Options

why are us ratings so low?

zeebre12zeebre12 Posts: 1,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I always wondered why viewing figures in the US are so low..the population is over 5 times the UK but the highest viewed shows are always around the same as the UK..for example coronation street is watched by around 7 million in the UK and the biggest programmes in the US get around that much viewers. also for example the x factor here gets over 10 million views and American idol over there gets around the same..i also found it weird how viewing figures for some cable channels can be less than a million. for a country with a population of over 320 million how come shows get the same amount of viewers like the UK with nearly 5 times less population..why arnt their shows getting ratings of over 50 million?

Comments

• Options
    tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have notices this also but big shows like the big bang theory gets like 22 million viewers in america.

I dont think they are big on tv in usa.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because they have so many more TV channels.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,993
    Forum Member
    With the ridiculous scheduling for TV, certainly drama over there, I'm surprised figures aren't lower. I don't know how they can stay invested in a show for 24 episodes when they will air some shows for 3 weeks, off for 2, on for 2, off for 2 etc right throughout the season. It makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the ridiculous scheduling for TV, certainly drama over there, I'm surprised figures aren't lower. I don't know how they can stay invested in a show for 24 episodes when they will air some shows for 3 weeks, off for 2, on for 2, off for 2 etc right throughout the season. It makes no sense to me.

Most of their breaks are for sporting events so it's more understandable to the Americans than it is to us.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I think its due to the amount of online content they now have i mean have you seen there Netflix...always updated with shows and current ones alot quicker then we are plus they have other sites like netflix like Hulu.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered about this too. Maybe it's got something to do with the east coast and west coast, receiving content at different times.
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much as has been said. I mean American Idol at its prime was getting 20+m every week. Big Bang Theory is the same. CSI until Grissom left was getting 20+m viewers and even now it still is averaging 11m viewers That is a numbver our biggest shows in SCD and XF would love to average but this is for a drama of 24 epsiodes from Sept - May. That here would be lucky to get 3/4 million and would see big drops and peaks in between. How I met your mother averaging about 10m for a comedy series. It also doesn't help as has been said the massive difference in time from end to end. Here if shows are on at 9pm it's 9pm north - south - east - west. In America 9pm Eastern is 6pm Pacific so ratings could be ll over the place. 9pm pacific is midnight Eastern. (pretty sure that's right :D ) which means you could have a fantastic ratings on 1 side and p1ss poor the other side.

I also think the channels in america are different to ours. It's not like we have where if you have sky/virgin etc you have basically all the channels. They are done differently over there and popular shows on a network might be popular but not shown to many people because it's on a certain network channel. Take HBO, Don't think it is in all american household like NBC would be. TheCW is another that shows lots of shows in America that have cult followings but isn't broadcast everywhere unlike here where the shows broadcast there might be put on ITV ir Channel 4 and so be available to all.

Finally, I'd say a lot of people wait and watch online or on netflix etc because in america the shows stop/start a lot and can be interrupted for political speeches/american football games/American Idol finals or live shows...I've even seen a few shows I watch be delayed due to Xfactor USA finals so it could be on 2 weeks, off 3, back for 2 then has a mid season break for 7 weeks to be back for 3 then off for a week and who wants to watch that in real time? you just wait 10 weeks then watch at your pace uninterrupted.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plus even when you watch an episode in the US there is are advert breaks every few minutes. It's no wonder binge-watching of DVD boxsets and on streaming services are becoming so popular.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The figures you quote are overnights, millions more access the content by other means.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I simply could get into any show, shown like it is in America. It would drive me around the bend with all the adverts and breaks not knowing when the next episode was.

Mind you the Discovery channels here were a bit like that: Mixing new episodes with old one till you didn't know when the next one was or found out that you had missed it.
  • Options
    dizziedizzie Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    Pretty much as has been said. I mean American Idol at its prime was getting 20+m every week. Big Bang Theory is the same. CSI until Grissom left was getting 20+m viewers and even now it still is averaging 11m viewers That is a numbver our biggest shows in SCD and XF would love to average but this is for a drama of 24 epsiodes from Sept - May. That here would be lucky to get 3/4 million and would see big drops and peaks in between. How I met your mother averaging about 10m for a comedy series. It also doesn't help as has been said the massive difference in time from end to end. Here if shows are on at 9pm it's 9pm north - south - east - west. In America 9pm Eastern is 6pm Pacific so ratings could be ll over the place. 9pm pacific is midnight Eastern. (pretty sure that's right :D ) which means you could have a fantastic ratings on 1 side and p1ss poor the other side.
    That's not what happens though (for the most part). If a show is 9pm, then it's shown at 9pm Eastern time, whilst being shown at 8pm local time in the Central time zone. Then, at 9pm local time, it's shown on the west coast (3 hours after it aired on the east coast). Lots of Americans access online live streams though, so they can catch a show as it airs on the east coast.But, for ratings, they're gathered at the local broadcast time in each timezone. It's just timezones like Central and Mountain that may be watching a show at 8pm local time, when it's 'standard' broadcast time is 9pm (have you heard the people using the phrase 'watch x at 9/8 central'- that's what it means).

