Options

vaslav's thoughts on Cora Cross and Ann Mitchell (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lorraine Newman wrecked many characters, She wrecked Ava and Cora's relationship by bringing in Dexter and Sam and not exploring the Mother/Daughter relationship and instead gave us that stupid kidney storyline.

Cora still has her Grand- daughters as well as Dexrer plus it's almost a dead cert Tanya will be back- I would like to know about Cora's background- does she Brothers, Sisters.

I think she is far from finished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patrick is still there he has no family left really.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Lorraine Newman wrecked many characters, She wrecked Ava and Cora's relationship by bringing in Dexter and Sam and not exploring the Mother/Daughter relationship and instead gave us that stupid kidney storyline.

Cora still has her Grand- daughters as well as Dexrer plus it's almost a dead cert Tanya will be back- I would like to know about Cora's background- does she Brothers, Sisters.

I think she is far from finished.
    Exactly. LN wrecked it and it's too late to fix it now that Ava's gone! The Hartman's should all just slip away. They're a waste of space and not what the show needs. They had potential but as you said, LN didn't put them right. It's not like Sharon where she has 28 years of history to have people still cling on to her and want more of her, and warm to her quickly again despite the bad writing. The Hartman's are all quite new characters that Newman was unable to make us warm to. We didn't have a very good first impression of them so it's pointless trying to build them back up again as the viewers frankly don't care for them.

Her grand daughters and Dexter do not matter because as I said, she doesn't care about her family!!! She isn't family-orientated to step up when her family need her and take control like a proper matriarch, she'd rather sit on her arse drinking. As I said, there was potential for that to change but it's too late now.

And if Tanya does come back it'll be years and even when she does it'll be too late to do anything with Cora.

Cora brings NOTHING to the show and her and Dexter should just go IMO. There is nothing to do with her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Patrick is still there he has no family left really.
    But Patrick has years of history on the show and because of hsi traits he makes a good patriarch towards Denise and Kim, and like Dot, he's popular in the community. Cora doesn't care enough about her family to be considered a matriarch and nobody would care if she left.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cora is a vile old hag .

A drinker and gambler , she recently tore into Krusty for keeping a roof over her head by paying off the bailiffs.

It's as if they've made her deliberately awful :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's see what happens in 2014...
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cora doesn't need to be a matriarch to stay on the show. She has got family ties still in the show so there's still a reason for her to be there. If they care to develop her, they will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Cora doesn't need to be a matriarch to stay on the show. She has got family ties still in the show so there's still a reason for her to be there. If they care to develop her, they will.

Looking forward to seeing Cora v Aunt Babe.
  • Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Cora was brilliant when she became a regular and was excellent through the Tanya's cancer storyline. She was very much the matriach at that time. But when they did the long lost daughter storyline, her character fell apart. All we see now is Cora sitting down and making sniddy comments. The fact that Tanya is no longer there also diminishes her character.

I hope in 2014 they give her character a bit of reboot, otherwise the actress will leave. Anna Mitchell is a brilliant actress and find it an insult people built her up as Peggy's replacement, as she is a much better actress and has more layers to her then what Peggy does.

I think Ann Mitchell has been a much needed addition to the cast of EE. She is so much more of a better actress than Babs Windsor. I hope she gets some proper storylines soon, the problem with EE at the moment is they've hired some good actors but not used them to their full potential and instead brought back past characters who have no relevance to the show as it is now.
  • Options
    Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    But Patrick has years of history on the show and because of hsi traits he makes a good patriarch towards Denise and Kim, and like Dot, he's popular in the community. Cora doesn't care enough about her family to be considered a matriarch and nobody would care if she left.

I believe they missed the boat on not making Patrick Denise's biological father. Denise said her father was a member of the band he was in and it would have been nice to give Patrick a daughter and granddaughters.
  • Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Patrick's been more of a father figure to Denise and Kim than their real father, whoever he is, has ever been. I love that they have a close bond in spite of not having biological connections. Proves it's not blood that counts in the end when it comes to being a good parent or parent figure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B*witched wrote: »
    I think Ann Mitchell has been a much needed addition to the cast of EE. She is so much more of a better actress than Babs Windsor. I hope she gets some proper storylines soon, the problem with EE at the moment is they've hired some good actors but not used them to their full potential and instead brought back past characters who have no relevance to the show as it is now.

