Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I'd rather he didn't :D.

Yes, on second thoughts your right.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also agree but it would mean the packages that have been tendered are slightly different to the ones that are broadcast (which of course if it is the FAs own interest to do, they should do.)
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schedules are out for the first International break

No Football League Show on BBC 1

However FA Cup Round 1 does have Championship Football so I reckon

They will have BOTH Championship and Fa Cup highlights back to back after MOTD on Saturday 8th November
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Judio wrote: »
    Schedules are out for the first International break

No Football League Show on BBC 1

However FA Cup Round 1 does have Championship Football so I reckon

They will have BOTH Championship and Fa Cup highlights back to back after MOTD on Saturday 8th November

No great shock, but really in my view there's no reason for there not be be an FLS on international weekends. My thinking is kind of "well yeah ok more people probably want to watch the Championship goals so an FLS showing just Championship goals is sort of fair enough, but when there's a full programme (ok 1 or 2 games postponed due to international call ups, but to all intents and purposes it's a full programme) in the 2 leagues below that they should have an FLS as well".

Not like they'd have an MOTD or FA Cup highlights to contend with in any sort of ratings war against the FLS
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They dont even need the studio

2 years ago Manish just went to the ground which Sky were showing and presented from there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC have already confirmed they will be showing the FA Cup highlights as part of the MOTD banner. And why wouldn't they.
  • Options
    mrs brownmrs brown Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    The BBC have already confirmed they will be showing the FA Cup highlights as part of the MOTD banner. And why wouldn't they.

Yeah it is one of the most loved shows on British TV
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On 1st/2nd round weekends, they'll put FLS on BBC 2 I imagine

Isn't one of them Rememberance weekend when MOTD is often on late?

I'd imagine the PL MOTD will be 45 mins.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    On 1st/2nd round weekends, they'll put FLS on BBC 2 I imagine

Isn't one of them Rememberance weekend when MOTD is often on late?

I'm not sure why this is such an issue, whatever you have to add onto Match of the Day for the FA Cup you take it away from the Football League Show because there's no Leagues One and Two.

Let's say Match of the Day starts at 10.30 and the Premier League coverage runs to 11.50. Whack an extra forty minutes on the end of that for the FA Cup, comparable to the 55 minutes or so with adverts it had on ITV. Then the Football League Show starts at 12.30 and the Championship coverage usually lasts about forty minutes so it ends at 1.10am. As opposed to this weekend just gone when The Football League Show ended at... 1.10am. So what's the difference?

Yes, it may well be on later if it's Remembrance weekend, but the same is also true for the Last Night of the Proms and the clocks going forward and it's not an issue then. Now it's repeated the following morning, what does it matter?

And yes, I'm 100% certain the FA Cup coverage will be on Match of the Day. As mentioned before, the reason the Football League coverage is on a different programme is because it's an independent production and they wanted it to be an independent production because it's on every week and so it helps the Beeb meet the requirement of X hours of independent productions a week. If they wanted it to be on Match of the Day, they could (hence why live games went under that banner). The FA Cup isn't on every week so there's no need to make it an independent production so it won't be. And there's no way the FA won't want it to be on Match of the Day.
  • Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will the premier league want fa cup games featuring lesser teams tagged onto the end of their programme though - commercial branding for them and match of the day is cohesivly a premier league programme and the pl will want it to stay that way.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    will the premier league want fa cup games featuring lesser teams tagged onto the end of their programme though - commercial branding for them and match of the day is cohesivly a premier league programme and the pl will want it to stay that way.

The Premier League has no say on the matter as the programme (MOTD) does not have 'premier League' in its title.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have they already said their thoughts to the bbc on the matter and the bbc will probably differentiate match of the day - fa cup match of the day etc - as this is sensible
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have they already said their thoughts to the bbc on the matter and the bbc will probably differentiate match of the day - fa cup match of the day etc - as this is sensible
    Why? "Match of the Day (Live)" has been used for pretty much all live football coverage on the BBC, no matter the competition, club or international. Why should highlights be any different?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Erm it is not sensible at all! MOTD is one of the most loved programs that the BBC has, and the BBC have being making a thing of it being 50 this year. They are going to keep it moreorless the same as it was before when they had both the FA Cup highlights and the Premier League highlights, which was to put the FA Cup highlights onto the program after the Premier League highlights.

Why would they do it any different?

The Premier League benefits from being on MOTD as they found out when ITV won the highlights rights, and ITV tried to redo the show.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FA Cup 1st/2nd round highlights were shown at the end of MOTD when the BBC last had the contract. There's no reason to suggest things will be different this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    FA Cup 1st/2nd round highlights were shown at the end of MOTD when the BBC last had the contract. There's no reason to suggest things will be different this time.

If the sporting authorities incorporated some of the clauses suggested on this forum, no broadcaster would ever buy the rights. The authorities are in the business of making things attractive for broadcasters to buy, not penalise them by adding a million conditions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the sporting authorities incorporated some of the clauses suggested on this forum, no broadcaster would ever buy the rights. The authorities are in the business of making things attractive for broadcasters to buy, not penalise them by adding a million conditions.
    I think arius did once suggest that the Football League wants its highlights in a show with a "distinct identity". But that suits the BBC because it adds to their independent production quota.

The FA would never make such a stipulation because they know how valuable the MOTD brand is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think arius did once suggest that the Football League wants its highlights in a show with a "distinct identity". But that suits the BBC because it adds to their independent production quota.

The FA would never make such a stipulation because they know how valuable the MOTD brand is.

Yes, and by doing it in a separate show it ensures Match of the Day itself doesn't go on for two and a half hours which the audience would find unappealing. But as we know, when they had the live games they all went under the MOTD banner with the theme tune and the regular MOTD personnel. In the first series of The Premiership, 2001/02, for a while they showed one or two significant Division One goals at the end of the show.
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would take that claim/suggestion with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gazza1982 wrote: »
    If I want your advice on trust, I'll ask for it.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    There is no logical reason for League 1 and 2 sides to play league games but not cup games during international breaks.

There actually would be a logical reason - the Crewe-Notts County game, which was meant to be played on the day of an international break, was postponed due to international call-ups. And I believe it's easier to rearrange a league game than a cup one (especially if the cup game needs a replay).
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gazza1982 wrote: »

Irony at it's peak
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all this is hearsay shall we wait and see
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all this is hearsay shall we wait and see
    Translation: "I've posted rubbish and now need to save face".