Haywire

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just got back from watching it. I enjoyed it overall. Some good, well choreographed and brutal-looking fight scenes as well.

Obviously the comparisons with Bourne will be there and this wasn't necessarily better than Bourne but all in all I'm glad I saw it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed it, particularly Gina Carano who did a descent job.
    The plot was OK, but the characters needed more history/background and a subplot wouldn't have gone a miss.

Descent Saturday night action flick.
  • xxdeeniexxxxdeeniexx Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    As OP said, the Bourne comparison's are inevitable, but IMO it's not a patch on Bourne.

Too much retro soundtrack and not enough dialogue.

I actually thought the acting from the main female lead was terrible and really let the movie down.

Columbiana had a much more convincing female lead.

I would have been upset if I had paid to see this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    does michael fassbender die in that fight scene with gina? put it in a spoiler if anyone can answer!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    03mj2808 wrote: »
    does michael fassbender die in that fight scene with gina? put it in a spoiler if anyone can answer!
    He does. Once she's eventually taken him down, she puts a pillow over his head and shoots him.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very stylish and insubstantial, but great fun. Soderbergh's great at dissecting the relationships between his characters and exploring the world around them, often in slow lingering takes that drift out-of-focus. None of which makes for an exciting action film, but he just about gets away with it thanks to the lithe, smouldering Carano, despite most of the fights being overtly choreographed.

Fantastic David Holmes score and beautiful locations, too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Saw this on Wednesday and thought it was rubbish,really boring and the pay off at the end finding out who did what was predictable from the start.Thought it seemed like a made for tv movie you would find on bravo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hocus2012 wrote: »
    Thought it seemed like a made for tv movie you would find on bravo.

Bravo? The channel that closed down a year ago?

It's not a major contribution to cinema but it's not that bad!
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i must say i don't like steven soderberg his films just seem 'smug'

thought haywire was awful. the lead has never acted before and it shows, terrible blank expression all the way through the film

he also films is so it's NOT an action film if you know what i mean? long drawn out chases that sap your energy watching them etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »

thought haywire was awful. the lead has never acted before and it shows, terrible blank expression all the way through the film

he also films is so it's NOT an action film if you know what i mean? long drawn out chases that sap your energy watching them etc

Isn't that the point, to see it from her point-of-view? For example the chase on foot in Dublin, where we walk with her, seeing all the potential bad guys and all the potential escape routes. It's more like stylised video game footage than a straight-ahead chase sequence and as such I agree it's not for everyone but it worked for me.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    I know I'll probably like it as I can't get enough a girls with guns action films. And this gal can really do the business, being an MMA champ an' all. And they also film a lot of the action in static medium shot, meaning you can actually see what the hell is going on. None of the close-up ultra-rapid cutting stuff where you've no idea who's doing what to whom.

Regards

Mark
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    xxdeeniexx wrote: »
    I actually thought the acting from the main female lead was terrible and really let the movie down.
    Columbiana had a much more convincing female lead.
    I would have been upset if I had paid to see this.
    Gina has zero acting Talent.....and I, if i had paid, would want my money Back.
    ....and very 'Dull'.

Plot predictable..and...Action laughable.{that Deer}....1/10...worst film I've seen, in many a Year.

Flavour of the Month, Fassbender.....Was he auditioning for Bond.....And what was that accent.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool, slick, sexy, arthouse spy thriller. Loved it.

Worth seeing for the soundtrack alone. It won't win any awards for originality and probably comes too soon after Angelina Jolie's 'Salt', which trod similar ground.

Gina Carano, I thought, was excellent - very edgy, nervous, throughout and a total powerhouse when it came to the physical aspects of the films. Long, tracking shots (the chase sequence), sometimes only accompanied by the pulsing soundtrack, other times total silence. The standout fight sequence between her and Fassbender was bone-crunchingly good, with Fassbender doing a pre-audition role for the next 007 it seemed. Rest of the heavyweight cast were fine, but could probably have been filled with lesser known actors. Soderberg seems to have a way with all-star casts.

Should DC / Warners ever get off their ar$e and make a Wonder Woman movie (unlikely, I know), Carano is my new hot contender for the role; sexy, well built and dead gorgeous too boot.

And yes - I too wished to be in Fassbender's place when she had his head in a thigh-hold...:D

7/10 - recommended.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    I too wished to be in Fassbender's place when she had his head in a thigh-hold...:D
    Though not a few moments later I'd imagine.

Regards

Mark
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see it Saturday, walked out half way, it was terrible, the main character in it Malerie was sooo annoying, the music was annoying and the story was boring
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I read that the lead is a MMA star and not an actor.
    Is this a big budget film by a major studio or is it similar to those that the WWE put out. I know they play act in the WWE but giving them all movies is going a bit far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I read that the lead is a MMA star and not an actor.
    Is this a big budget film by a major studio or is it similar to those that the WWE put out.

Budget estimated at $25 million according to imdb. Made by independent production company Relativity Media

It's more in the indie/arthouse vein than mainstream Hollywood blockbuster and therefore won't please those who expected a conventional action movie.
  • jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed it and also enjoyed the 70's inspired soundtrack by David Holmes. :)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it. Mostly for the visual style and the lead actress. It had a different feel to other action thrillers, and it was good to have a heroine who was solidly built, and didn't have all the answers straight away.
    the lead has never acted before and it shows, terrible blank expression all the way through the film
    Um, no? Having read your comment before viewing, I occasionally looked for this, and didn't see it. Her face varied and was expressive.

I do think she never seemed really phazed by what was going on, or scared. She seemed to treat each situation as a puzzle to be solved, or a physical challenge to overcome. I see that more as a facet of the character than a weakness in the actress. It meant the movie lacked a degree of emotional involvement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    Very stylish with a 70's feel to it, but it took me ages to figure out what was going on, the main girl wasn't bad though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seen this last night (cheap night :D )

loved it, didnt realise she had never acted before until i read up on it afterwards, ended up seeing it only because the film i wanted to see wasnt on
    so i went in not knowing what to expect, and was very pleasantly suprised.
    but loved the whole dublin sequences as i have been in the hotel and knew most of the sights,going to dublin regularly

7/10
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this today and thought it was terrible. One of the worst films I've seen recently. I wanted to walk out after twenty minutes to be honest but stayed in the hope that I hadn't wasted my money.

The female lead was uninteresting. Obviously cast for her ability to kick ass but lacking the acting skills that might make me feel for her.

The only part that peaked my interest was the sequence in Dublin where she was getting chased as I thought it was well filmed. I guess the opening sequence had you wanting to find out more too but it turned out I actually didn't.
  • spursgaleaspursgalea Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was one of those films that fooled me. I sew the tralier
    And it looked good but the film was boring as hell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I thought it was awful. The lead actress was terrible. The music was awful, the plot was boring and predictable, the cinematography was all wrong for the film - jumping about one minute and then artistic shots the next. It just really was awful. Very disappointed.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this.
    Started off well, quite intriguing.
    Quickly went downhill with the dullest flattest ending ever.

Great fight sequences, especially the Fassbender one, cannot save this from being a let-down.