What channels do you want on Freeview in 2013?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondering what channels people hope will launch on Freeview in 2013?

A new UKTV channel looks a strong possibility but what else? Maybe a new HD channel?

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    What we want and what we'll get are two different things. As for the potential new UKTV channel, I hope that turns out to be Eden rather than Home :eek: or Blighty :eek::eek::cry:

I think Freeview could also do with an extra film channel, e.g. TCM or Sony Movies and it would be good to see one of the CBS channels on Freeview too.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Many more quality HD stations.
  • dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I know it will be a controversial suggestion but I'd like to see BBC1+1 and BBC2+1. We would then have +1 versions of all the main 5 channels which I would find quite useful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dachse wrote: »
    Well I know it will be a controversial suggestion but I'd like to see BBC1+1 and BBC2+1. We would then have +1 versions of all the main 5 channels which I would find quite useful.

Another thread covers this - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1775119
    and I don't think it will happen.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    CNBC or Bloomberg should launch on it.
  • tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see eurosport have the knackers to do it.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least one of the CBS channels, CNBC or Bloomberg and France 24.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    At least one of the CBS channels, CNBC or Bloomberg and France 24.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants CNBC on it :D
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would anybody like to see Capital FM TV go national? Currently it's only in Manchester.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here is my usual list of demands....

watch or eden. though it split the slot and run home on 26 in the mornings.

horror channel

nhk world

scuzz

kix
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Just wondering what channels people hope will launch on Freeview in 2013?

A new UKTV channel looks a strong possibility but what else? Maybe a new HD channel?

These things tend to veer to the personal choice of the poster, or completely unrealistic "O WHY CANT WE HAVE EUROSPORT/ SKY MOVIES/SPORTS 1-4 ON FREEVIEW ?" posts. What people want and what people expect are something different.

What I want

1. Less adult channels
    2. Less shopping channels
    3. More foreign language channels (TV5, DWTV, RAI Internatonal, TVE Internacionale, CNN etc)

What I expect

1. More adult channels
    2. More shopping channels
    3. More useless +1 channels
    4. Perhaps another part time UKTV/speciality channel
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things I wouldn't mind seeing

Bloomberg (Always been wanted and I think it would fill a gap)
    CNN (Has been on Freeview before so could be again)
    Eurosport (Launch of BT Sports may trigger them to consider a Freeview launch)
    CBS channels including Horror Channels
    Something that plays music 24/7
    A revamped Blighty!

End of Top Up TV see some good Free channels!
    Hopefully a few shopping channels removed!
    BBC 2 HD (And Still keep BBC HD as a showcase for other content)
    Channel 5 HD (This would give us the 5 main channels in HD)
    Removal of some Adult channels! Seriously they are all the same rubbish!
    More IPTV channels would be good!
    A New T2 mux even if it is a mirror of a current mux but with added channels!
    All Freeview SD equipment stop being sold!
    Some revamp of BBCi with the use of IPTV and Democracy live maybe replacing BBC Parliament, think it would boost offering and move Parliament to IPTV!
    And basically more to move Freeview towards T2 only broadcasts and IPTV almost greater integration with youview, to provide more long term stability for customers and much greater choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Eurosport would be great.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh I'm past caring about Freeview now.

It's all inevitably low bitrate and low resolution nowadays and that just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Just can't watch most of the channels anymore due to the appalling picture quality.
  • GBNL012GBNL012 Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see some UKTV channels and documentary ones like Discovery and PBS america. Some local channels will launch which will be available on Freeview http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/localtv/statement/local-tv-statement.pdf.
    I'm looking forward to BBC 2 HD (but it's replacing BBC HD). As more and more TV's are internet enabled too, I think there should be more internet channels (if over the air isn't available).

Here's an interesting page on Wikipedia I've found for this subject by the way scroll down to where it says 'Future channels and events', not much is happening on DTT but some things are (ITV 1 will be ITV, for example).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_the_United_Kingdom

Apparently Ofcom will take some of the frequencies used by DTT (Freeview) and use them for 4g.

Have a good new year everyone!
  • Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    These things tend to veer to the personal choice of the poster, or completely unrealistic "O WHY CANT WE HAVE EUROSPORT/ SKY MOVIES/SPORTS 1-4 ON FREEVIEW ?" posts. What people want and what people expect are something different.

What I want

1. Less adult channels
    2. Less shopping channels
    3. More foreign language channels (TV5, DWTV, RAI Internatonal, TVE Internacionale, CNN etc)

What I expect

1. More adult channels
    2. More shopping channels
    3. More useless +1 channels
    4. Perhaps another part time UKTV/speciality channel

Less adult channels?! How about no adult channels. Just license them for satellite (Sky or Freesat - don't 'cause I won't be watching them).

Maybe room for a few shopping channels, if one feels they're necessary, but not part time in addition to full time.

Plus Ones, get rid.

Some data channels, get rid.

More quality from less channels, please.
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ideally I would like Eurosport but there is more chance of me meeting an alien called Fred.

I like a proper doucumentry channel.
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Watch.

Freeview needs a general entertainment channel like this imo
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I'd like to be added and isn't totally out of the realms of possibility:

Channel 5 HD
    Home
    CBS Drama
    CNN
    TCM/MGM

What I'd like to be dropped (none of which will happen):

ITV1+1
    Channel 4+1
    Channel 5+1
    ITV2+1
    E4+1
    Community
    All shopping channels
    All sex channels
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I want

Sky movies
    Sky Sports
    Sky Atlantic
    Sky one

:rolleyes:

I am kidding of course.

Freeview is pants. lucky I can get cable now
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What I'd like to be dropped (none of which will happen):

ITV1+1
    Channel 4+1
    Channel 5+1
    ITV2+1
    E4+1
    Community
    All shopping channels
    All sex channels

Possible one of the +1 might go due to high costs if they need to save a bit of money.

Community isn't likely to.

All shopping channels won't as they are quite profitable! But maybe sit-up will go bust! Remember the reason then cited pricedrop came back was because people complained!

Most of the adult channels are the same! And I guess the only reason we have them is because overnight space is cheap and nothing better to put on! Though I would rather have 10 channels of different colour paints drying!

Also I would like to see an agreement between mux operators for minimum bandwidth standards! And hopefully better quality of any T2 muxes. Im lucky as I live close to the transmitter and don't have really any issues with picture quality.

I think in 10 years we will be talking about the end of DTT!
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    As much as i hate +1 channels on Freeview, they won't go because they are created for one reason, and thats as an added revenue stream.
    They do make a fair bit of money same as the slapper-on-a-sofa channels and well, id happily seem all +1 & slapper channels gone from Freeview, but as said, more chance of meeting an alien called fred than that happening.

What id like:
    Eurosport
    Watch
    Fox

What will happen:
    Slapper channels
    Shopping channels
    Bitrate reduction that makes youtube look HD-ish!
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    Watch.

Freeview needs a general entertainment channel like this imo

Don't get me wrong I would really love to see watch come to freeview. But, we already have quite a good bunch of general entertainment channels. (E4, itv 2, Dave.)

What we need more of, is niche entertainment channels, get a bit of deversity in there too.

We already have yesterday, food network, challenge, & quest.

What about, eden, home, the travel channel, the horror channel, vintage tv, scuzz.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    id happily seem all +1 & slapper channels gone from Freeview, but as said, more chance of meeting an alien called fred than that happening

Although Russia Today has had news reports over the holiday period of visiting aliens working with the American government. They didn't say if any of them were named Fred. :rolleyes:
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview is pants. lucky I can get cable now

And still can't get Sky Atlantic. :p