I totally agree - whenever Ann is in scene she owns it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing Cora v Aunt Babe.

You say this as if you know for sure it's going to happen. Vaslav - what you want to see happen on EE and what will happen on EE are two completely different things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know there are a lot of Cora haters on here at the moment but to those who like Cora...

Is her current unpleasantness a build up to a Storyline? I hope so myself...
  • Options
    LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there are a lot of Cora haters on here at the moment but to those who like Cora...

I like her & she was a very good match as Tanya's mum as they have the same smile
    However don't think Ava looks like a mixed raced woman ?
    Ann Mitchell is a good actress they should give her a strong storyline
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on Cora. Not the fault of the actress but her character is really unpleasant at times, hard, unfeeling and very selfish. Her only redeeming feature is that she likes to have a good time and is not stuffy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cora is hard, selfish and at the moment pretty unpleasant but I am really hoping this is a preface to a storyline- beneath all of that she is lonely and bitter but as an Actress Ann Mitchell could really carry a big storyline...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I'm not keen on Cora. Not the fault of the actress but her character is really unpleasant at times, hard, unfeeling and very selfish. Her only redeeming feature is that she likes to have a good time and is not stuffy.

Cora is the Sharon of 2014 at the moment - I can only hope there is a reason behind this on DTC's part.
  • Options
    Forum Member

She's always been unpleasant...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cora is the Sharon of 2014 at the moment - I can only hope there is a reason behind this on DTC's part.
    No she isn't. Why do you keep saying this when you have been proven wrong so many times?

Sharon is one of EE's best characters, been on the show since day 1 and has been through some of the shows biggest SL's. So when she was made unlikable, it's no wonder fans were annoyed

Cora is a nobody and always has been. Nobody really cares about her on or off the show, and she's always been nasty. It's not as if she's faced a sudden dip.
  • Options
    nightwish1990nightwish1990 Posts: 1,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Cora were to leave tomorrow would anyone really notice. She has made no impact since she joined. She was good when Tanya was in it but since then she has done nothing.
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cora has really grown on me since I last posted on this thread and I really like her now. Ann Mitchell deserves a decent storyline. I wish her and Patrick would get on better. I hope the recent Cora scenes aren't a build up to her leaving the Square as I've been enjoying her character. As a veteran actor Ann Mitchell can handle a storyline written especially for her. When Aunt Babe arrives on the Square properly her and Cora might clash, probably over Patrick but will then likely become firm friends. I don't want to see Cora as just a bit part character.
  • Options
    nigel12nigel12 Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Cora is that they can't make up their mind what to do with her.

She had a great enjoyable friendship with Dot. They ruined that. Her and Patrick keep changing they are together, apart, friends - they would be really great just together and having companionship/dancing.

She likes a drink permanently and has a high opinion of herself but is always sponging of people. She needs a self-awareness scene where she makes us see why she's like this and that she's aware of how she behaves to make us more sympathetic.

However - the actress is brilliant, she has some great one liners and the character could be superb with some more clarity and direction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nigel12 wrote: »
    The problem with Cora is that they can't make up their mind what to do with her.

She had a great enjoyable friendship with Dot. They ruined that. Her and Patrick keep changing they are together, apart, friends - they would be really great just together and having companionship/dancing.

She likes a drink permanently and has a high opinion of herself but is always sponging of people. She needs a self-awareness scene where she makes us see why she's like this and that she's aware of how she behaves to make us more sympathetic.

However - the actress is brilliant, she has some great one liners and the character could be superb with some more clarity and direction.

I know from a source that Ann Mitchell has no intention of leaving EastEnders and DTC won't axe her. Ann is a brilliant actress but Cora' s current behaviour is not pleasant and I hope there is a reason for this - it would be great if they could get Tanya Frank back as Rainie- Cora' s issues are all to do with her failings as a Mother - that is why she is so bitter.
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nigel12 wrote: »

BIB I agree with you about Cora and Patrick. It's a shame they are not together. I can see Patrick taking a shine to Aunt Babe and Cora will be jealous. If this happens I'd like to see a new man for Cora. She might be older but still likes a good time.
This discussion has been closed.