a generic "sheep skin boot" category.
  • Options
    Roger5737Roger5737 Posts: 2,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping i'm going to be of some use here! :)

Simple answer, the ones from Ugg Australia.

The original ones (mens classic shorts) are the originals which were worn by the Australian sheep farmers/shearers and are seen on men still to this day.

http://www.uggaustralia.com/ProductDetails.aspx?gID=m&productID=5800&model=Classic+Short

They are the originals (also available in womens sizes) and by far the best.
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't touch the Decker Ugg's on a point of principal. Another example of big business trying to take away something that has been made for years by local suppliers. As far as I'm aware Deckers make the ones with the registered name, they are no better quality than the boots being made by Australian suppliers before they decided to register the name. And they have a bloody cheek trying to stop Australian businesses using a name that they have used for decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugg_boots

My best ones are from New Zealand.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger5737 wrote: »
    I'm hoping i'm going to be of some use here! :)

Simple answer, the ones from Ugg Australia.

The original ones (mens classic shorts) are the originals which were worn by the Australian sheep farmers/shearers and are seen on men still to this day.

http://www.uggaustralia.com/ProductDetails.aspx?gID=m&productID=5800&model=Classic+Short

They are the originals (also available in womens sizes) and by far the best.

I went on that website, and that was my impression also.

Thanks for all replies.
  • Options
    Roger5737Roger5737 Posts: 2,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I went on that website, and that was my impression also.

Thanks for all replies.

I bought mine from Bank (and got the certificate of authenticity etc). But Ugg Australia, Bank and other reputable stores are going to be the best. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    It's you're happy to buy a cheap version you'd save a fortune just going to the High Street, it must cost loads to get them shipped over from China when they're only fakes anyway.