Live events though are different. If a football game kicks off at 8pm East coast time, it's being broadcast at 5pm on the west coast. It's why events like the Oscars tomorrow start mid-afternoon local time, in order that the east coast can watch and the event finish before midnight in their region! Usually, the ceremony starts at 5.30pm PST, which is 8.30 EST. In the PST timezone, it's barely 9pm at night when the show finishes, but it can be very late on the east coast!
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The proliferation of OD services such as Netflix, Hulu etc is so much more engrained in the States than here... Although we are quickly becoming that way. Don't forget they had tivo waaaaaaaay before us.

Also there are so many more channels for people to watch now. Cable has taken a chunk out of the networks... It doesn't help the main networks that the broadcasting rules for cable are more relaxed than those of the networks in terms of the fcc. Much more riskier content on cable.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    tim18 wrote: »
    I have notices this also but big shows like the big bang theory gets like 22 million viewers in america.

I dont think they are big on tv in usa.

i think that might be completely wrong.

that would be my thought.
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    I think its due to the amount of online content they now have i mean have you seen there Netflix...always updated with shows and current ones alot quicker then we are plus they have other sites like netflix like Hulu.

most people watch tv the old fashioned way. last figures i have are from 2011 when 1.4% of tv viewed in the US was streamed. it's obviously more now.

but it's by no means doubling the audiences given in the ratings.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeebre12 wrote: »
    how come shows get the same amount of viewers like the UK with nearly 5 times less population..why arnt their shows getting ratings of over 50 million?

The main reason is the way their channels operate. In the UK we have five main PBS (Public Broadcast Service) terrestrial broadcasters that everyone has access to, which is where the majority of our TV airs and where the "big" shows can be watched. Then there is Sky for those who want a subscription package for additional content, usually exclusives like Game of Thrones or similar.

In the US their PBS channel isn't the one showing the major TV programmes, it shows things like programmes from BBC America (if I remember rightly) and other bought in programmes, usually informational. The big shows are commissioned by and air on the big three commercial network channels ABC, NBC or CBS, with Fox coming in a close fourth and The CW in fifth place, and people have to sign up to receive those via their local broadcast affiliate (again if I remember rightly). Then there's cable and satellite like HBO, Starz, Showtime etc, which all require a subscription and then they have local independents (like the religious channels etc).

There's lots and lots of TV in the US for people to chose from and it's why the key demographic 18-39 age group is so important for ratings. They also include time shifts and +1 and +3 demographics where people have watched a specific programme on DVR.

That's because you're not an American used to their TV schedule. It's completely normal for their TV shows.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member

Have they got that many more than us now?
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's because they have always had so much choice, it's taking time here for people to move away from the terrestrial channels
  • Options
    fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »
    That's not what happens though (for the most part). If a show is 9pm, then it's shown at 9pm Eastern time, whilst being shown at 8pm local time in the Central time zone. Then, at 9pm local time, it's shown on the west coast (3 hours after it aired on the east coast). Lots of Americans access online live streams though, so they can catch a show as it airs on the east coast.But, for ratings, they're gathered at the local broadcast time in each timezone. It's just timezones like Central and Mountain that may be watching a show at 8pm local time, when it's 'standard' broadcast time is 9pm (have you heard the people using the phrase 'watch x at 9/8 central'- that's what it means).

Live events though are different. If a football game kicks off at 8pm East coast time, it's being broadcast at 5pm on the west coast. It's why events like the Oscars tomorrow start mid-afternoon local time, in order that the east coast can watch and the event finish before midnight in their region! Usually, the ceremony starts at 5.30pm PST, which is 8.30 EST. In the PST timezone, it's barely 9pm at night when the show finishes, but it can be very late on the east coast!

Just wanted to say how informative I found your response!
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    The figures you quote are overnights, millions more access the content by other means.

Yup.. either through time shifting:

"At the start of the fall [2012] TV season, 46% of U.S. homes had a DVR,"

or through streaming:

"TV may still dominate the advertising market, but the audience for online video is soaring, with 58 percent of the U.S. population streaming"
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Have they got that many more than us now?

I dunno. Checking my cable provider, their channel listing for my area shows 564 channels.

Now a chunk of that is SD duplicates, for example channel 1692 is Fox Soccer Plus, while channel 692 is the SD version of that channel. (and yes, that is a channel devoted entirely to international soccer. http://www.foxsoccerplus.com/schedule )

But you can't quite cut that in half because not every channel has an SD version.. I'd estimate only about 100 of those channels have SD versions... most are HD only.